Facebook

Good,bad,andrush

Gave it another shot recently. Quit in two days. I strongly believe it can be a very very useful tool, but the people there utilize it incorrectly, and it's so damn annoying how so many people on that site can't differentiate between your and you're.

A lot of people there are just idiots, but that's me being a hypocrite. Such a shame that such a marvelous invention is practically shat on by so many.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 17 2011, 02:50 PM)
Gave it another shot recently. Quit in two days. I strongly believe it can be a very very useful tool, but the people there utilize it incorrectly, and it's so damn annoying how so many people on that site can't differentiate between your and you're.

A lot of people there are just idiots, but that's me being a hypocrite. Such a shame that such a marvelous invention is practically shat on by so many.

Provide examples of how folks aren't using it correctly. How are they idiots? How do they shit on it? If you believe it can be very very useful then why would you let several numbnuts ruin it for you? I'm not even really disagreeing. I just want to hear how you came to these conclusions.

Also, getting upset over folks mistaking "Your" and "You're" seems a bit petty [and this is coming from someone that corrects English papers/essays nearly every day].

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2011, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 17 2011, 02:50 PM)

Provide examples of how folks aren't using it correctly. How are they idiots? How do they shit on it? If you believe it can be very very useful then why would you let several numbnuts ruin it for you? I'm not even really disagreeing. I just want to hear how you came to these conclusions.

Also, getting upset over folks mistaking "Your" and "You're" seems a bit petty [and this is coming from someone that corrects English papers/essays nearly every day].

Well, my aunt and her daughter are obsessed with Fakebook. On her daughter's birthday, my entire family was at their house. At midnight (when it became her birthday), her mother rushed to the computer to be the first one to wish happy birthday. I personally find it more meaningful to say happy birthday in person. And then people wish you a happy birthday and they don't know you, and that's as superficial as it gets. I mean, yeah, it's nice and all, but if you see someone in person and can't manage a smile, why act like friends on FB? Because it's cool to have the most comments? And I used your/you're as an example of how many errors everyone makes, and how the efficiency of the keyboard is causing language to deteriorate. I posted one nice thing, kind of weird (a song title and lyric) and I got a comment reading: suck my dick gay, after I rub it in your mom's tits! And everyone likes that instead of the song.

People also follow whatever trend is new, displaying no originality of their own whatsoever. It just seems mindless.

And to utilize correctly, I suppose, would be to keep in touch with distant friends and relatives and to strengthen business communications, as well as groups like the school community service team or stuff like that. Or heck, to invite a couple of friends to star bucks.

Not to write about some guy's dick up his ass and write about how massive your shit was. I'm not exaggerating; that's what I see. And girls do that kiss face or dress up like sluts...and everyone has to like it and say the same thing: you're so pretty girrrrrrrrl wink.gif)))))))))

That has no meaning to me...what happened to actually getting together and discussing stuff in person? People shouldn't have more than a few pictures unless they traveled somewhere or are professionals. No one wants to see all 23 versions of the same damn photo.

I know people who use it to keep in touch and aren't being silly with it...but the majority of people just use it and end up showing their ignorance, lack of originality, and in some cases sheer stupidity.

And I'm sorry for being stereotypical and arrogant, but this is what I'm seeing and it just bothers me. Had to get it off my chest.

And what a hypocrite I guess, for spending too much time on TRF tongue.gif

my god, who the hell cares? honestly. Post updates that YOU think are meaningful and worthwhile, and don't read the ones that you think aren't. And as if people's grammar on the REST of the internet isn't just as horrible, if not worse. So your friends' facebook activity doesn't pass the test of your standards...so what? are you the supreme overlord of the facebook kingdom? are you going to start handing out apostrophe tickets?

Complaining about facebook is overrated. Google can be used for a lot of dumb horrible things too, but I don't see anyone talking about what a wretched site it is eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 17 2011, 01:59 AM)
my god, who the hell cares? honestly. Post updates that YOU think are meaningful and worthwhile, and don't read the ones that you think aren't. And as if people's grammar on the REST of the internet isn't just as horrible, if not worse. So your friends' facebook activity doesn't pass the test of your standards...so what? are you the supreme overlord of the facebook kingdom? are you going to start handing out apostrophe tickets?
Complaining about facebook is overrated. Google can be used for a lot of dumb horrible things too, but I don't see anyone talking about what a wretched site it is eyesre4.gif

Woah, buddy laugh.gif

Can't I state why I don't like it? I' actually still kinda new to the Internet, okay? I go to TRF, Progarchives (not a member) and YouTube. YouTube pisses me off too, but I don't read comments anymore. Occasionally, I'll visit gamefaqs but I don't play games much. I had a myspace but my girlfriend controlled it.

So I really am sorry for complaining. I don't want to be overlord, and just so that you know I feel some of your posts are borderline snobby as well, so I wouldn't be talking. Just because you study music doesn't mean your opinions and claims are better than anyone else's.

I'm just saying it's sad to see people in my own school displaying a stale and trite personality ripped off of whoever is "hot" at the moment. It pains me to not get noticed by anyone in the hallways, but on facebook everyone pretends to like me. It pains me that people perfunctorily press the like button on everything just because everyone else likes it.

I'm sorry for being a noob, all right? I'm just expressing my opinion with a forum of seemingly original people. I have seen for myself that Rush fans tend to have more variety than fans of mainstream pop. It's practically a fact. I'm talking generally, of course.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 17 2011, 02:59 AM)

Google is a search engine. Facebook is an online community. Not a good comparison. wink.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 17 2011, 03:13 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 17 2011, 01:59 AM)
my god, who the hell cares? honestly.  Post updates that YOU think are meaningful and worthwhile, and don't read the ones that you think aren't.  And as if people's grammar on the REST of the internet isn't just as horrible, if not worse.  So your friends' facebook activity doesn't pass the test of your standards...so what?  are you the supreme overlord of the facebook kingdom?  are you going to start handing out apostrophe tickets?
Complaining about facebook is overrated.  Google can be used for a lot of dumb horrible things too, but I don't see anyone talking about what a wretched site it is eyesre4.gif

Woah, buddy laugh.gif

Can't I state why I don't like it? I' actually still kinda new to the Internet, okay? I go to TRF, Progarchives (not a member) and YouTube. YouTube pisses me off too, but I don't read comments anymore. Occasionally, I'll visit gamefaqs but I don't play games much. I had a myspace but my girlfriend controlled it.

So I really am sorry for complaining. I don't want to be overlord, and just so that you know I feel some of your posts are borderline snobby as well, so I wouldn't be talking. Just because you study music doesn't mean your opinions and claims are better than anyone else's.

I'm just saying it's sad to see people in my own school displaying a stale and trite personality ripped off of whoever is "hot" at the moment. It pains me to not get noticed by anyone in the hallways, but on facebook everyone pretends to like me. It pains me that people perfunctorily press the like button on everything just because everyone else likes it.

I'm sorry for being a noob, all right? I'm just expressing my opinion with a forum of seemingly original people. I have seen for myself that Rush fans tend to have more variety than fans of mainstream pop. It's practically a fact. I'm talking generally, of course.

ignoring the ad hominem attacks for right now, because they add nothing to anything in any context, and they are not relevant to anything in this thread.

So your complaint is that everyone is shallow. Okay, I agree. But it has nothing to do with facebook, and it bugs me that so many people blame facebook. You think that somebody updates their status "going to starbucks!" because Facebook has caused them to be shallow and update everyone on things that nobody cares about, but in reality it's because they believe it's worth sharing, because that's what society has taught then.

A facebook post is no different from a message board post. It's up for the rest of the internet to see. I don't expect everybody to read and care about any of my posts, I'm simply posting because I have something to say.

I should also point out that most of your examples represent a very particular (and very annoying) portion of facebook users. There are probably a couple dozen who are always all over your news feed uploading pictures from their blackberry every 3 minutes, but the rest of them use the site "properly", it's just that their presence is quieter so you don't notice it as much.

Stop identifying problems that don't exist. Each user uses facebook the way they want to use it, and for everybody that's different. And instead of blaming society's decline on facebook, blame facebook's decline on society.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 17 2011, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2011, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 17 2011, 02:50 PM)

Well, my aunt and her daughter are obsessed with Fakebook. On her daughter's birthday, my entire family was at their house. At midnight (when it became her birthday), her mother rushed to the computer to be the first one to wish happy birthday. I personally find it more meaningful to say happy birthday in person. And then people wish you a happy birthday and they don't know you, and that's as superficial as it gets. I mean, yeah, it's nice and all, but if you see someone in person and can't manage a smile, why act like friends on FB? Because it's cool to have the most comments? And I used your/you're as an example of how many errors everyone makes, and how the efficiency of the keyboard is causing language to deteriorate. I posted one nice thing, kind of weird (a song title and lyric) and I got a comment reading: suck my dick gay, after I rub it in your mom's tits! And everyone likes that instead of the song.

People also follow whatever trend is new, displaying no originality of their own whatsoever. It just seems mindless.

And to utilize correctly, I suppose, would be to keep in touch with distant friends and relatives and to strengthen business communications, as well as groups like the school community service team or stuff like that. Or heck, to invite a couple of friends to star bucks.

Not to write about some guy's dick up his ass and write about how massive your shit was. I'm not exaggerating; that's what I see. And girls do that kiss face or dress up like sluts...and everyone has to like it and say the same thing: you're so pretty girrrrrrrrl wink.gif)))))))))

That has no meaning to me...what happened to actually getting together and discussing stuff in person? People shouldn't have more than a few pictures unless they traveled somewhere or are professionals. No one wants to see all 23 versions of the same damn photo.

I know people who use it to keep in touch and aren't being silly with it...but the majority of people just use it and end up showing their ignorance, lack of originality, and in some cases sheer stupidity.

And I'm sorry for being stereotypical and arrogant, but this is what I'm seeing and it just bothers me. Had to get it off my chest.

And what a hypocrite I guess, for spending too much time on TRF tongue.gif

I see what you're saying. I sometimes get "friended" by my old high school classmates with all the standard "Hey buddy! How've you been? What are you up to?" stuff. Back in those high school days of the late 80s, I never even talked to those folks. Hell, I didn't even know them enough to hate them. But there they are on Facebook looking me up and contacting me. My reply to those guys is pretty straight-forward: I don't reply. No harm no foul. People have been superficial for the longest damn time. Facebook merely lets people do that to a much greater extent. And since the capacity to be fake exists in that community, then so does the capacity to give others a genuine kind word.

As for your "big shit" example, my oldest bro used to tell me that kind of fluff back in the late 70s. If there had been facebook back then, he probably would've posted that info.

I think of Facebook as "the online humanity" with everything that that phrase entails.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 16 2011, 10:50 PM)

Yeah, it's ubiquitous and annoying, but I have one nonetheless. I could throw the Egypt example at you though, protestors wouldn't have organized as well had it not been for facebook. Actually, facebook being usefeul but the users not doing jack - it kind of sounds like us and the world right now.. (meh, too SOCN)...

Oi.. Either way, don't get too riled up about it.

Your kind of overreacting when it comes to certain details, dude.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 17 2011, 03:11 AM)
Fakebook
Farcebook
Arsebook

Meh...

Fakebook, now we're talking. I used to carry around a copy that I bought out of the back of a car near Berkeley Music School in Boston. Thought I was pretty hip...couldn't play a damn thing out of it at the time.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 17 2011, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 16 2011, 10:50 PM)

Yeah, it's ubiquitous and annoying, but I have one nonetheless. I could throw the Egypt example at you though, protestors wouldn't have organized as well had it not been for facebook. Actually, facebook being usefeul but the users not doing jack - it kind of sounds like us and the world right now.. (meh, too SOCN)...

Oi.. Either way, don't get too riled up about it.

I guess overreacting but I haven't seen anything like it. The only place I have use YouTube but everyone is anonymous there and some people do it to be funny...here everyone publicly makes an idiot out of themselves.

And fledgehog, I blame the downfall of society on a lot of things, and Facebook is one. But like Kenneth said, it can be a useful organizer, if used "correctly." and I really hadn't seen that behavior anywhere else. Didn't know it was the minority, because every single person out of the 40 or so was acting like that except 1.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 17 2011, 05:37 AM)
Fakebook
Farcebook
Arsebook

Meh...

Fakebook, now we're talking. I used to carry around a copy that I bought out of the back of a car near Berkeley Music School in Boston. Thought I was pretty hip...couldn't play a damn thing out of it at the time.

I don't know if she knows what you are talking about.

laugh.gif

I can see why it's the greatest thing since sliced bread if you have family scattered across the globe.

Me, I'm fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it, heh) to have most of my friends & family within a short drive. If I "like" something, I can tell them in person and maybe we can even have a face-to-face conversation about it. smile.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 17 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 17 2011, 05:37 AM)
Fakebook
Farcebook
Arsebook

Meh...

I don't know if she knows what you are talking about.

laugh.gif

Obviously not..! tongue.gif Besides, I was merely pointing out the alternative names for that blessed site..(!) biggrin.gif

Edited by Babycat

I think Facebook is amazing for getting people together for parties and celebrations and the like, or for publicizing events.

Some people like it for more than that (like keeping in touch with friends and family), some people don't like it at all (like me).

And by the way FB is a lot better than Xanga and Myspace, in my opinion of course.. But those are pretty dead nowadays anyways. tongue.gif

I hate Facebook too. Lost a lot of real life friends over it. Even my own brother would talk to me more if I were on Facebook laugh.gif

TRF will be as close to social networking as I'll ever get.

Facebook is a device which makes certain types of communication easier. As such, it is whatever you make of it. It may draw out certain characteristics of other people's personalities (either positive or negative), but it doesn't create them.

It's got its good moments and bad moments. I wish everybody's profiles weren't so hidden though, and I'm speaking of people I haven't added. I'd like to see some info on you before adding you.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 17 2011, 04:53 PM)
I hate Facebook too. Lost a lot of real life friends over it. Even my own brother would talk to me more if I were on Facebook laugh.gif

TRF will be as close to social networking as I'll ever get.

Me too. People will send me e-mails wanting me to see their pictures, and it's a f***ing Facebook link. Unless it's been made public (and I understand why some people don't want to do that), I can't view.

One or two people have gotten offended that I won't join Facebook just to see their pictures. Oh well, sorry. Tried that twice - once under my real name, once under an alter.

The second time I shut it down almost as soon as it was activated - the first thing that happened was that FB sent me a bunch of "friend" suggestions based on the information it had mined out of my e-mail contacts. Um, no, sorry. I understand the privacy settings work fine, but it seems as if it's a second job keeping up with the rules changes on those. But dammit, don't go digging through my e-mail before I've even had a chance to get to the privacy settings.

If - and that is a HUGE "if" - I ever try again, I will do two things. One is get a new IP address, and the second is that I will establish a "Facebook-only" e-mail account. Doubt I'm going to bother with it again, though.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 17 2011, 05:09 AM)
and it's so damn annoying how so many people on that site can't differentiate between your and you're.

I guess overreacting but I haven't seen anything like it. The only place I have use YouTube but everyone is anonymous there and some people do it to be funny...here everyone publicly makes an idiot out of themselves.

I don't think your getting my point old.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 17 2011, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 17 2011, 05:09 AM)
and it's so damn annoying how so many people on that site can't differentiate between your and you're.

I don't think your getting my point old.gif

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

I don't see any problem with Facebook. I use it to talk to friends that I don't see often and to follow bands and other fan pages. If you don't want assholes commenting on your status, then why not delete them? You can also hide people if you don't want to see their shit on your homepage. I must have at least 20 people hidden because I could care less what they're doing every five minutes. I understand why someone wouldn't like Facebook, but not using it because of a few people seems a little extreme to me.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 17 2011, 02:46 AM)
I should also point out that most of your examples represent a very particular (and very annoying) portion of facebook users. There are probably a couple dozen who are always all over your news feed uploading pictures from their blackberry every 3 minutes, but the rest of them use the site "properly", it's just that their presence is quieter so you don't notice it as much.

This is very true. I have about 45 friends on my FB, but my News Feed is dominated by 2 or 3 people.