The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

QUOTE (jc4gd @ Aug 10 2012, 10:55 PM)
They should have dropped FOTD, boring...............and put in T Clansman or so.....................HBTN is overplayed so didn't miss it..........definiately enjoyed ATSS.............but they should have played ID along with The Prophecy, which rules!

Agree about FOTD, unfortunately it's here to stay for good. angry.gif The Prophecy wasn't even played during the SSOASS tour, so no surprise they didn't play it this time around. Good underrated tune, though. trink39.gif

They should have dropped FOTD, boring...............and put in T Clansman or so.....................HBTN is overplayed so didn't miss it..........definiately enjoyed ATSS.............but they should have played ID along with The Prophecy, which rules!

Wait, you think FOTD is boring but not The Clansman? Maiden has recorded very few songs that are as big of a snore as The Clansman. At least FOTD is always a fun song live with the crowd sing-a-long and most importantly, people actually know and like the song. When I saw Maiden on the BNW tour and they did The Clansman the crowd was absolutely dead for it. In fact in my 20 years of going to concerts it was one of the worst revcieved songs i've ever seen live.

The Prophecy will never be played live. If Maiden doesn't play the song when they tour for the album it means it will never be played live. That's why songs like Alexander The Great, Invaders and Flash Of The Blade will never make the set. Once Maiden decides what they'll play and not play with each new album it stays that way. They won't bust out some old song they've never done before.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 11 2012, 05:45 AM)

Wait, you think FOTD is boring but not The Clansman? Maiden has recorded very few songs that are as big of a snore as The Clansman. At least FOTD is always a fun song live with the crowd sing-a-long and most importantly, people actually know and like the song. When I saw Maiden on the BNW tour and they did The Clansman the crowd was absolutely dead for it. In fact in my 20 years of going to concerts it was one of the worst revcieved songs i've ever seen live.

The Prophecy will never be played live. If Maiden doesn't play the song when they tour for the album it means it will never be played live. That's why songs like Alexander The Great, Invaders and Flash Of The Blade will never make the set. Once Maiden decides what they'll play and not play with each new album it stays that way. They won't bust out some old song they've never done before.

Clansman isn't my favorite either, but IMO it's better that FOTD(South America's Anthem), and yeah I saw it live during the same tour and enjoyed it............If I really could get a song played it would be ATG......but as you mentioned that will never happen..........just like an evening with IM wont.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 11 2012, 08:45 AM)

Love The Clansman and you must not have seen Rush on the S&A Tour. laugh.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Aug 11 2012, 05:01 PM)

Yes, I did and while the reaction wasn't too great for some of the songs in the first set (Entre Nous, Mission, The Larger Bowl) overall at my show the reaction to everything was good. The five new songs to open the second set got a solid reaction to. Everyone loved Far Cry and Armor & Sword.

What made The Clansman so bad is when Bruce sang the "Freedom, freedom" part he would sing the first one and then put his mic out to the crowd for them to respond back with the second one and everytime he got nothing. That was so bad to watch laugh.gif I'm glad they did Sign Of The Cross on that tour and that I have a live album with Bruce singing the song. Bruce takes the suck out of it that Blaze has.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I have read that Steves solo album sounds Nothing like Maiden. I find that very hard to believe laugh.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 12 2012, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Aug 11 2012, 05:01 PM)

Yes, I did and while the reaction wasn't too great for some of the songs in the first set (Entre Nous, Mission, The Larger Bowl) overall at my show the reaction to everything was good. The five new songs to open the second set got a solid reaction to. Everyone loved Far Cry and Armor & Sword.

What made The Clansman so bad is when Bruce sang the "Freedom, freedom" part he would sing the first one and then put his mic out to the crowd for them to respond back with the second one and everytime he got nothing. That was so bad to watch laugh.gif I'm glad they did Sign Of The Cross on that tour and that I have a live album with Bruce singing the song. Bruce takes the suck out of it that Blaze has.

I like Sign of the Cross too .

I downloaded a boot video from somewhere in South America during the Blaze years and just butchered Bruce's stuff...I felt sorry for the fans there. sad.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Aug 13 2012, 02:22 PM)
I downloaded a boot video from somewhere in South America during the Blaze years and just butchered Bruce's stuff...I felt sorry for the fans there.  sad.gif  biggrin.gif

Is it the Chile 1996 performance where Blaze gets extremely pissed at someone spitting at him and Steve? Well from most of the videos I've seen from his era, he could somewhat sing a few of the Di'Anno songs like Wratchchild, but with him being a baritone with limited range, I don't understand why they didn't detune their songs like Rush did for 2112 and Circumstances to accommodate his voice.

Classic Rock have reviewed the Toronto gig.

Best quote, "It's genuinely hard to conceive how a heavy metal show could be any more indecently thrilling."

If this comes to the UK & Ireland next year, I'm going to a f*ckload of shows.

A f*ckload.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 15 2012, 10:02 AM)

Best quote, "It's genuinely hard to conceive how a heavy metal show could be any more indecently thrilling."

A f*ckload.

I believe when the tour dates were announced for North America it was mentioned the band would tour the rest of the world in 2013. Which makes perfect sense since Maiden never misses playing Europe and they would be losing out on a lot of money since they're way more popular there then they are here.

I'm guessing within the next couple months we'll be hearing about the dates for the rest of the world.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (Scottjf8 @ Aug 18 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2012, 06:38 PM)
At the venue for the closing show of the tour here in Houston!!  less than an hour till showtime!!!  1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Except you have to suffer through C&C

HA HA HA HA!

I wonder if they'll be releasing a DVD. They've been recording their shows.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 15 2012, 10:02 AM)

A f*ckload.

Saw them in DC...thats not an overstatement. A world-class show top to bottom. Maiden is the best rock/metal act out there right now. A cant miss!

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Aug 9 2012, 11:40 PM)
Based on their video diaries, they're recording the shows. Hopefully they release it. It'd be nice to own a piece of the greatest show I've ever seen.

Amen to that! trink39.gif

The show I saw this year in DC was hands down the best Maiden show Ive ever seen (that includes 82 when they opened for Priest). Cant wait for the Maiden England 2012 blu ray

Reposting from the Concert Reviews thread

Iron Maiden w/Coheed and Cambria

Sat. Aug 18th Houston Texas at The Woodlands

Wow, what a show last night in Houston Texas... got back in not too long ago, and will give you a rundown in just a bit.. but a few short words about the venue.. The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion is an excellent venue that Ive been too a few times...the area around is large and there was plenty to do before the show. (Shops and Food) and if you get in early enough you can get some free parking in the Mall and Market Street areas and no one will say anything about it... that is what I did..

I also got lucky on a tour shirt as well... Tour shirts were high at the show at $40, but however the day before the show I saw that Hot Topic were selling tour shirts in the store... only for 22 bucks... on Tax free weekend.... what a steal! So with free parking and getting a shirt cheap I saved about $40 for last night's show... Hell Yeah...

I have been to opening shows for tour before, and that is always a great experience, but never a closing night of a show, the audience was large, fierce, and loyal, and is every bit as special as an opening night.... had an absolute blast and aside from one issue (which I will talk about at the end of this review) this was one of the best shows I've been too... but now on to the actual performances

------------------Coheed and Cambria-------------------

Coheed killed it, as they usually do. One does not simply "open for Maiden", you need to have an edge and intensity that warrants doing such, and this young band took that metal ring into the fires of Mordor and absolutely gave it their all.. Their set comprised of mainly their "hits" and heavier songs (for obvious "opening for Maiden" reasons) so tracks like "In Keeping Secrets Silent Earth 3" "The Running Free", and "Welcome Home" were to be expected and welcome, but offered little in the way of surprises, aside from a stellar cover of Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" that was well received even by those unfamiliar with Coheed.

Speaking of which, Coheed for the most part were well received by Iron Maiden's Crowd. And while most of the audience was not yet in their seats or unfamiliar with the band, they got good cheers. Still there were a fair few number of people (such as myself) who were familiar and/or fans of Coheed and Cambria that were rocking the whole time..

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/393834_2351216516139_763721128_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/530985_2351216756145_188422902_n.jpg

--------------------IRON MAIDEN------------------

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/309197_2351216876148_997206485_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/224234_2351216996151_1144410300_n.jpg

-Expectations are always high when seeing Iron Maiden, there's a standard to live up to and Thankfully Iron Maiden lived up to that standard and gave a phenomenal performance for the final show of the tour. The intensity was very high and energetic from Bruce to Dave, and Adrian to Steve everyone was on the top of their game and giving the audience their money's worth. The crowd was on fire as mentioned before, and constantly engaged by the band (notably Dickinson), hands and horns constantly in the air, headbanging rampant, singing along to the songs....ect you could not ask for a better band and audience relationship. I particularly was VERY impressed with the energy put forward by Bruce Dickinson, I did not see the man slow down the entire performance, and was constantly running from stage left to stage right, from the elevated platform to the front of the stage, jumping off speakers and lighting equipment as he's always done since the early days ALL on top of putting on an amazing vocal performance, but if you mention that he is also a man of 54, it leaves you nothing but impressed..

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/523164_2351218236182_1013578703_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/297073_2351219356210_1052239244_n.jpg

-The Setlist was fantastic....

Moonchild

Can I Play With Madness

The Prisoner

2 Minutes to Midnight

Afraid to Shoot Strangers

The Trooper

The Number of the Beast

Phantom of the Opera

Run to the Hills

Wasted Years

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

The Clairvoyant

Fear of the Dark

Iron Maiden

Encore:

Aces High

The Evil That Men Do

Running Free

In honor of the Live album that bears the tour's name (Maiden England) nothing after Fear of the Dark was played honoring the band's first 8 albums, which left me spellbound. The standard tracks were of corse amazing, The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Running Free (at an awesome show close), Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden and especially Fear of the Dark were always welcome.. but some of the standouts for me were a few of the deeper tracks and tracks off the first album.. "Phantom of the Opera", and extened "Seventh Son of a Seventh son" and "The Clairvoyant" were just as draw dropping as any of their main stays... now excuse me while I run to dimeadozen and find a boot of this show...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/422544_2351219076203_1098752371_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/319319_2351219716219_1209621758_n.jpg

- The Stage Setup

Now here's where I start compiling, not due to the fact that Iron Maiden had a poor stage performance, no, to the contrary it was very well put together, the props, the pyrotechnics, Eddy, and the overall layout of the show was fantastic, but sadly, I only got to see about a third of it and had to rely (thankfully) on the monitors displaying the show... As you can tell by the photos here, MY seat f***ing sucked, I was as far right as you can go and 2/3 of the view was obscured by the equipment on stage. Iron Maiden is always an act who's known to put together an excellent live show, and have especially been praised for the presentation this tour... It irks me that I did not get the full experience, but It did not ruin the show for me in no way, shape, or form... The Raw Energy by the band, the amazing musicianship, and excellent setlist made the night a very enjoyable experience and one that will be hard to live up to...

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/483981_2351218876198_1639247575_a.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/403975_2351219156205_2033071272_n.jpg

Thanks for Reading

Nice review Owl 1022.gif

I was wondering how you went about purchasing your seats? Live nation has an interactive seat map for most venues now where they show you what seats are available. You can select where exactly you want to sit for a show. If you ever get tickets online it's a great thing to take advantage of if it's offered to you. That way you can avoid getting bad seats where you view may be obstructed. Of course if the layout for the venue sucks to begin with selecting your own seats might not always be a good as it should be.