Neil to be on Letterman..

liddybuck01

There's never a shortage of people on the Internet who believe they can redefine every human action if they happen on a Messageboard. I call it guru syndrome. It happens in sports and college and messageboards. Oh and drumming. Edited by Tony R

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 13 2011, 11:42 AM)
Which takes us nicely to Gruber.

Peart's drumming hasn't been as exciting, flamboyant more accurately, since he hooked up with Mumbo-Jumbo Man.

"..."ART" equals 'get out of the way', or, 'get out of your own way'.

"ART" is a mirror of 'what it is,' as opposed to 'what it isn't.'

Which asks the question, 'what is "IT?"'

"IT" IS! As opposed to "IT" ISN'T.

"IT" can only be "ART" if it's a mirror of what it is... 'CRAFT'! Which smacks of excellence achieved!"

- Freddie Gruber

the one great thing about Freddie is he knows where he is at ;-)

Somehow though I think Neil misses his point on fluidity with sticks...

I think he is trying to be a groove drummer in a band that does not really groove and it just makes him all tense. Becuase when I see other guys that work with Freddie like Steve Smith and Dave Weckl...? Well let's just say the results are somewhat different. I think what Neil is/was after is a good thing for him to learn I just think it does not fit in the hard rock category.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 13 2011, 11:42 AM)
Which takes us nicely to Gruber.

Peart's drumming hasn't been as exciting, flamboyant more accurately, since he hooked up with Mumbo-Jumbo Man.

hmmmm.... thats an interesting thought. 2.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 13 2011, 12:08 PM)
Jeez, what a thread. wtf.gif The perfect combination of Neil bashing and pissing contests. facepalm.gif

TRF is becoming more like Counterparts every day. sad.gif

TRF threads are no more or less likely to exhibit such traits than CP threads

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 13 2011, 06:11 PM)
the one great thing about Freddie is he knows where he is at ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomrYZ_AAXc

Somehow though I think Neil misses his point on fluidity with sticks...

I think he is trying to be a groove drummer in a band that does not really groove and it just makes him all tense. Becuase when I see other guys that work with Freddie like Steve Smith and Dave Weckl...? Well let's just say the results are somewhat different. I think what Neil is/was after is a good thing for him to learn I just think it does not fit in the hard rock category.

"If you're not where you're at, where are you?". Umm, ok Freddie.

cool10.gif

It's kind of like looking at his current set up...like part of the Freddie message got there ....but a large percentage of it was not tranmitted, so the final product looks incomplete and very uncomfortable to play.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 13 2011, 06:08 PM)
Jeez, what a thread. wtf.gif The perfect combination of Neil bashing and pissing contests. facepalm.gif

Oh I remember you! You're the wonderful advert for this site who started this thread:

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index...showtopic=30715

Lovely. laugh.gif

and seriously why does he keep a loaf on bread on the ride cymbal anyway?http://www.neilpeart.net/news/images/kit-from-behind.jpg

Those high toms? ugh.

It's interesting that Nick R keeps pushing Peart to be more flamboyant and Peart is constantly resisting this. He even suggested it was a matter of being more tasteful. Bugger that, we want the OTT stuff!

Well it is kind of true that Neil has some for reason become embarassed of playing fills.....I mean he spoke of that middle section of Caravan as if he shredded thousands of flamadiddle ruffs with both feet while riffing herta fills ala Billy Cobham all in a hemiola fashion....when I actually heard the piece I was like THAT was what he was so worried over?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 13 2011, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 13 2011, 06:08 PM)
Jeez, what a thread. wtf.gif  The perfect combination of Neil bashing and pissing contests. facepalm.gif 

Oh I remember you! You're the wonderful advert for this site who started this thread:

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index...showtopic=30715

Lovely. laugh.gif

What? confused13.gif I'm not registered on CP and have never posted there. I can't even view your link, as it requires a login. confused13.gif

I gave up on CP years ago and hate to see TRF going in that direction, right down the toilet (IMO). 062802puke_prv.gif

We just need GeminiRising to chime in with some weird sexual angle, and this thread would perfectly symbolize the decline of TRF (IMO). sad.gif

Well I think we can probably all agree that Neil probably needs to change his set up.

Some other ideas to make for a more interesting solo:

less electronics....OK OK if you insist on using them at least do something that somehow ties into the rest of the show . For example, instead of steamboat sounds how about sausage machine noises, burping, farting? It would mix in well with the other thematic material and complement the humor angle better. Right now it sounds a bit like a steamboat crashing ashore for absolutely no reason at all followed up with some strange leftover industrial sounds from Bette Middler when she did "Oh Industry" on "Beaches"(see clip)

Come on....we can do better than that.

I think Peart's solo concept is fine for concerts but if he's "on show" and billed as (one of) the Top Rock Drummer then he should go for it big style. All the fills, paradiddles, drum rolls etc that have made him famous should be chucked in.