What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Just finished the first Hunger Games.

Astonishing, intoxicating, moving, devastating...any word that ends in "ing", including "Wyoming".

I thought, as I found the film a little flat, the book would be formulaic, insipid. But even though I had seen the film, the book remained unstoppably thrilling ("ing"), and incredibly unpredictable. Actions and scenarios in the film which appeared strange or far too coincidental to ring true are explained in far grander detail, and the energy of the prose is something heavenly to sit and read.

I have not been so moved by a novel since either A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, or Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I will eagerly devour the next two sequels.

Timeless, haunting science fiction, one of the best examples of the genre I have ever read. Remarkably intelligent, I feel that this will last the ages, beyond the current hype and inevitable criticism of which it has recieved plenty.

This is why there are so many series out now trying to capitalize on Hunger Games ( Divergent, Maze Runner etc.) It is a good tale and it makes you think, which is what good writing should do. Twilight is a joke but I will give it credit in helping me find other better vampire series :cool: .

I dont think Hunger Games is perfect, but I do think they are modern classics.

As fir this Divergent, any good?

Just finished the first Hunger Games.

Astonishing, intoxicating, moving, devastating...any word that ends in "ing", including "Wyoming".

I thought, as I found the film a little flat, the book would be formulaic, insipid. But even though I had seen the film, the book remained unstoppably thrilling ("ing"), and incredibly unpredictable. Actions and scenarios in the film which appeared strange or far too coincidental to ring true are explained in far grander detail, and the energy of the prose is something heavenly to sit and read.

I have not been so moved by a novel since either A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, or Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I will eagerly devour the next two sequels.

Timeless, haunting science fiction, one of the best examples of the genre I have ever read. Remarkably intelligent, I feel that this will last the ages, beyond the current hype and inevitable criticism of which it has recieved plenty.

This is why there are so many series out now trying to capitalize on Hunger Games ( Divergent, Maze Runner etc.) It is a good tale and it makes you think, which is what good writing should do. Twilight is a joke but I will give it credit in helping me find other better vampire series :cool: .

I dont think Hunger Games is perfect, but I do think they are modern classics.

As fir this Divergent, any good?

Go back a page in this thread, there are those who really like it, Divergent was good but I didn't think the series held up as well as Hunger Games.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay

Still loving this trilogy! This book feels more ambitious, and maintains the dark, grey atmosphere that permeated through the first two, taking it even further into more adult realms.

One thing i have to say: how come fiction aimed at young people today is so dark and gloomy? I love these books, but looking at teenage fiction as a whole i am taken aback by how bleak the majority of the popular titles are!

Still loving this trilogy! This book feels more ambitious, and maintains the dark, grey atmosphere that permeated through the first two, taking it even further into more adult realms.

One thing i have to say: how come fiction aimed at young people today is so dark and gloomy? I love these books, but looking at teenage fiction as a whole i am taken aback by how bleak the majority of the popular titles are!

It seems you're liking the trilogy much more than me, someone the series is (somewhat) aimed to, despite me being male and typically not a fan of the romance parts. I thought the first book was good and ended up reading the second one, but the series never intrigued me enough to read the final installment (even though I own it).

It seems you're liking the trilogy much more than me, someone the series is (somewhat) aimed to, despite me being male and typically not a fan of the romance parts. I thought the first book was good and ended up reading the second one, but the series never intrigued me enough to read the final installment (even though I own it).

I don't think the books are flawless. I find much of the characterisation rather shallow and the style of writing can be at times both annoying and repetitve. But like much science fiction, the story itself is more intriguing than the execution, and in all honesty they are written well enough to stand as truly enjoyable books! If only Suzanne Collins was a more accomplished writer, with a better and more eloquent grasp of English, I reckon we could have had something far grander. As they are, I think they stand as modern classics. But not quite a classic of sci fi on the level of H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert or John Wyndham.

I have yet to finish Mockingjay. Although I think the first book is the most gripping, the way the story expanded from book two onwards is even more intriguing! I simply sense that Collins rushed to get the story finished in time, which is frustrating!

• Like 1

I don't think the books are flawless. I find much of the characterisation rather shallow and the style of writing can be at times both annoying and repetitve. But like much science fiction, the story itself is more intriguing than the execution, and in all honesty they are written well enough to stand as truly enjoyable books! If only Suzanne Collins was a more accomplished writer, with a better and more eloquent grasp of English, I reckon we could have had something far grander. As they are, I think they stand as modern classics. But not quite a classic of sci fi on the level of H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert or John Wyndham.

I have yet to finish Mockingjay. Although I think the first book is the most gripping, the way the story expanded from book two onwards is even more intriguing! I simply sense that Collins rushed to get the story finished in time, which is frustrating!

Ah I understand! I did enjoy the whole premise, but I just can't read books aimed for people my age unless they were written decades ago.

Ah I understand! I did enjoy the whole premise, but I just can't read books aimed for people my age unless they were written decades ago.

Agreed. Hunger Games is the exception for me!

I've been reading the mortal engines series. I tried to read them a while ago but I just couldn't and now think that they're brilliant!

:yay:

Funnily enough, going through some of the YA fiction I loved as a teen, I never felt compelled to read those. But with the Wind Singer trilogy, Hunger Games and His Dark Materials leaving a real mark on my memory, I have pondered over these. (Its been refreshing reading books that are simple).

Back to Hunger Games. I think Mockingjay is the best of the series. The first the most gripping, the second a notch lower but with a fantastic first half, and the third is just a fantastic war story!

Still haven't finished it, but it is absolutely masterful storytelling (but not flawless...).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Ignore my awesome little oopsies Edited by Segue Myles

democracy in america

not sure if I'm gonna stick with this one. do I really wanna spend summer break reading this f*ckin' thing? I'm sure it's great, it seems interesting (I read about 20 pages yesterday), but it also seems for another time in my life, like maybe when I've retired

http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_371w/Boston/2011-2020/2014/04/24/BostonGlobe.com/Arts/Images/AmericanCrucifixion.jpg

And

http://www.maryroach.net/images/books/BonkPbk2.jpg

Edited by gangsterfurious

1982 by Jian Ghomeshi. A nostalgic read about 1982 and quite enjoyable. It brings back lots of memories. He overheard the rehearsal for the Signals tour and is a self professed Rush nut.

It got a good word from one individual of particular note:

"Heartfelt and well told tales of Lolas and Golden Star burgers and escaping the suburbs with one's dreams intact." - Geddy Lee, RUSH

Edit: typos

Edited by CygnusGal

I've been given a horrible summer reading: "Bless Me Ultima." I hate it.

yeah...not sure why that is so popular with the schools

• Like 1