When did the keyboard Era start?

losingit2k

When did the Keyboard Era actually start?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. When did the Keyboard Era actually start?

• Moving Pictures
    • Signals

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 20 2011, 04:41 PM)
you rock those italics.

I really didn't use all that many as far as emphasis goes; it's just that I'm a stickler about italicizing albums and there were a lot to mention.

Edited by StellarJetman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 20 2011, 08:19 PM)
Vital signs could have been on Signals so the answer is Moving Pictures.

Edited to ask why the amount of guitar has anything to do with the amount of keys. They aren't mutually exclusive.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

Signals was the beginning of the era. But the first shot heard across the world was that little dity at the end of MP. A great, underrated song (that they put in the final throes of the GuP tour setlist for that reason), Vital Signs becan the synth/keys era in a way, IMO.

Signals. As someone else mentioned, Moving Pictures was still 90% guitar driven.

I really enjoy the synth-era stuff, though. I was thinking the other day while listening to Mystic Rhythms that, even if he thought he had to "try to fit it in" Al's guitar parts in that song are gorgeous and perfect. Maybe feeling like he had to be aggressive about his guitar coaxed some amazing work out of him?

Guess its Signals. But I have a problem with that great album being lumped in what I consider to be a weak "keyboard era." I consider everything from 2112-Signals as classic era Rush. Further, I saw them on the 82 tour and from a performance, stage show, and even "look" stand point, it was very similar to the MP tour.

IMO, the true keyboard era began with Grace (a very good album) and through HYF.

Edited by greg2112

Maybe even a better question than when did it start is why did it have to end? sad.gif

Seriously though, 1987 marked the end of their huge run of incredible consistency. The quality went down after that, with obviously some notable exceptions of brilliant returns to form, but it was inconsistent...

I guess if you want to be really technical about it, and that's the way I am, it started in late 1976 when Geddy had his first set of Moog Tuurus pedals on stage WITHOUT the Mini Moog. (had not arrived just yet)

He played some simple notes during Lakeside Park. He fumbled with them at first, but perfected it quickly and the addition of the Mini Moog was in full for A Farewell to Kings.

It was keyboards from there on out.

Moving Pictures, Signals....you're about 5 years too late with those two albums.

Now, when did the OVER-USE of keyboards happen???

HYF.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

as i said above i consider GUP to be the beginning of the keys era.

i think signals is the height of the "reggae" era.

edit- another angle that i think deserves some thought about GUP as the start of the keys period is not the keys themselves but the drums. it was GUP that introduced a bigger keys presence and a lot of electronic percussion.

keys and electric drums are the trademarks to me of the keys period.

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 20 2011, 11:10 PM)
I'm not sure when it officially started, but the keyboard era certainly ended with Hold You Fire. Even Rush admits they went to far on that one.

As it turns out, however, they were wrong, as Hold Your Fire was brilliant, (except for the last two songs)!

And if their idea of trying to fix whatever error they thought they were making was Presto and RTB, well, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it... eh.gif

I don't think of Moving Pictures as having a large keyboard presence, although they're certainly there. I think Signals is the first album that you're really aware of them, although I don't think they were overwhelming. Grace Under Pressure (which I do love) is the first album where I think they start to become overwhelming. Power Windows and even more so Hold Your Fire is the train going off the rails.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 21 2011, 07:42 AM)
Maybe even a better question than when did it start is why did it have to end? sad.gif

Seriously though, 1987 marked the end of their huge run of incredible consistency.  The quality went down after that, with obviously some notable exceptions of brilliant returns to form, but it was inconsistent...

Because Geddy would rather play the bass. I'll take Counterparts over Signals, and TFE over HYF.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 21 2011, 01:35 PM)
I'm not sure when it officially started, but the keyboard era certainly ended with Hold You Fire. Even Rush admits they went to far on that one.

As it turns out, however, they were wrong, as Hold Your Fire was brilliant, (except for the last two songs)!

And if their idea of trying to fix whatever error they thought they were making was Presto and RTB, well, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it... eh.gif

For "going too far" with the keyboards, I think Grace Under Pressure is the worst offender, not HYF. On GUP, the keyboards reduced Alex to little rhythmic strums of his guitar a'la Andy Summers or a reggae guitarist. (Except for his solos.) The keyboards ate all the upper and middle frequencies, all the melodies, and there was no place left for Alex. And, of course, when Geddy is playing keys he's not playing bass (witness the worst offender: "Red Sector A"), and so there's very little awesome bass playing on GUP. Like Tim Commerford said in the Rush documentary: "I'm a bass player, and my favorite bass player playing keyboards? I'm not too happy." For me, that was GUP. I wasn't too happy.

Oh yeah, I also agree Presto and RTB were NOT a better direction than HYF. As little as I like keyboards, I love HYF. And I HATE RTB.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 22 2011, 04:19 AM)

For "going too far" with the keyboards, I think Grace Under Pressure is the worst offender, not HYF. On GUP, the keyboards reduced Alex to little rhythmic strums of his guitar a'la Andy Summers or a reggae guitarist. (Except for his solos.) The keyboards ate all the upper and middle frequencies, all the melodies, and there was no place left for Alex. And, of course, when Geddy is playing keys he's not playing bass (witness the worst offender: "Red Sector A"), and so there's very little awesome bass playing on GUP. Like Tim Commerford said in the Rush documentary: "I'm a bass player, and my favorite bass player playing keyboards? I'm not too happy." For me, that was GUP. I wasn't too happy.

Oh yeah, I also agree Presto and RTB were NOT a better direction than HYF. As little as I like keyboards, I love HYF. And I HATE RTB.

guitars? bass? keyboards?

honestly, i don't care. grace under pressure is full of great songs, and that's what i care about. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 22 2011, 06:19 AM)

It's amazing how opinions can differ. Grace Under Pressure to me is the most guitar orientated out of the synth era. Few guitar solos in traditional sense but I think it's way more apparent, loaded with aggressive riffing and tasty guitar work, much more than HYF.

In the end though, it's the songs that are what's most important and on G/P they're all fantastic. One of their best in terms of songwriting.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 22 2011, 06:19 AMFor "going too far" with the keyboards, I think [i)
Grace Under Pressure[/i] is the worst offender, not HYF.  On GUP, the keyboards reduced Alex to little rhythmic strums of his guitar a'la Andy Summers or a reggae guitarist. (Except for his solos.)  The keyboards ate all the upper and middle frequencies, all the melodies, and there was no place left for Alex.  And, of course, when Geddy is playing keys he's not playing bass (witness the worst offender: "Red Sector A"), and so there's very little awesome bass playing on GUP.  Like Tim Commerford said in the Rush documentary: "I'm a bass player, and my favorite bass player playing keyboards?  I'm not too happy."  For me, that was GUP.  I wasn't too happy.

Oh yeah, I also agree Presto and RTB were NOT a better direction than HYF.  As little as I like keyboards, I love HYF.  And I HATE RTB.

Actually, I recall interviews with Alex around the time GUP was released, and he indicated that we was really into The Edge, so I think that the difference in Alex's playing was more attributable to him.