The Walking Dead

vital signz

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 27 2012, 06:36 AM)
Great episode last night. I really enjoyed it.

One thing I don't get is why they're making such a big deal out of this Randall guy. I just don't understand the rationale for having to kill him. Not even from a moral point of view, I just literally don't get what harm he is to the group.

Yeah, I don't get the whole thing with Randall either. He's just one more guy, so I don't think he puts that much of a burden on the group if he joins. They're actually putting more effort into how to get rid of him than it would take them just to let him stay on. Then again we don't need anymore cast members right now. Glenn and Daryl, who I think are the two best characters, were not even on the show last night. The characters are still in development and not stale so far, when that happens then you can bring somebody new in and bump some of the regulars off for an episode.

Everything else I enjoyed. There was a lot of good zombie action and Rick and Shane's conflict is developing further. I liked when Andrea told off Lori to because like everyone else I don't like Lori at all. The scene with the lone zombie walking through the field was cool. I thought it really drove home the point that they never get tired and just keep moving until they finally find what they're craving.

One other complaint, how does Randall not have a limp after what happened to his leg? The way Rick took his leg off the fence should've caused a shit load of permanent damage to it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

SPOILERS IF YOUR NOT CAUGHT UP

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 27 2012, 01:43 PM)
One other complaint, how does Randall not have a limp after what happened to his leg? The way Rick took his leg off the fence should've caused a shit load of permanent damage to it.

Exactly!!! It's little things like that that drive me nuts. They are saying they are gonna have to cut his leg off, then they rip that freaking huge spear like fence post out of his leg and a week later, he's barely limping. Where Shane apparently hurts his leg so bad he has to kill Otis then he comes back and he is fine. It's stuff like that, where you see the difference between top notch writing, like Breaking Bad or Hell on Wheels, and normal network TV writing. Since this was on AMC and was so popular and I heard they fired the writers after season one, you'd think they'd get this right.

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

Why can't somebody pay attention to Carl! It's all his fault the zombie worked his way loose! Kill the kid in the barn already, although it will make a great showdown when his people come looking for this group of folks which will probably be the season finale.

Nor did I. I was still expecting a sort of turn where Carl shoots the prisoner. I thought he was growing futher detatched. It still took me by suprise.

SPOILER ALERT

I'm not really sad that Dale died. I hope this will open the door for Shane to strengthen his position in the group and make the hard but right choices. Though the group will live in Dale's memory for a little bit and do whatever he would have wanted done.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 4 2012, 10:05 PM)
Ummm...goddamn. Didn't see that coming.

I figured the walker was gonna do something on the farm since it got itself loose from the mud it was stuck in. I still wasn't expecting one of the main characters to go down. I was hoping it would get the stupid kid for f*ckin around with it earlier. Very good ending to the episode though.

I still don't understand this delima with keeping Randall alive or not. He probably wouldn't do anything if they treated him right. If he wasn't gonna go get his friends if he got free, he's sure as hell is gonna do it now that they beat the shit out of him and almost killed him.

Seeing that cow slaughtered by the zombie has me wondering if animals can come back as zombies if they're killed by one?

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 4 2012, 11:19 PM)

Why can't somebody pay attention to Carl! It's all his fault the zombie worked his way loose!  Kill the kid in the barn already, although it will make a great showdown when his people come looking for this group of folks which will probably be the season finale.

goodpost.gif

A-f**king-men!

SPOILERS

ranton.gif

Although the show is getting better and better, there are so many little things that great shows just don't do. For instance, you live in a world where zombies are walking around trying to kill you. They have already had zombies on the farm. The more time that passes, the more likely zombies will make their way from the cities to them. Not to mention the freaking gang of men that they are so afraid of. So if you had a 12 yr old kid, (or whatever age Carl is) wouldn't you know where he was at all freaking times? I mean in the regular world we live in, any good mother or father is not going to let there kid just run around by himself on a farm! For one, anything could happen to him, he could get bit by a snake...OR he could get eaten by a freaking ZOMBIE!!! And every two seconds Carl is off running around by himself! When he wondered into the woods I was rooting for him to get bit! I was so annoyed with him. Then I thought, "wait, it's not his fault...he's a young boy who is adventurous living in a crazy world" so then I was like "where the f**k is Rick, Lori, Shane or any other freaking adult." I think if it was my kid, I'd have a rule, you don't go ANYWHERE without someone. In fact, as a rule for the group, I'd say NEVER go anywhere alone!

Which brings me to Dale. Sure the guy is pissed so he goes off to pout. Ok...I will let that slide. But he is in the middle of a field and he sees a freshly eaten cow. So he just stands there staring at it like an idiot! And where was the zombie, hiding in the weeds? Wouldn't he still be sitting there eating the cow? No, he's somewhere in a field and Dale just can't seem to see him. I know it's night, but come on! Be on guard for the love of God! Dale has always annoyed me, mostly because of the lines they write for him, but I for one was glad he got it! One because he was becoming annoying and two because Carl was responsible! That will teach Carl and his Mom and Dad to, I don't know...keep an eye on your kid in the middle of a zombie apocalypse!!!!

And didn't they have to rip Randal's leg off a freaking fence post that looked like a huge spear? At the time they did it, they were contemplating cutting his leg off as it would be impossible to get his leg off the post, then even if the did get it off, he'd be crippled. So with barely any medicine, a veterinarian and a dirty post apocalyptic environment, he is just fine, walking around with barely a limp? And that was last week, which they made a point to say only a week had went by since he was hurt. So know he is healed?

Oh and one more thing. Didn't Herschel have a son? Where the heck has that kid been? And I completely forgot about that black guy. I can't even remember his name because he has been seen so little. When they had that meeting to decide what to do with Randal, I saw him and was like "oh yeah...I remember him". IMO, they made a big mistake in starting the show with so many characters. If they were killing one off per episode, then maybe it would have made more sense, but to have that many characters with so little time, especially with the way they shoot scenes in slllooooowwww motion that makes you feel like hitting fast forward sometimes, they just didn't think that out. Then again, the show Hell On Wheels has alot of characters and it's only been on for one season, but somehow they are able to juggle all the characters in a way that your not forgetting certain characters are even on the show.

It's stuff like this that drives me crazy. Shows like Breaking Bad, Hell On Wheels, Justified, American Horror Story, Dexter etc, etc, have top notch writing. This show should have it, but it has "network" TV writing. I expect better from AMC!

Again, the show is getting WAY better. I will continue to watch it regardless. But I have seen better zombie movies that were released straight to video!

rantoff.gif

Ok...I feel better now! fing.gif

Presto, I agree about the sceen with Dale when he got killed. He didn't have his guard up at all. He at least should've had his shotgun out in front of him and ready to fire if something had happened considering he was going off alone. I'm not too conscerned with the zombie just appearing out of nowhere and getting him though. Even though they are as dumb as a rock, zombies have always been portrayed to be sneaky throughout all the movies and TV shows they've been featured in. That's one of the main reasons they're supposed to be scary.

One other thing Presto, enough with comparing this show to the other shows on TV. We get it, this show isn't as good as those ones, move on. I'm not gonna spoil any storylines but once you see seasons five and six of Dexter you'll realise the show isn't as flawless as you think when it comes to the writing.

As for the zombies having superhuman strength, it seems like they do. Whatever you see them in, they have always been ripping and tearing at their victims.

Edited by J2112YYZ

And what the hell was he doing with his nosy ass poking around out in the dark by himself anyways? Good riddance..

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 5 2012, 12:48 PM)
Presto, I agree about the sceen with Dale when he got killed. He didn't have his guard up at all. He at least should've had his shotgun out in front of him and ready to fire if something had happened considering he was going off alone. I'm not too conscerned with the zombie just appearing out of nowhere and getting him though. Even though they are as dumb as a rock, zombies have always been portrayed to be sneaky throughout all the movies and TV shows they've been featured in. That's one of the main reasons they're supposed to be scary.

One other thing Presto, enough with comparing this show to the other shows on TV. We get it, this show isn't as good as those ones, move on. I'm not gonna spoil any storylines but once you see seasons five and six of Dexter you'll realise the show isn't as flawless as you think when it comes to the writing.

As for the zombies having superhuman strength, it seems like they do. Whatever you see them in, they have always been ripping and tearing at their victims.

You're right....I know I tend to get overly passionate about things. But when I heard this show was coming to AMC, home of so many great shows like:

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

The Killing

Rubicon - Man I hated when this one got canceled!

Hell on Wheels

I expected TWD to be in the same category as those shows. As for Dexter, obviously, I am just going by seasons 1 and 2. And really that comparison is unfair to TWD because it's on Showtime. So point taken.

I assume you were talking to someone else about the zombies having such strength as I didn't bring that up. I actually bought the fact that they could rip his stomach up like that. With those bony sharp fingers, and the relentless drive they have, I could see them being able to inflict that kind of damage on someone.

One thing I look forward to seeing how they address is something Rick brought up in last weeks episode about when winter arrives. You'd think that the zombies would all get stuck in snow and freeze making it alot easier for them to travel. My guess is that is when they will move out, which will be a cool back drop. A snowy, pristine looking environment, but one where you could get stuck somewhere and possibly freeze. And where under any pile of snow could be a "living" zombie!

Again, as much as I rip on the show, I still like it. And while I think the early criticisms from the first half of this season were warranted, at this point I am admittedly nitpicking.

TWD is not perfect, but it beats alot of the total shyt on TV right now, so you are right. I should just back off!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 4 2012, 10:21 PM)
Nor did I. I was still expecting a sort of turn where Carl shoots the prisoner. I thought he was growing futher detatched. It still took me by suprise.

SPOILER ALERT

I'm not really sad that Dale died. I hope this will open the door for Shane to strengthen his position in the group and make the hard but right choices. Though the group will live in Dale's memory for a little bit and do whatever he would have wanted done.

Shane is a rapist, a liar and a murderer.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 5 2012, 09:19 PM)

One thing I look forward to seeing how they address is something Rick brought up in last weeks episode about when winter arrives. You'd think that the zombies would all get stuck in snow and freeze making it alot easier for them to travel. My guess is that is when they will move out, which will be a cool back drop. A snowy, pristine looking environment, but one where you could get stuck somewhere and possibly freeze. And where under any pile of snow could be a "living" zombie!

Do the zombies create body heat?

They are dead si i don't see them creating body heat.

Wait for the winter and they should all freeze. Then just smash them with bats and they will break into lots of little pieces.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 5 2012, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 4 2012, 10:21 PM)

SPOILER ALERT

I'm not really sad that Dale  died. I hope this will open the door for Shane to strengthen his position in the group and make the hard but right choices. Though the group will live in Dale's memory for a little bit and do whatever he would have wanted done.

Shane is a rapist, a liar and a murderer.

Attempted rape, but he was drunk then & hadn't fully developed his survivor philosophy. Now he's willing to do whatever is necessary to protect the group. He will make the hard decisions like he had to with Otis. Either both die as well as Carl or save himself & Carl. He is a bit delusional about his future with Lori (God knows why) & he'll do anything to protect her. He has the best intentions despite his ruthless behavior. And he's been right about everything. Killing the walkers, Sophia being dead, & possibly a betrayal by the prisoner (judging from next week's episode).

The actions he has taken out of selfishness have been better for the group. He killed Otis to stay alive & saved Carl in the process. He opened the barn doors out of his own selfishness & for what he thought was best. He saved the group from an inevitable attack, found Sophia, & forced Hershal to leave his foolish beliefs that they were sick & realise how great a threat they were.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 5 2012, 10:01 PM)
The actions he has taken out of selfishness have been better for the group. He killed Otis to stay alive & saved Carl in the process. He opened the barn doors out of his own selfishness & for what he thought was best. He saved the group from an inevitable attack, found Sophia, & forced Hershal to leave his foolish beliefs that they were sick & realise how great a threat they were.

Have they been better for the group? I think not. Shane is a character that is becoming dehumanized. No matter how the outcomes are rationalized they were done for the wrong reasons. That's why Rick is the center of the show. He's struggling with what is right and wrong. And when you get right down to it, Rick is making the hard choices. Shane killed Otis for selfish reasons, the easy way out, and rationalized it with how it helped the group while all along he's the reason the group is disintegrating. Shane is a sociopath.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 5 2012, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 5 2012, 10:01 PM)

Have they been better for the group? I think not. Shane is a character that is becoming dehumanized. No matter how the outcomes are rationalized they were done for the wrong reasons. That's why Rick is the center of the show. He's struggling with what is right and wrong. And when you get right down to it, Rick is making the hard choices. Shane killed Otis for selfish reasons, the easy way out, and rationalized it with how it helped the group while all along he's the reason the group is disintegrating. Shane is a sociopath.

This ^^^

SPOILERS...

How many times have they been in situations where it looked helpless? Rick always seems to find a way.

I thought that scene where he shot Otis was not necessary. Then again, it could have just been bad directing. If they would have shown one of those overhead views showing just how far they were from the truck, I could MAYBE see him doing the right thing by killing Otis. But he has a sprained ankle...right? He comes back and he is barely limping. So your telling me the only option he had was shoot Otis? When you adrenaline is pumping, you'd think that he would have just ran like the wind to the truck then tried to come back for Otis. That's what Rick would have done. Sure some of his choices have turned out for the better of the group, but ALWAYS for a selfish reason.

As much as I was annoyed by Dale, he was correct in that killing Randall was going to change them more than it helped them. Funny thing is by Dale dying, now they will keep Randall alive because "Dale would have wanted that". And the guy may be up to no good, but I just don't see why they can't put some leg irons on the guy, and monitor him. Maybe he is a murderous bastard, and probably will turn out to be...but what if he is not? Shane is the leader for a reason. He makes tough decisions while keeping his humanity. And guess what? Shane has lived thru more scrapes than anyone.

So while I understand some thinking that Shane should be the one who leads the group and all his decisions are to keep the group alive, I just don't buy it. He wanted Rick's wife for the love of RUSH! Even a couple episodes ago he told Lori that she was supposed to be with him! He is selfish and dangerous!

IMO of course!

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 5 2012, 11:01 PM)

Good points.

Shane does seem crazy and kinda scary as well...but as mentioned before, he's been right about most stuff, seems to do what's best for the group, and still puts Lori and Carl first which isn't always the right thing.

I don't support most of what he does 'cuz I wouldn't back a crazy guy like him if I was in the situation and it was real, but he seems to have a plan and is able to act on it, whereas Rick can't make up his mind about anything...Who do want leading a guy with ideas who takes action, or a guy who can't make up his mind?

If they could get a combo of both guys as a leader they would be in good hands.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Shane is crazy, selfish and a hot head. While his descisions do come from a selfish place they've all still benefited the group. Taking out Otis was a hard choice but it needed to be made, not only to save himself but to make sure he got the medical supplies needed for Carl to survive.

He's also the reason that Herschel realised he was wrong about the zombies and that they were dead and not sick like he thought. Shane breaking open the barn to let the zombies get out so they could kill them all was to protect the group to. The same with wanting to leave Randall on his own at first and then wanting to kill him so he couldn't do anything to hurt the group.

Now, for the talk about the winter coming and possibly freezing the zombies, does winter really get that bad in the Atlanta area? I was born, raised and have lived my whole life in Buffalo, NY and i've got a good idea how bad a winter can get sometimes. But isn't Atlanta known for it's warmer weather? I figured that even in the winter it probably doesn't get that bad.