Facebook

Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 17 2011, 04:53 PM)
I hate Facebook too. Lost a lot of real life friends over it. Even my own brother would talk to me more if I were on Facebook laugh.gif

TRF will be as close to social networking as I'll ever get.

goodpost.gif That is exactly how I feel.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the behavior I experience on there is nowhere near that juvenile, but then again, I have mostly people my age (40-ish) who follow the same bands I do and who I've met on places like this. We're spread far and wide, so it's a good way of staying in contact until we (might) meet up again at a show. Maybe you need to give FB a rest until your circle of friends changes, which it's bound to over the next several years.

I'm active in several Rush groups there, and those are fun; again, it's more the types you'd meet here. I gave up on the games when I got into Rush and wanted to spend time catching up on things related to the band. I did have a few people from another band's scene delete me over what I think is their not wanting to hear me respond to Rush posts, but this is a big part of my life now, and if they don't want to be happy for me, they're going to miss out on more than I'm likely to.

I recently posted a pic of my friend's 2112 sighting, and it got the best discussion going about Rush, not just among the hardcore Rush fans, but others too...these are the times that FB is great. Bottom line, it's definitely the people you're friends with.

It is what you make of it. If you are tired of seeing someone post over and over you can just defriend them with one click of the mouse. Not that hard.

The most annoying thing to me is when girls post bible verses as their status, and then turn right around and post pictures of their being sluts. It is one of the most hypocritical things that I see on a daily basis.

Kind of funny - my stepmother recently got a new computer as a birthday gift. Her daughter was setting some stuff up for her and said, "hey, Mom, you need to come over and pick out a password."

"Password? For what?''

"I'm setting up a Facebook account for you."

Shriek of horror. "DON'T YOU DARE!!!!!" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Beth (stepsister) tried to persuade her for a while, but Gail (stepmom) was firm. No Facebook. Her POV is that if her brother in Florida (for example) wants to communicate, he can call or e-mail.

And really, it's probably not for her. She's not totally computer-illiterate, but she'd have a hell of a time keeping up with all the format changes Facebook seems to go through.

Well considering I have friends from all over the continent, and never get to see them, I consider it very helpful.

Plus all the people the pop up on your feed thingy, you can take them off if they're annoying, or just not add them as a friend confused13.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 18 2011, 05:33 AM)
Kind of funny - my stepmother recently got a new computer as a birthday gift.  Her daughter was setting some stuff up for her and said, "hey, Mom, you need to come over and pick out a password."

"Password?  For what?''

"I'm setting up a Facebook account for you." 

Shriek of horror.  "DON'T YOU DARE!!!!!"  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  Beth (stepsister) tried to persuade her for a while, but Gail (stepmom) was firm.  No Facebook.  Her POV is that if her brother in Florida (for example) wants to communicate, he can call or e-mail.

And really, it's probably not for her.  She's not totally computer-illiterate, but she'd have a hell of a time keeping up with all the format changes Facebook seems to go through.

I know how your stepmother feels - a friend of mine tried to add me as a friend - I told her straight: no way. To be honest, it's really not something I could go for - it's okay if anyone else wants to set up an account with FB, for catching up with old school friends (I thought that was what Friends Reunited was for, and I remember reading that some peoples' marriages broke up because of that site). My friend still tries on odd occasions, but still I say no. I just don't want to.

I know you can just "de-friend" people whose you find annoying on FB, but that's not without its own set of issues at times. No problem if you defriend someone you've never met. Do it to someone you know (and maybe even actually like in real life - they're just one of those people like GB&R mentions on FB: way overactive on it) and prepare for possible fallout.

On my first account I made the mistake of "friending" a couple of people I later wished I hadn't. They were the kind who, when they'd see you, would say, "Hey, I poked you five times and you never responded!" Uh, yeah, because I see or talk to you five hundred times a day and I might log onto FB once or twice a week. They are the kind of people who would get all butthurt if you even restricted their access to parts of your pages. One was my really religious sister-in-law, so I got all the religious stuff sent my way (she's blocked on my e-mail for that reason) and I couldn't even be my usual irreverent self with her looking over my shoulder. De-friending these people would have caused unwanted drama. But I lost interest in it after a point anyway, so I just made it where no one could find me to "poke" me. If they "like" something, they can either tell me in person or e-mail me the link. smile.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 17 2011, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 17 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 17 2011, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 17 2011, 03:11 AM)
Fakebook
Farcebook
Arsebook

Meh...

Fakebook, now we're talking. I used to carry around a copy that I bought out of the back of a car near Berkeley Music School in Boston. Thought I was pretty hip...couldn't play a damn thing out of it at the time.

I don't know if she knows what you are talking about.

laugh.gif

Obviously not..! tongue.gif Besides, I was merely pointing out the alternative names for that blessed site..(!) biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw Fakebook. There was a book called the Real Book that used to get distributed under the radar that had all of the melodies and chords written out for all of the standards. If you had one, you were hip in the music community.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 18 2011, 01:47 PM)

The most annoying thing to me is when girls post bible verses as their status, and then turn right around and post pictures of their being sluts. It is one of the most hypocritical things that I see on a daily basis.

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. - Galatians 5:19-21

I stopped reading that at "...works of the flesh are evident" and went straight to the bending over cleavage shot! tongue.gif

trink38.gif

I'm sure I read somewhere that out of 3 million fans of FB, 100,000 of them have reportedly logged off, as it were, deleted their accounts. I could be wrong about that.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2011, 12:47 PM)
I'm sure I read somewhere that out of 3 million fans of FB, 100,000 of them have reportedly logged off, as it were, deleted their accounts. I could be wrong about that.

Still, that's only 3%. And I'd guess that they've had a lot more than 100,000 join in the time it took for those 100,000 to split.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 21 2011, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2011, 12:47 PM)

Still, that's only 3%. And I'd guess that they've had a lot more than 100,000 join in the time it took for those 100,000 to split.

Fair point - I see what you mean.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 21 2011, 12:27 PM)
It's like anything else..people are excited about it for a while and then it wears thin later on.

I've never gotten excited about it in the first place...

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 21 2011, 09:27 PM)
It's like anything else..people are excited about it for a while and then it wears thin later on.

You mean like hip hop music, The Simpsons, and South Park? tongue.gif

Actually, that'd suit me fine. I only joined because most folks are too lazy these days to reply by regular email.

I swear, I have NO idea what people are talking about regarding drama. Get your friends, lock down your page, and boom! Private little community with no one discussing body parts in other body parts over a posted song quotes. Who are you friends with that they would do this??

I have some 200+ "friends" Old friends, new friends, family...I find out about parties, jobs, events I might not otherwise know about. I keep in touch with far flung family, and am happy to hear of their joys and successes, and can send support if they are in need. Whether it be right on FB, or pick up the phone, or send a card.

I've deleted people with no reprecussion. And been deleted. Whatev. I move on.

Look, people are busy, and this is a quick way to pop in on your own little community, check its collective health, and send a smile their way. Play a game. Become part of bigger communities, RUSH, and in my case, AUTISM sites.

Facebook really is what you make of it, and I personally think its quite a nice addition to the internet.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 21 2011, 12:38 PM)

Actually, that'd suit me fine. I only joined because most folks are too lazy these days to reply by regular email.

I actually like to send and receive emails, funnily enough.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2011, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 21 2011, 12:38 PM)

I actually like to send and receive emails, funnily enough.

So do I. If I send one the old-fashioned way I may or may not get a reply from whichever friend or family member it is. But if I send one through facebook there's ALWAYS a reply...and usually within 48 hours.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 21 2011, 08:43 AM)
I swear, I have NO idea what people are talking about regarding drama. Get your friends, lock down your page, and boom! Private little community with no one discussing body parts in other body parts over a posted song quotes. Who are you friends with that they would do this??

I have some 200+ "friends" Old friends, new friends, family...I find out about parties, jobs, events I might not otherwise know about. I keep in touch with far flung family, and am happy to hear of their joys and successes, and can send support if they are in need. Whether it be right on FB, or pick up the phone, or send a card.

Look, people are busy, and this is a quick way to pop in on your own little community, check its collective health, and send a smile their way. Play a game. Become part of bigger communities, RUSH, and in my case, AUTISM sites.

Facebook really is what you make of it, and I personally think its quite a nice addition to the internet.

I agree..you make it what YOU make it and what you put into it. You can either:

1. Enjoy it to the fullest - no holds barred with no restrictions.

2. Enjoy it as YOU police it; weeding out who you don't want.

3. Dump it.

So simple it is.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jun 21 2011, 07:43 AM)

I guess I should've been more clear.

It was sad to me because people I thought were good friends are doing this stupid stuff, and there was even talk about me since they knew I didn't have a facebook. It wasn't that bad but they were making fun of me.

There was just certain people there that appeared to be good friends but on facebook they were complete idiots.

I'm sorry, this is just what i have seen, but FB has brought out an idiot in most of my friends. I know I can delete them or whatever, but when practically everyone I knew was acting this way, why not delete it?

Again, before some of you argue with me...this is only something I have personally seen. In my life, not yours. If facebook works for you, great. It doesn't work for me. And no matter who you are, it does bring out the laziness in people, like JohnnyBlaze said. We shouldn't need anything more than an e-mail really. And they are fast and efficient, but we're still too lazy to respond. And as for finding people you haven't kept in touch with...your life may have been fine without them, or if there isn't already there should be a search engine for finding people you are looking for. E-mails have profiles too, don't they?

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/barack-obama1.png

He is just the coolest!

Edited by tick

I like facebook cause it helped me get back in touch with family members, old friends, and I dont include people on my friends list JUST because we went to high school together lol.

I know, I'd say....95% of my friends on there in real life. I dont count facebook interaction as personal interaction.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 17 2011, 04:37 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 17 2011, 03:11 AM)
Fakebook
Farcebook
Arsebook

Meh...

Fakebook, now we're talking. I used to carry around a copy that I bought out of the back of a car near Berkeley Music School in Boston. Thought I was pretty hip...couldn't play a damn thing out of it at the time.

trink39.gif Was looking for one of my guitar books about a month ago and stumbled upon my Fakebook as well. Hadn't looked at it in probably 10 years