Facebook

Good,bad,andrush

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I check Facebook about eight or more times a day. Probably much more. I have no problem with it, really, and it's my "first stop" website when I log on.

Are there issues with it? Sure. Like any kind of Internet communication, it's imperfect. Social networking isn't as intimate as real life: as an example, an acquaintance of mine died and I was the only one of her 160 "Facebook friends"to go to her funeral. So, "friendships" can be superficial on Facebook. On the other hand, I've re-connected with old friends I haven't seen in many many years, and a group of high school friends now gets together every three months for a gathering - that's a regular social event in my life which wouldn't have happened without Facebook. There are some good things about it.

On balance, it is what it is, and as someone else said, it's what you make of it.

The things said in the original post make me think of MySpace more than Facebook. I had to leave MySpace for Facebook because of all the freaking 14-year-old girls and their silly concerns on MySpace; their saddle shoe, middle school existence. I don't want to take "quizzes" with questions like "Have you ever kissed a boy? Who's the last person who texted you? Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob? Tee hee hee..." That place is over-run with ditsy teeny boppers. On Facebook, you have more control over who you're interacting with.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 2 2011, 08:46 AM)
Has anyone tried the new Google version of Facebook. Can't remember what it's called.

I think it's called "Google + Social Networking." I'm curious, but I can't figure out how to access it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 1 2011, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Aug 1 2011, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 30 2011, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Jul 31 2011, 11:56 AM)
I like Facebook- I use it mostly to keep in touch with family and friends who are not close by. I just ignore anything I am not interested in like game requests, etc. It is what you make of it.

I agree. Not even considering those apps/games...what if someone took a photo of you doing something stupid or embarassing 7 or 8 years ago and posted it on facebook (naturally, without you knowing about it until later)? Sure, the photo shows you doing that "thing". There's no denying that. And sure you can take your name off that photo so that others can't find it FROM THAT POINT ON. But that can't stop your family or others from finding it before then. A mistake shouldn't be immortalized for the world to see [unless YOU are actually the one posting your own stupid thing].

Well in this case, and maybe its because we're older, my friends and I check before we tag. I would never tag, or even post, a picture of a friend that might be considered controversial, without checking first.

(If it wasn't obvious already) I was actually stating something that happened to me. I'm in my late 30s and the guy that posted those pics is in his mid 20s. I'd think that someone in their mid 20s would know to ask me first before posting something that MIGHT BE even remotely controversial. I asked another friend (in his late 20s) for his opinion. He knows both of us and said that he doesn't see the problem. He thinks it's more of a difference of opinion due to us being from different generations. Half-joking/half-serious I said, "So your generation doesn't have common sense? I'm sure your wife and family would LOVE to see some of the obscene/lascivious pics that I have of you from back in the day."

I thought it's pretty simple: Don't post old pics of me doing stupid shit without consulting me first.

Disclaimer: I'm not too pissed off actually. It just mystifies me that someone wouldn't even think twice about posting some of the shit they do. And 'no' you can't completely avoid idiocy no matter how many settings you put. It's the human condition.

It actually wasnt obvious, but yea, you'd THINK someone in their mid20s would have a little more common sense, but something has really changed. Not saying ALL mid 20 somethings are clueless, but a lot of them. Or maybe, I'm just old now! LOL (i'm in my early 40s)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 2 2011, 09:50 AM)
Has anyone tried the new Google version of Facebook. Can't remember what it's called.

I think it's called "Google + Social Networking." I'm curious, but I can't figure out how to access it.

Love it. Tonnes of potential for sure, especially for photographers.

Some discussions on RP forum on this.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 2 2011, 09:55 AM)

Barney, how do you access it?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 2 2011, 10:06 AM)

You have Gmail? PM me your address. You have to be invited.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 2 2011, 10:07 AM)

seriously? (about having to be invited)

I use it, great for keeping in touch with old friends, posting up pics of the family.

Professionally it's really good too, I put up special offers, hints and tips on our corporate site and it's really helpful, and it's free!

Free marketing, there's a concept.....

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 2 2011, 09:07 AM)

Oohh, I've been wanting to try it. But when I tried to go to the Google+ page it said that they were no longer accepting beta testers or something? Something about a trial period?

If I PM you my Gmail address could you send me an invite? (:

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Aug 2 2011, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 2 2011, 09:07 AM)

Oohh, I've been wanting to try it. But when I tried to go to the Google+ page it said that they were no longer accepting beta testers or something? Something about a trial period?

If I PM you my Gmail address could you send me an invite? (:

Sure, you too CT. Yup, serious. I was invited and got on first day.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 2 2011, 05:55 AM)

What kind of goodies does it have for photogs?

I keep getting invited, now I wish I would have taken it... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 21 2011, 08:43 AM)
I swear, I have NO idea what people are talking about regarding drama. Get your friends, lock down your page, and boom! Private little community with no one discussing body parts in other body parts over a posted song quotes. Who are you friends with that they would do this??

I have some 200+ "friends" Old friends, new friends, family...I find out about parties, jobs, events I might not otherwise know about. I keep in touch with far flung family, and am happy to hear of their joys and successes, and can send support if they are in need. Whether it be right on FB, or pick up the phone, or send a card.

I've deleted people with no reprecussion. And been deleted. Whatev. I move on.

Look, people are busy, and this is a quick way to pop in on your own little community, check its collective health, and send a smile their way. Play a game. Become part of bigger communities, RUSH, and in my case, AUTISM sites.

Facebook really is what you make of it, and I personally think its quite a nice addition to the internet.

*like*

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Aug 4 2011, 05:25 AM)
I swear, I have NO idea what people are talking about regarding drama.  Get your friends, lock down your page, and boom!  Private little community with no one discussing body parts in other body parts over a posted song quotes.  Who are you friends with that they would do this??

I have some 200+ "friends"  Old friends, new friends, family...I find out about parties, jobs, events I might not otherwise know about.  I keep in touch with far flung family, and am happy to hear of their joys and successes, and can send support if they are in need.  Whether it be right on FB, or pick up the phone, or send a card.

I've deleted people with no reprecussion.  And been deleted.  Whatev.  I move on.

Look, people are busy, and this is a quick way to pop in on your own little community, check its collective health, and send a smile their way.  Play a game.  Become part of bigger communities, RUSH, and in my case, AUTISM sites.

Facebook really is what you make of it, and I personally think its quite a nice addition to the internet.

*like*

Yup. Sums it up nicely I would say. Just block people who are annoying and be smart about what you post. Problem solved.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Aug 4 2011, 05:25 AM)
I swear, I have NO idea what people are talking about regarding drama.  Get your friends, lock down your page, and boom!  Private little community with no one discussing body parts in other body parts over a posted song quotes.  Who are you friends with that they would do this??

I have some 200+ "friends"  Old friends, new friends, family...I find out about parties, jobs, events I might not otherwise know about.  I keep in touch with far flung family, and am happy to hear of their joys and successes, and can send support if they are in need.  Whether it be right on FB, or pick up the phone, or send a card.

I've deleted people with no reprecussion.  And been deleted.  Whatev.  I move on.

Look, people are busy, and this is a quick way to pop in on your own little community, check its collective health, and send a smile their way.  Play a game.  Become part of bigger communities, RUSH, and in my case, AUTISM sites.

*like*

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif GeddyRulz and ladirushfan80 like this.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 4 2011, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 21 2011, 07:43 AM)
Facebook really is what you make of it

trink39.gif

[end of thread]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/facebook_like_button_big.jpg

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 4 2011, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 21 2011, 07:43 AM)
Facebook really is what you make of it

trink39.gif

[end of thread]

that's silly. you can end every thread like this with the second post. doesn't sound like fun, though.