Tai Shan

ak2112

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Dec 7 2010, 03:43 AM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Dec 6 2010, 10:01 PM)
Worthy of the cutting room floor at best... Definitely makes me want to punt kittens!

Still better than Dog Years. 062802puke_prv.gif

cool10.gif

Hell No

I like the song but it's not too high on my list. The main reason I don't like it more though is because of how great the eight songs before it are on HYF. The song had a tough job in following those and at least for me doesn't have the same impact as the rest of the album.

This is the song that ended my fanboiness. There was a time when Rush could do no wrong. I defended everything Rush, even Madrigal.

Then came Tia Shan and several others on HYF for that matter. They had, as Neil put it, "took things too far". It was a sad day indeed for young Pound of Obscure but it was just indefensible. Mystic Rhythms gone horribly bad. I defended that one avidly at one time also. Since that point the kool-aid goggles came off. Kind of like finding out there is no Santa. Fanhood changed for me that day. For the better? I don't know. I do miss the unbridled excitement that only Santa can bring.

Not only don't I loathe this song, I actually love it. I don't for one minute get the crap that's hurled its way. It's melodic, has cultural flavorings, and is just a fine little song. Unapologetically in-like with this tune.

I don't listen to Geddy. He's in love with Roll The Bones. 'Nuff said. I like that album, but I surely disagree with him there...and here. tongue.gif And a few other places too.

HYF is musically, lyrically, arrangement and melody-wise a fine album. It's also the softest album in Rush's entire catalog. Some would go as far as to call it "wuss rock". Tai Shan, while a nice song with some pleasant qualities, does make me a little sad when I start remembering that it was recorded by the same guys who wrote and performed Cygnus X1, 2112, and Bastille Day and others. Rush lite with no bite.

biggrin.gif

At least Presto kicking off with Show Don't Tell got them back from the brink of total wussiness pan flutes and back into rockin'.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 7 2010, 04:37 PM)
Worthy of the cutting room floor at best... Definitely makes me want to punt kittens!

MUCH!

Agreed!

different kind of song. i like dog years once in while but the two new tunes are a different story. i haven't listened to them in months and can't get myself to.

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif tai shan great as it is is NOT better than dog years

shame on U! pokey.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif rage.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif rage.gif

Tai Shan, High Water and Second Nature almost ruin HYF for me. The Boys are right about 'taking things too far' with HYF and these three tracks are the epitome of what they are talking about. I like the rest of the songs, although some of them tread on the 'poppy' a bit much. Although they are 'sister albums', POWER WINDOWS BEATS THE HELL OUT OF HOLD YOUR FIRE. yes.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 7 2010, 09:01 PM)
tai shan and high water are good tunes. i don't care what the boys think.
end of thread.

HYF is a perfect album.... UNTIL those last two songs. Damn shame, but the rest is pure excellence. yes.gif

I'm really glad that China sang to Neil. I would rather he decided not to share that with the rest of us, but what are ya gonna do? unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 8 2010, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 7 2010, 09:01 PM)
tai shan and high water are good tunes.  i don't care what the boys think.
end of thread.

HYF is a perfect album.... UNTIL those last two songs. Damn shame, but the rest is pure excellence. yes.gif

I'm really glad that China sang to Neil. I would rather he decided not to share that with the rest of us, but what are ya gonna do? unsure.gif

not to these ears. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 7 2010, 11:46 AM)
I've been revisiting Hold Your Fire lately and I always come back to this song.  I think the melody is beautiful and Geddy does some really nice singing on it.  Neils lyrics are wonderful as well.  They really paint a picture.  I always imagine a misty valley from atop a mountain.  Alex's guitars do a good job of evoking an Asian feel as well.  I'm sure the song is often panned as crap by some, but its one of my favorites from the album, along with Open Secrets.  I have always thought that this album was their most melodic of the 80's.  Very underrated IMHO.

This thread might interest you.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...tai%20shan&st=0

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Dec 6 2010, 10:10 PM)
A high point for Geddys voice I think...

Agreed. Said it before, say it again, as a whole it's one of Ged's best vocal performances.

Archived