The Walking Dead

vital signz

The newest episode was decent but what keeps bothering me is the missing girl. I just can't believe she went that far in that short of a time frame.

I know the show has some bad scenerio's that don't make sense but I think it's meant to be like that. If this situation happened for real and we were fighting for the survial of our species against something we knew nothing about, we would be thinking and doing a lot of things that didn't make sense.

I saw the "post game show" they have for it called Talking Dead a few weeks ago and it's really kinda pointless. It's a cool concept but I don't think the show has enough going on to do it. Now if Dexter or American Horror Story had one i'd be all for it.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 8 2011, 09:55 AM)
The newest episode was decent but what keeps bothering me is the missing girl. I just can't believe she went that far in that short of a time frame.

I know the show has some bad scenerio's that don't make sense but I think it's meant to be like that. If this situation happened for real and we were fighting for the survial of our species against something we knew nothing about, we would be thinking and doing a lot of things that didn't make sense.

I saw the "post game show" they have for it called Talking Dead a few weeks ago and it's really kinda pointless. It's a cool concept but I don't think the show has enough going on to do it. Now if Dexter or American Horror Story had one i'd be all for it.

The girl has been missing for 3 days. Under the circumstances, I totally believe she's still missing.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 8 2011, 10:02 AM)

The girl has been missing for 3 days. Under the circumstances, I totally believe she's still missing.

Same. It's "weeks" to us and days to them. The whole series has only been a few real-time weeks to the characters.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 8 2011, 10:55 AM)

Same. It's "weeks" to us and days to them. The whole series has only been a few real-time weeks to the characters.

Yes, I know it's only been a few days on the show. But it still doesn't seem possible she just disappeared into parts unknown in the three minutes it took the guy to get the zombies away from her and kill them.

What is she some record breaking track runner or something? I just don't see how she could've gotten out of the range of hearing them call her name that quickly. Maybe a zombie got her but you would think there would be a blood trail or something that indicated that.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 8 2011, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 8 2011, 10:55 AM)

Yes, I know it's only been a few days on the show. But it still doesn't seem possible she just disappeared into parts unknown in the three minutes it took the guy to get the zombies away from her and kill them.

What is she some record breaking track runner or something? I just don't see how she could've gotten out of the range of hearing them call her name that quickly. Maybe a zombie got her but you would think there would be a blood trail or something that indicated that.

When panic is in full swing, especially for a young child, I totally believe it. It's EASY to get lost in woods, very easy. Imagine a young girl's heart beating a million miles a minute, breathing heavy and running. And the person looking for her is also panicking.

This is a case where the writers are their own worst enemy. They've done a less than stellar job of establishing plausible situations. So, when they finally focus on one, the viewer can't help being cynical and skeptical.

QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 8 2011, 02:10 PM)
One friggin' zombie last week!!?? arrgh.

They need to find that damn girl...story is getting old.

I agree...and if that was my kid lost in the woods with zombies everywhere I wouldn't sleep til I found her and Id make more noise than humanly possible to get her attention.

I also agree with one of the earlier posts...where the hell did she go in a just a few minutes...I know it's easy to get lost in the woods but there is an intersate right next to you and farms etc... all over the place she didn't go that far and isn't in the wilds of Alaska

One more thing, nobody seems to have commented on the fact Daryl found an old farm house that somebody had recently been staying in (freshly opened sarine can, and sleeping area in a closet).

I think that is where the girl has been.

One another thing, Daryls brother (don't remember his name so I'll call him Lefty wink.gif ) was shown in the next episode so I figure as somebody mentioned before, he found the girl and has been keeping her hidden.

'til next week.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Nov 8 2011, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 8 2011, 02:10 PM)

They need to find that damn girl...story is getting old.

I agree...and if that was my kid lost in the woods with zombies everywhere I wouldn't sleep til I found her and Id make more noise than humanly possible to get her attention.

I also agree with one of the earlier posts...where the hell did she go in a just a few minutes...I know it's easy to get lost in the woods but there is an intersate right next to you and farms etc... all over the place she didn't go that far and isn't in the wilds of Alaska

One more thing, nobody seems to have commented on the fact Daryl found an old farm house that somebody had recently been staying in (freshly opened sarine can, and sleeping area in a closet).

I think that is where the girl has been.

One another thing, Daryls brother (don't remember his name so I'll call him Lefty wink.gif ) was shown in the next episode so I figure as somebody mentioned before, he found the girl and has been keeping her hidden.

'til next week.

I watched the "Talking Dead" post show and even the 2 guests were criticizing some stuff, especially the well scene. I will leave it at that.

Presto-digitation,

I agree they are developing characters, but the writing is so bad. Put it this way. If you have watched American Horror Story, it's been on for what 5 or 6 total episodes and they have so many characters, some live, some dead, some they didn't show since the first episode. And they have developed a lot of them in I think it's 5 total episodes. On top of that, the actions taken by almost everyone is believable. The actions taken on TWD leave you saying. "No one would do that" You will have to watch the last episode to see what I'm talking about. This is season 2 of TWD and I think they've done as much to introduce people as they can. On top of that, AHS is so exciting I am at the edge of my seat. TWD I am forcibly keeping my finger off the ff button.

I know I am beathorse.gif

Again, I will watch it, I guess I am just so disappointed.

******MY VIEW POSSIBLE SPOILER******

Obviously, at least I think, the girl has been found by Daryl's brother which would explain why they haven't found her. That being said, I stick to all the things I said on page 5 of this thread.

The writing was far worse last season. I didn't give two shits who lived or died. Now I do.

They did the RIGHT thing letting go of staff last season and it's paying off...except to those who just want to see a plethora of cool zombie attacks, story be damned. biggrin.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 8 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 8 2011, 01:10 PM)

But at least we got to see it get cut in half and see a bunch of blood and internal organs fall everywhere 1022.gif

Definitely an example of quality over quantity. That scene flat out rocked!!!!

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Nov 12 2011, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 8 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 8 2011, 01:10 PM)

But at least we got to see it get cut in half and see a bunch of blood and internal organs fall everywhere 1022.gif

Definitely an example of quality over quantity. That scene flat out rocked!!!!

A very memorable zombie, indeed.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 9 2011, 10:19 AM)
The writing was far worse last season. I didn't give two shits who lived or died. Now I do.

They did the RIGHT thing letting go of staff last season and it's paying off...except to those who just want to see a plethora of cool zombie attacks, story be damned. biggrin.gif wink.gif

Is there going to be a third season? I think I read it was renewed, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm hoping the writing gets itself together and on track for the third season. This season is definitely experiencing some growing pains. And that's a good thing.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 12 2011, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 9 2011, 10:19 AM)
The writing was far worse last season.  I didn't give two shits who lived or died.  Now I do. 

They did the RIGHT thing letting go of staff last season and it's paying off...except to those who just want to see a plethora of cool zombie attacks, story be damned.  biggrin.gif  wink.gif

Is there going to be a third season? I think I read it was renewed, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm hoping the writing gets itself together and on track for the third season. This season is definitely experiencing some growing pains. And that's a good thing.

I haven't heard, but I almost guarantee there will be. It's so popular that I don't see how they won't renew it.

That being said, I have been a big critic of the writing, directing and acting. To be clear from my end, I am not looking for all out zombies killing or being killed in every scene. I don't mind character development at all. I just find that a story about a zombie apocalypse to be very boring and stupid with scenes that are WAY to long and dialogue that makes you want to kill yourself. On top of that I find myself saying, "who would do that" all the time. But at this point, does anyone think they haven't developed the characters enough? Like I keep saying, American Horror Story has been on for 6 episodes and they have done tons of character development on twice as many people and you can't look away from the screen. Even the people who appear for just one episode get good character development. "Here piggy pig pig"

A fellow forum member PM'd me about TWD and was telling me about the graphic novels. Apparently, they are pretty good. I read alot, but never a graphic novel and I haven't read comic books since I was a kid. I was thinking of checking them out, but I read some of the bad reviews on Amazon (I always read the bad ones first) and they said that there was alot of bad dialogue and repeated dialogue that isn't needed. It almost sounds like the show. Of course there were alot more positive reviews than negative.

From Amazon:

152 Reviews

5 star: (123)

4 star: (18)

3 star: (5)

2 star: (4)

1 star: (2)

So it looks like it might be worth checking out.

Anyone read the graphic novels? From what I was told and saw on Amazon, there are a ton of them and you can get the first half (compendium) in a huge 1088 page book.

Here is a link: The Walking Dead Graphic Novel Compendium 1 on Amazon

It is a little pricey but looks like you get alot for the $.

Anyone else read these and have any reviews? Do you think someone who doesn't really read comic books but reads alot would get into this?

The person who PM'd me also told me that the book deviates tremendously from the show, and from what I was told, it sounded like the book (graphic novel to be exact) is better.

Anyone else read them?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 13 2011, 09:20 PM)
I thought tonight's episode was another good one. It's slowly improving. And I gotta tell ya, Daryl Dixon is my favorite character. He kicks ass.

I agree, he's one tough cookie!

**SPOILER**

Yeah his character is awesome. You could tell he has some heart. I hope he doesn't turn back into a hard ass after his run in with his brother.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Nov 14 2011, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 13 2011, 09:20 PM)
I thought tonight's episode was another good one. It's slowly improving. And I gotta tell ya, Daryl Dixon is my favorite character. He kicks ass.

I agree, he's one tough cookie!

I agree as well and I agree with the show getting better!!!

I like Daryl and, although he is turning to the dark side, I'm starting to like Shane as well. They are finally showing more depth in the writing.

POSSIBLE SPOILER!!!

I thought the end of the last episode was a real surprise...Can't wait to see next weeks episode!!!!

I'm thinking it's family members.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

See, last year Daryl was a bullshit hick stereotype and NOW he's getting fleshed out and you like him a lot. That's what I'm talking about. You can skip the "getting to know you" scenes (even full episodes) for more action, but ulimately...down the road...you'll be more invested. It just takes some patience.

I know I'm feeling more about them.

SPOILER

Can't wait to see how she explains the pregnancy

SPOILER

What's with the walkers in the barn?

(I prolly would have banged that chick in the hayloft anyway...I mean they aren't that great at climbing anyway, right?)

SPOILER

Find that damn kid already!!!!!!!!!

SPOILER!!!!

I'm tellin' ya the barn is full of their family members turned zomboid!!!

Remember a few episodes back when the Doctor/Vet was talking to Rick and he mentioned that humanity has been plagued by disease for centuries and we always have survived and in many cases a cure has been discovered. I seem to remember him insinuating or even stating that maybe killing the walkers was wrong 'cuz they are still people and a cure would eventually be found to make them people again.

The doctor firmly believes that a cure is on its way and when it comes he plans on using it on his family members which he is hiding in the barn.

I'm tellin' ya...that's it.

Presto-digitation,

I agree that the character development makes characters like Daryl more complex, I just think they waste WAY too much time on scenes that don't add anything to the show.

Invisible To Telescopic Eye,

I used to have Sirius and I know all about Jon Hein and Geek Time, but didn't hear them talking about TWD books. Like you said, Jon Hein is a guy who knows good entertainment with Jump The Shark and of course just being a RUSH fan! (I used to love the wrap-up show because they would play RUSH almost every day!) so that makes me lean towards maybe investing in the graphic novels down the road. Like I said, another RUSH fan already gave me a good review on them.

SPOILERS Below

So I finally watched the last episode. I LOVE the flash back scenes. I think seeing how things deteriorated is really cool. I wish they would put like 2 flash backs per episode. When the episode started I was like "hell yeah"! That was a cool scene to see the military napalming a city and I love seeing the transition period, as people start to find out what's going on. In zombie movies I love when it just starts happening and seeing how it all goes down. Hopefully they will do that more.

And for once, I didn't mind the conversation between Rick and Shane about girls in high school and then about making tough decisions.

But then the stupid scenes start filtering in. Merle isn't really there. Daryl finds the doll BUT where the fu%& is the little girl.

But I have to admit, they had me fooled because I figured for sure that Merle had the little girl, (who knows, maybe he does?????) but he turns out to be a hallucination. And what was the purpose of even bringing Chupacabra into the story? You got to love the last 2 titles of the episodes, last week Cherokee Rose, this week Chupacabra....ok.

Then the stupid conversation in the RV about woman's cycles. Poor Dale gets stuck with some of the stupidest lines in the show.

The writers on this show are terrible. Flat out bad. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I had a feeling that there was something weird with the Vet but I kept leaning towards there was some incest/religious belief thing going on or something, so the barn was a pleasant surprise. My guess is those are friends and loved ones whose pictures were on the fridge.

Lori shooting Daryl was so obvious to me the second I saw her on the camper.

And maybe I wasn't paying attention but did the family at the house grow this episode? Seems like the 17yr old boy and the younger girl kinda showed up out of nowhere, but maybe I just missed them in the background.

AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...NO MORE BEDSIDE SCENES WITH CARL.

Overall, this was one of the better episodes, but still lacking. Although it does look like some big things are going to be happening so maybe the season will end with a flurry of great episodes.