Who's the biggest sell outs

ILSnwdog

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 18 2010, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (andrew28 @ May 18 2010, 02:55 PM)
I wouldn't say KISS sold out, because that would imply that they had musical integrity at some point.

What exactly do you mean by this?? confused13.gif

Meaning that Kiss was about marketing & money more than the actual music. I love Kiss, was in the Kiss Army 1022.gif but c'mon...from movies to lunchboxes to action figures Kiss has always been more about selling the product than making music for music's sake.

I would have to add ZZ Top as major sell outs. Meaning they intentionally went lowest common denominator and simple hooks to create easily digestible hits for radio play rather than explore their blues roots.

Every band needs to be profitable but some become marketing whores and drop all pretense of doing it for their musical vision.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:07 PM)
John Lydon can suck it, as can the Sex Pistols, who still tour thirty years after releasing that one album. What's the purpose in touring if you aren't all about anarchy anymore? What an assclown. Johnny, go make another Never Mind the Bollocks and maybe I'll actually take you seriously.

Have you ever heard Public Image Ltd? If not then I would check it out. Lydon has accomplished much more than just the Sex Pistols.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 18 2010, 02:58 PM)
John Lydon can suck it, as can the Sex Pistols, who still tour thirty years after releasing that one album. What's the purpose in touring if you aren't all about anarchy anymore? What an assclown. Johnny, go make another Never Mind the Bollocks and maybe I'll actually take you seriously.

Have you ever heard Public Image Ltd? If not then I would check it out. Lydon has accomplished much more than just the Sex Pistols.

Yes sir. PIL made some very good stuff in the 80s and IMO accomlished far more musically than the Sex Pistols did. They just didn't get the attention because Johnny wasn't as whacked out as Sid was.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 18 2010, 02:32 PM)

I would have to add ZZ Top as major sell outs. Meaning they intentionally went lowest common denominator and simple hooks to create easily digestible hits for radio play rather than explore their blues roots.

The first 6 albums are very cool

QUOTE (tangy @ May 18 2010, 10:46 AM)
Metallica

My thoughts exactly. I was never really wild about them to begin with, I have to admit.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 18 2010, 02:58 PM)

Yes sir. PIL made some very good stuff in the 80s and IMO accomlished far more musically than the Sex Pistols did. They just didn't get the attention because Johnny wasn't as whacked out as Sid was.

"Ah-ha-ha. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Good night"

Hello. Hello. Hello. Hello. Hello. Hello.

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

You never listen to word that I said

You only seen me

For the clothes that I wear

Or did the interest go so much deeper

It must have been

The color of my hair.

Public Image.

What you wanted was never made clear

Behind the image was ignorance and fear

You hide behind his public machine

Still follow the same old scheme.

Public Image.

Two sides to every story

Somebody had to stop me

I'm not the same as when I began

I will not be treated as property.

Public Image.

Two sides to every story

Somebody had to stop me

I'm not the same as when I began

It's not a game of Monopoly.

Public Image.

Public Image you got what you wanted

The Public Image belongs to me

It's my entrance

My own creation

My grand finale

My goodbye

Public Image.

Public Image.

Goodbye.

For the record, I think Green Day has written some incredibly catchy songs. But they're punk posers.

Aerosmith, for sure.

Then there are "classic rock" artists who went completely commercial and started cranking out disposeable pop hits - like Steve Winwood and Phil Collins and Sting, all of whose 80s solo stuff was a far cry from Traffic and early Genesis and the Police, respectively.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 18 2010, 03:30 PM)
Starship/Jefferson Airplane

Wow! Great one!

Look at the demise of this band, from Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship to just "Starship." 062802puke_prv.gif

Oh! How about Journey and Styx?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 18 2010, 04:48 PM)

Wow! Great one!

Look at the demise of this band, from Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship to just "Starship." 062802puke_prv.gif

We built this city on rock and roll! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 18 2010, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 18 2010, 04:48 PM)

Wow! Great one!

We built this city on rock and roll! 1022.gif

"we built this city" gets a three puke salute!

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I think 12 out of 10 people here hate Aerosmith post-1979, but... I love some of that shit! I pretty much grew up listening to Big Ones, so I'm attached to those songs.

Now here come the rotten tomatoes.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 06:06 PM)
I think 12 out of 10 people here hate Aerosmith post-1979, but... I love some of that shit! I pretty much grew up listening to Big Ones, so I'm attached to those songs.

You better duck................ pokey.gif fing.gif 062802puke_prv.gif schla03.gif no.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif moon.gif b_sigh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 18 2010, 06:20 PM)

You better duck................ pokey.gif fing.gif 062802puke_prv.gif schla03.gif no.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif moon.gif b_sigh.gif

laugh.gif

Duck? What have I got to do with this??

unsure.gif

Metallica (easily the biggest sellout ever)

Def Leppard (one trend to another)

Aerosmith (love the 70's music, I can't even stomach one song from the 90's-present)

Genesis (I understand evolving and maturity but way too much way too soon from say '76-'86)

Bad Company (I kinda like their 80's music but I wish they wouldve just changed their name cuz they ruined the Bad Co. name, but they would eventually come back to the original band again.)

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 18 2010, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 18 2010, 06:20 PM)

laugh.gif

Duck? What have I got to do with this??

unsure.gif

1022.gif

I thought Permanent Vacation and Pump marked a great return, but then they just kept regurgitating the same shit from then until now. All their stuff sounds alike to me.

Def Leppard sum up selling out pretty well for me.

They wrote Hysteria with the goal of it being a huge commercial success, with every song being a radio friendly potential single

Of all the bands listed, Genesis pisses me off the most. They were so amazing. I even like Phil Collins 1st lead effort, And Then There Were Three. Then he took over and it was almost pop.

I just saw their latest tour on Palladia. It was such fluff. Phil acted like he was God's gift to music...very disappointing!

Other bands that come to mind that were kinda ruined by ego maniac lead singers....Journey, Styx (always wanted to bitch slap Dennis), Police. So many more.

QUOTE (J0N @ May 19 2010, 02:48 AM)
They wrote Hysteria with the goal of it being a huge commercial success, with every song being a radio friendly potential single

Well isn't that the purpose to sell records especially as much as it costed to record that album?

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 10:31 AM)
For me, I'll go with the following:
Green Day
REM
Def Leppard
Pearl Jam

Why Pearl Jam if you don't mind me asking?

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ May 19 2010, 12:55 AM)
Rush

See what I did there? wink.gif

Thanks for finally posting this. I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned them yet (I held back). IMO, Rush has "compromised with integrity". Selling out isn't a completely bad thing. To me, there is selling out commercially and then selling out artistically. Case in point, Metallica. They sold out commercially, but not (completely) artistically. If they ever did it was The Black Album. Yet, they never tried to remake what is easily their top selling album. They keep evolving (though not always for the better).

In the big picture, I think it adds some intriguing elements to the music landscape as a whole when bands just continue to evolve, progress, change (like Rush, Metallica, Zeppelin, etc.) though they never reclaim their earlier briliance totally, they don't wind up rehashing their glory days and become a parody. Some bands were meant to evolve, and others like AC/DC never could or should.

QUOTE (g under p @ May 20 2010, 05:09 AM)
QUOTE (J0N @ May 19 2010, 02:48 AM)

Well isn't that the purpose to sell records especially as much as it costed to record that album?

Is changing your musical style to shift records not the definition of selling out?

Archived