Facebook

Good,bad,andrush

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get all of the whinybaby hatred for FB. Don't have an account. Normal, intelligent people know how to use it and make it fun. Idiots act like idiots.

Big Whoop! Waaa waaa waaa

moon.gif

I find it entertaining to see online meltdowns and TMI about drunk poster's personal lives.

Just what we need...another whining thread about how awful Facebook is. I love the irony of using social media to bash other social media.

Maybe the OP should just have nothing but TRFers as FB friends.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jul 22 2011, 11:09 PM)
Just what we need...another whining thread about how awful Facebook is. I love the irony of using social media to bash other social media.

Maybe the OP should just have nothing but TRFers as FB friends.

Even bigger irony - not knowing that this is an old thread in which you've already posted in smile.gif

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jul 22 2011, 10:10 PM)
I don't get all of the whinybaby hatred for FB. Don't have an account. Normal, intelligent people know how to use it and make it fun. Idiots act like idiots.

moon.gif

I find it entertaining to see online meltdowns and TMI about drunk poster's personal lives.

yep

on the Young and the Restless, they call it "Face Place". laugh.gif

Regarding Facebook, as long as my personal info is secure (meaning only friends can see pics, posts, etc...) then I'm fine.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 30 2011, 07:40 PM)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...e.html?ITO=1490

that can happen using a telephone. You're just having a conversation using a different medium.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jul 22 2011, 07:10 PM)

moon.gif

Two whines don't make... Anything

I like Facebook- I use it mostly to keep in touch with family and friends who are not close by. I just ignore anything I am not interested in like game requests, etc. It is what you make of it.

QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Jul 31 2011, 11:56 AM)
I like Facebook- I use it mostly to keep in touch with family and friends who are not close by. I just ignore anything I am not interested in like game requests, etc. It is what you make of it.

I agree. Not even considering those apps/games...what if someone took a photo of you doing something stupid or embarassing 7 or 8 years ago and posted it on facebook (naturally, without you knowing about it until later)? Sure, the photo shows you doing that "thing". There's no denying that. And sure you can take your name off that photo that so that others can't find it FROM THAT POINT ON. But that can't stop your family or others from finding it before then. A mistake shouldn't be immortalized for the world to see [unless YOU are actually the one posting your own stupid thing].

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I am now officially required to use Facebook for college.

...Kind of.

It seems, after the extended orientation camp I just got out of (which I must say was amazingly fun) they mentioned FB all. The. Time. Apparently even the professors will make pages so that their students can organize study groups. In fact, from Power-Up Weekend there's already a page. I've even been communicating with my roommates through Facebook because texting just takes way too long. xD

So I suppose I'll just have to learn to appreciate it/deal with it for practicality's sake.

But I still refuse to update my status unless it's really worth it. Which is like once a month.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 30 2011, 11:00 PM)

I agree. Not even considering those apps/games...what if someone took a photo of you doing something stupid or embarassing 7 or 8 years ago and posted it on facebook (naturally, without you knowing about it until later)? Sure, the photo shows you doing that "thing". There's no denying that. And sure you can take your name off that photo that so that others can't find it FROM THAT POINT ON. But that can't stop your family or others from finding it before then. A mistake shouldn't be immortalized for the world to see [unless YOU are actually the one posting your own stupid thing].

Well in this case, and maybe its because we're older, my friends and I check before we tag. I would never tag, or even post, a picture of a friend that might be considered controversial, without checking first.

I might be considered a Facebook addict.

I'm on it frequently and it's usually reading other people's statuses (I'm a bit nosy but I almost never comment), playing games, and chatting with friends.

I think it's a great website for its purpose.

Google+ is a new one that's supposedly going to be the next big social networking site.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 1 2011, 09:34 PM)
I don't have one. I'm alive.

I hate how people try to force you into making one. Talk at my face, not my facebook.

I know what you mean - my friend still tries to get me added to it.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 1 2011, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 30 2011, 11:00 PM)

I agree. Not even considering those apps/games...what if someone took a photo of you doing something stupid or embarassing 7 or 8 years ago and posted it on facebook (naturally, without you knowing about it until later)? Sure, the photo shows you doing that "thing". There's no denying that. And sure you can take your name off that photo so that others can't find it FROM THAT POINT ON. But that can't stop your family or others from finding it before then. A mistake shouldn't be immortalized for the world to see [unless YOU are actually the one posting your own stupid thing].

Well in this case, and maybe its because we're older, my friends and I check before we tag. I would never tag, or even post, a picture of a friend that might be considered controversial, without checking first.

(If it wasn't obvious already) I was actually stating something that happened to me. I'm in my late 30s and the guy that posted those pics is in his mid 20s. I'd think that someone in their mid 20s would know to ask me first before posting something that MIGHT BE even remotely controversial. I asked another friend (in his late 20s) for his opinion. He knows both of us and said that he doesn't see the problem. He thinks it's more of a difference of opinion due to us being from different generations. Half-joking/half-serious I said, "So your generation doesn't have common sense? I'm sure your wife and family would LOVE to see some of the obscene/lascivious pics that I have of you from back in the day."

I thought it's pretty simple: Don't post old pics of me doing stupid shit without consulting me first.

Disclaimer: I'm not too pissed off actually. It just mystifies me that someone wouldn't even think twice about posting some of the shit they do. And 'no' you can't completely avoid idiocy no matter how many settings you put. It's the human condition.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 1 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 1 2011, 09:34 PM)
I don't have one. I'm alive.

I hate how people try to force you into making one. Talk at my face, not my facebook.

I know what you mean - my friend still tries to get me added to it.

I'm 14 so basically everyone I know has a Facebook and they ask me ALL THE TIME to get one. SO ANNOYING! rage.gif

Facebook is a fantastic resource in so many ways. Each user must decide how they want to use it. It's the single most powerful marketing tool on the planet.

Remember, if you put FB down for all the shit people post, it's your own fault for allowing them to be your friend. Facebook was meant to be used by you and your friends only. Choose them carefully and you will never have to worry about shit being posted on your wall.