Who's the biggest sell outs

ILSnwdog

8 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

theredtamasrule, bigman208, Presto-digitation, Ghost of a Rider, Silas Lang, VarianStar, ghostworks

Have I angered all of you? tongue.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 18 2010, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 11:31 AM)
Def Leppard

yes.gif

"On Through The Night" and "High 'n' Dry" are great albums. The rest sound like pop crap. They almost sounded like a different band. I did enjoy "Slang" though.

Exactly...listen to High N Dry, and then play Pour some sugar on me. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 12:07 PM)
Also, I'm sure that Green Day have never said that they were punk. They did, however, pretty much make pop-punk popular (along with The Offspring and blink-182), and then when they got tired of that, began to evolve their sound. Maybe he's jealous that Green Day hit it big AND received critical acclaim? I don't know.

Oh you wanna bet! I've heard them say in interviews that they were, and they also said "not everyone can be Fugazi." Why mention Fugazi if you don't think you are punk?

QUOTE (Rick @ May 18 2010, 10:33 AM)
Aerosmith

I can't believe I forgot them and Metallica. I guess I was in a hurry. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 18 2010, 11:36 AM)
Green Day.  Ah, Green Day.  Yeah, I agree, pretty much, with what John Lydon has to say about them:

Green Day’s “American Idiot” recently premiered on Broadway. What do you think about the notion of a punk musical?

I knew they were heading that way. I’ve never really liked that band, so I don’t expect much good to come from it. Without earning their wings, they adopted the clothes and apparent lifestyle of what they presumed punk was, and thought that that was good enough. They had none of the content in their songs, not ever. They’re quite meaningless and trivial. So it would figure that sooner or later, some financier would grab hold of them and point them in that direction. And, of course, like lemmings, they’re heading straight for the cliff.

John Lydon can suck it, as can the Sex Pistols, who still tour thirty years after releasing that one album. What's the purpose in touring if you aren't all about anarchy anymore? What an assclown. Johnny, go make another Never Mind the Bollocks and maybe I'll actually take you seriously.

Also, I'm sure that Green Day have never said that they were punk. They did, however, pretty much make pop-punk popular (along with The Offspring and blink-182), and then when they got tired of that, began to evolve their sound. Maybe he's jealous that Green Day hit it big AND received critical acclaim? I don't know.

If you were around when Green Day broke open with Dookie, it is a little funny seeing how they are now.

They presented themselves as snot nosed punks back in the early 90s.

I'm not saying they have sold out, but they obviously have changed that punk image .

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:17 PM)

Oh you wanna bet! I've heard them say in interviews that they were, and they also said "not everyone can be Fugazi." Why mention Fugazi if you don't think you are punk?

Then I stand corrected. However, I'm pretty sure that them saying that they were punk was back in the day (i.e. mid-90s), though I could be wrong. I can't really see them saying that they're punk nowadays.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:14 PM)
Def Leppard

yes.gif

"On Through The Night" and "High 'n' Dry" are great albums. The rest sound like pop crap. They almost sounded like a different band. I did enjoy "Slang" though.

Exactly...listen to High N Dry, and then play Pour some sugar on me. 062802puke_prv.gif

First off Pyromania was also EXCELLENT and in retrospect Hysteria was where the wheels started to fall off, although it didn't seem so bad at the time.

Nonetheless, whenever EVER I hear the word sellouts, I immediately think of these guys. I frigging love their old stuff, and their last 15 or more years have been absolutely nauseating. If I won a contest to be able to nail any musician in the world, with a football to the groin, it would be Joe Elliot for sure. F**k you sellout wussy.

Biggest disappointment EVAR! Yep!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:21 PM)

Then I stand corrected. However, I'm pretty sure that them saying that they were punk was back in the day (i.e. mid-90s), though I could be wrong. I can't really see them saying that they're punk nowadays.

Of course they wouldn't say that now. They've sold out and they acknowledge it.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 18 2010, 02:19 PM)
Green Day.  Ah, Green Day.  Yeah, I agree, pretty much, with what John Lydon has to say about them:

Green Day’s “American Idiot” recently premiered on Broadway. What do you think about the notion of a punk musical?

I knew they were heading that way. I’ve never really liked that band, so I don’t expect much good to come from it. Without earning their wings, they adopted the clothes and apparent lifestyle of what they presumed punk was, and thought that that was good enough. They had none of the content in their songs, not ever. They’re quite meaningless and trivial. So it would figure that sooner or later, some financier would grab hold of them and point them in that direction. And, of course, like lemmings, they’re heading straight for the cliff.

John Lydon can suck it, as can the Sex Pistols, who still tour thirty years after releasing that one album. What's the purpose in touring if you aren't all about anarchy anymore? What an assclown. Johnny, go make another Never Mind the Bollocks and maybe I'll actually take you seriously.

If you were around when Green Day broke open with Dookie, it is a little funny seeing how they are now.

I'm not saying they have sold out, but they obviously have changed that punk image .

I don't really think they want a punk image nowadays. They're also not playing punk these days, and they're also fifteen years older, so they're more mature.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 18 2010, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:14 PM)
Def Leppard

yes.gif

First off Pyromania was also EXCELLENT and in retrospect Hysteria was where the wheels started to fall off, although it didn't seem so bad at the time.

Nonetheless, whenever EVER I hear the word sellouts, I immediately think of these guys. I frigging love their old stuff, and their last 15 or more years have been absolutely nauseating. If I won a contest to be able to nail any musician in the world, with a football to the groin, it would be Joe Elliot for sure. F**k you sellout wussy.

Biggest disappointment EVAR! Yep!

I agree. Pyromania isn't too bad. Hysteria is where it is truly hard to listen to.

QUOTE (tangy @ May 18 2010, 01:27 PM)
by and large green day IMO was pop marketed as punk. they may have started as punk but Dookie was full of MTV hits and was not punk to me.

punk image, pop music.

i think i have read that at one time the goo goo dolls were punk before selling out.

Their first CD could possibly be considered punk. It's pretty rough. But their later work wasn't too far from Superstar Carwash, was it?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:27 PM)

I don't really think they want a punk image nowadays. They're also not playing punk these days, and they're also fifteen years older, so they're more mature.

Ministry has been around since the early 80s, and they never pussed out like Green Day.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:21 PM)

Of course they wouldn't say that now. They've sold out and they acknowledge it.

Oh FFS...

Twenty years ago, they were making pop-punk records on a small label (though Kerplunk sold something like 10,000 copies the day of its release). Fifteen years ago, they were making pop-punk for a major label. The only difference that I've really heard is that they were on a major label. It's not like they were making hardcore punk records, then put out Dookie. If that were the case, THEN I'd have no problem with the term "sellout" being slung around.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 18 2010, 01:27 PM)
by and large green day IMO was pop marketed as punk. they may have started as punk but Dookie was full of MTV hits and was not punk to me.

punk image, pop music.

i think i have read that at one time the goo goo dolls were punk before selling out.

Their first CD could possibly be considered punk. It's pretty rough. But their later work wasn't too far from Superstar Carwash, was it?

I really don't know much about the goo goo dolls and have not heard the record in question. i think i was watching a show about them and their beginnings in buffalo NY and it commented that some of the older fans were disappointed when they went pop.

one thing in common with all the groups frequently mentioned in this thread IMO is that they sold out after being heavily exposed on MTV.

QUOTE (tangy @ May 18 2010, 01:36 PM)
one thing in common with all the groups frequently mentioned in this thread IMO is that they sold out after being heavily exposed on MTV.

No Shit. MTV was the Antichrist! scared.gif

Actually, guys, Green Day did sell out. Read this quote from Tre Cool for his take on how they sold out:

"Satan. Satan, Satan,'' he chanted. "That's what's different. We're all firm believers in Satan now. We think Satan is cool. How the f**k do you think a band like Green Day got popular?''

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:43 PM)
Actually, guys, Green Day did sell out. Read this quote from Tre Cool for his take on how they sold out:

"Satan. Satan, Satan,'' he chanted. "That's what's different. We're all firm believers in Satan now. We think Satan is cool. How the f**k do you think a band like Green Day got popular?''

OK, you're right. They didn't sell out. I stand corrected. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:44 PM)

laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:44 PM)

laugh.gif trink39.gif

Now lets go rip on Aerosmith! laugh.gif

Gene Simmons had a funny line about selling out. I'm paraphrasing but he said something line:

"From the day you sell your first T-shirt, you're not just in the music business; you're in the Marketing business.

I wouldn't say KISS sold out, because that would imply that they had musical integrity at some point.

Aerosmith, on the other hand, definitely sold out when they hired the likes of Desmond Child and Diane Warren to help them write marketable songs in the late 80's and 90's.

Not sure what "sell-out" means, but all the bands listed here Sell Out Every Venue they play.

"Sell Out" is a term made up by fans that don't like the direction of the band.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 18 2010, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 18 2010, 01:27 PM)

Ministry has been around since the early 80s, and they never pussed out like Green Day.

goodpost.gif The same thing can be said for Skinny Puppy. Trent Reznor is their Green Day.

The thing with Green Day is, I don't ever remember considering them to be punk. I always thought of them as an industry-generated pop act, a poor man's Dead Milkmen or something. They were a gimmick that tried to present themselves as punk. You can't really sellout under those circumstances. Thankfully there were bands like face to face and Fugazi who kept punk alive in the 90s.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 18 2010, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (andrew28 @ May 18 2010, 02:55 PM)
I wouldn't say KISS sold out, because that would imply that they had musical integrity at some point.

What exactly do you mean by this?? confused13.gif

Just another Kiss hater , nothing to see here schla03.gif

Archived