Neil to be on Letterman..

liddybuck01

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jun 11 2011, 05:27 AM)
Nice to see him on Letterman, good solo although I do miss the blazing thunder of the 70's and 80's but I know aging sucks (don't I know that).

Yeah, solo was ok... But if he did one of those solos from the late 70s/early 80s he wouldve tore the f$%king roof down!!

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 11 2011, 05:30 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jun 11 2011, 05:27 AM)
Nice to see him on Letterman, good solo although I do miss the blazing thunder of the 70's and 80's but I know aging sucks (don't I know that).

Yeah, solo was ok... But if he did one of those solos from the late 70s/early 80s he wouldve tore the f$%king roof down!!

Yep. It really needed more cowbell. bolt.gif

I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed by it, and I can't imagine it came over too well to non-fans.

The electronic drum effects worked in the 80's, especially when they were really into keys/synths, but they seem dated now. And then the whole big band music thing doesn't really work for me at all.

I remember when Neil's drum solos were him playing DRUMS. The guy can play the f*ck out of the drums, and those parts sounded amazing. The rest is distracting.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 10 2011, 04:22 PM)
I've just seen Neil on Letterman now on youtube...pretty cool...

How were the other drummers on "drum solo week" did Neil steal the show??

unsure.gif

To be honest I enjoyed Anton and Sheila a bit more

My taste?

I like the solo and I like the modest use of electronics. I like the big band ending, but do not like "Love for Sale". Much prefer the One Oclock Jump, or a host of other jazzbig band standards that are more interesting rythm wise (IMO).

About his drums, ghostworks actually brings up something Ive noticed too, which is that over the years as Neil's toms got separated into "banks" and went up higher, he looks *really* uncomfortable and awkward at times playing them. Of course its his drumset and his arms and he can play them any way he wants, but Ive often wondered how he does that without wrecking his back or shoulders....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 10:46 AM)
I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed by it, and I can't imagine it came over too well to non-fans.

I don't know about that. My guess is the long time hard core fans are much more critical and that solo probably blew the mind of most non fans.

Anyways, the drum solo in general is a relic of the past by and large. Other than BTBAM I can't recall the last drum solo I have seen.

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 11 2011, 09:15 AM)

I don't know about that. My guess is the long time hard core fans are much more critical and that solo probably blew the mind of most non fans.

Anyways, the drum solo in general is a relic of the past by and large. Other than BTBAM I can't recall the last drum solo I have seen.

I can't imagine the big band stuff going over well to non-fans. My wife is most decidedly a non-fan, and she really didn't like that part AT ALL. She also agreed with me that the electronic effects in general were FAR less effective than the straight drumming.

Example:

I cant find a better version than the one from the movie "A League of Their Own" - but listen to "Flyin' Home" by Lionel Hampton, as played by Doc's Rhythm Cats

THIS is the kind of swing tune (IMO) that beats the crap out of Love For Sale. I know the whole Buddy connection... just a nit pick

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 12:17 PM)

I can't imagine the big band stuff going over well to non-fans. My wife is most decidedly a non-fan, and she really didn't like that part AT ALL. She also agreed with me that the electronic effects in general were FAR less effective than the straight drumming.

If one appreciates music and rhythm and its executed right, I would think many people would like it. And if not they should biggrin.gif

Hey its all a matter of taste. I find Neil's solos to be even more interesting than the "speed exhibitions" of Buddy Rich and the older set. I also like to hear different kinds of sounds in addition to the drums.. so for me, its right up my alley.

As for appealing to "non fans" - thats not going to be eays nor a priority for Neil; he played a truncated version of HIS solo, like it or leave it...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 11 2011, 12:17 PM)
Example:

I cant find a better version than the one from the movie "A League of Their Own" - but listen to "Flyin' Home" by Lionel Hampton, as played by Doc's Rhythm Cats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPejmXaH7Y&feature=related

THIS is the kind of swing tune (IMO) that beats the crap out of Love For Sale. I know the whole Buddy connection... just a nit pick

If you dont want to watch the whole clip, watch from 1:30 on, the song and rhythm smoke.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 11 2011, 12:08 PM)
My taste?

I like the solo and I like the modest use of electronics. I like the big band ending, but do not like "Love for Sale".  Much prefer the One Oclock Jump, or a host of other jazzbig band standards that are more interesting rythm wise (IMO).

About his drums, ghostworks actually brings up something Ive noticed too, which is that over the years as Neil's toms got separated into "banks" and went up higher, he looks *really* uncomfortable and awkward at times playing them.  Of course its his drumset and his arms and he can play them any way he wants, but Ive often wondered how he does that without wrecking his back or shoulders....

Not that I have a shred of the talent that Neil does, but I've played on the R30 kit a friend of mine purchased. It comes with a DVD of how to set them up like Neil does, and even though he (the owner) doesn't like the set up, he did it anyway. Trying to play the higher toms on the left were near impossible for me. I gave up on trying, mostly because they are extremely expensive gold rims I kept whacking with the sticks.

I attribute it to Neil's height. He is quite tall and has long arms. Me, on the other hand.... neither of those. no.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 11 2011, 09:23 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 11 2011, 07:31 AM)
Before the show aired I knew that people were going to be critical and demanding, especially in light of the fact that Neil himself has consistently set his own bar of excellence so high.  I wasn't wrong.

* fixed

This is a Dick move. Dont f**k with my posts. Reply like a man, bitch.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 11 2011, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 12:17 PM)

If one appreciates music and rhythm and its executed right, I would think many people would like it. And if not they should biggrin.gif

Hey its all a matter of taste. I find Neil's solos to be even more interesting than the "speed exhibitions" of Buddy Rich and the older set. I also like to hear different kinds of sounds in addition to the drums.. so for me, its right up my alley.

As for appealing to "non fans" - thats not going to be eays nor a priority for Neil; he played a truncated version of HIS solo, like it or leave it...

Basically, he tried to do too much.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 08:46 AM)

The electronic drum effects worked in the 80's, especially when they were really into keys/synths, but they seem dated now. And then the whole big band music thing doesn't really work for me at all.

I remember when Neil's drum solos were him playing DRUMS. The guy can play the f*ck out of the drums, and those parts sounded amazing. The rest is distracting.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was disappointed, because I always love seeing everything he does, but I would like to see him with less "stuff." More old school or unplugged would be cool to see.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 11 2011, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 08:46 AM)

The electronic drum effects worked in the 80's, especially when they were really into keys/synths, but they seem dated now.  And then the whole big band music thing doesn't really work for me at all.

I remember when Neil's drum solos were him playing DRUMS.  The guy can play the f*ck out of the drums, and those parts sounded amazing.  The rest is distracting.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was disappointed, because I always love seeing everything he does, but I would like to see him with less "stuff." More old school or unplugged would be cool to see.

The reason for my disappointment was because it was Neil Peart, the greatest rock drummer of all time doing a solo in front of millions of viewers, many of whom probably didn't know who he was, and instead of an old school kick ass drum solo that showed off his talents, we got a lot of electronic and big band music triggered by pads thrown in that just seemed kind of all over the place and distracting to me. I'm already a fan. I think of the new folks, and trying to imagine hearing it through their ears. I would assume they wouldn't be loving that. I really wasn't loving it myself.

I hate to be all old Rush drum solo good, new Rush drum solo bad, but there it is...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2011, 02:57 PM)

I hate to be all old Rush drum solo good, new Rush drum solo bad, but there it is...

yes.gif I agree. This has been going on long enough imo. I just don't see him stopping it. He likes it and thinks everyone else does as well. He should not do a solo next tour so we can hear 2 more songs or cut the thing in half and stop before the f-n samples start

I totally get the 'too much is not always better' opinion. I love the big set up and the triggers and the bells and the whistles - but I also love it when he's played on a more basic approach. One of my favorite solos of his is on a basic kit from his Buddy Rich Memorial Concert appearance. Yes, it incorporates a lot of his 'tour' solo from the time - but it also has a lot of elements in there that I've only heard him do this one time. It's classic.

Interesting what everyone's saying about the electronics because in the solo he's been doing this tour, the section on the electronic kit is by far my favourite bit. There's something about the way he transitions from the waltz to the 4/4 groove with that gap in the middle that I really love - the whole section sounds so mysterious and un-drumlike to me and I find that really cool. It's very fitting to the whole steam-punk time machine theme. I'd rate it as good as, or if not better and even more musical than the scars drum beat he used to use.

So I'd be sad to see the electronic part of the solo go if he does get rid of it (i very much doubt that will happen tho). BUT I also think that nowadays hes using wayyy too much sampling when he's soloing on the other half of the kit. And I also agree that Love for Sale doesn't have the same finale energy that One 'O' Clock Jump or Cotton Tail had.

IMO if he could bring back some of the raw power in the acoustic kit part of the solo (which i'm sure he could if he chose to) and then go to the electronic section he's currently using and then finish on One 'O' Clock Jump (complete with the gong tongue.gif), we'd have a pretty killer solo! What does everyone else think?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 11 2011, 09:00 AM)
It was a good solo, but I don't think he needs all those samplers. How about just playing drums?

I've seen some really good solos from drummers on drumsets that were much smaller and stripped down.

There's no need for all the extra decoration. It's too much.

Would you rather watch a good drummer, or a good drummer with a cool drumset? smile.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 11 2011, 01:58 PM)
I totally get the 'too much is not always better' opinion.  I love the big set up and the triggers and the bells and the whistles - but I also love it when he's played on a more basic approach.  One of my favorite solos of his is on a basic kit from his Buddy Rich Memorial Concert appearance.  Yes, it incorporates a lot of his 'tour' solo from the time - but it also has a lot of elements in there that I've only heard him do this one time.  It's classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yxLg2RyXM

This is what he should've done. yes.gif

or

This biggrin.gif

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 11 2011, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 11 2011, 09:00 AM)
It was a good solo, but I don't think he needs all those samplers. How about just playing drums?

I've seen some really good solos from drummers on drumsets that were much smaller and stripped down.

There's no need for all the extra decoration. It's too much.

Would you rather watch a good drummer, or a good drummer with a cool drumset? smile.gif

The question is so much easier to answer when you simplify it like that.