The Real Van Halen

ReRushed

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 19 2009, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 18 2009, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (rotting @ Jan 18 2009, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 15 2009, 11:57 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

total crap !!! I agree!! How can a band make such a disaster!! I mean give me cancer or another terrorist attack over 1984 please?!?!?!?

laugh.gif

Van Halen has always had "pop" sensibility. Listen to the harmonies! That's pure pop, my friends. You can find "pop" music on all of Van Halen's albums.

goodpost.gif

If Jamie's Cryin' isn't one big collection of pop hooks, I don't know what is.

Good song, though.

and if I am not mistaken ( which I often am) a riff from jamies crying is used in

After DLR left I lost all interest in the group and even prefered the solo DLR over VH at that point.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rotting @ Jan 19 2009, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jan 19 2009, 12:51 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

total crap !!! I agree!! How can a band make such a disaster!! I mean give me cancer or another terrorist attack over 1984 please?!?!?!?

Stupid statement. yes.gif

facetious yes, stupid no.

It was both facetious AND stupid. Joking about cancer or terrorist attacks is usually considered stupid in most circles. yes.gif

I would put 1984 at the bottom just above diver down for DLR era VH. Just seems way too slick and polished compared to the first 4 albums. I do like a lot of the Hagar era as well, but nothing close to the real VH.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 19 2009, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (rotting @ Jan 19 2009, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jan 19 2009, 12:51 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

Stupid statement. yes.gif

facetious yes, stupid no.

It was both facetious AND stupid. Joking about cancer or terrorist attacks is usually considered stupid in most circles. yes.gif

I believe we as a collective open minded group can joke about whatever. If you really think I wish a terrorist attack or cancer on myself or anyone - no.

goodpost.gif

moving right along here................ 1984 is fantastic, and poppy or not - still my favourite VH alum IMO. wtf.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 19 2009, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jan 19 2009, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 18 2009, 10:20 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

laugh.gif

Van Halen has always had "pop" sensibility. Listen to the harmonies! That's pure pop, my friends. You can find "pop" music on all of Van Halen's albums.

goodpost.gif

If Jamie's Cryin' isn't one big collection of pop hooks, I don't know what is.

Good song, though.

and if I am not mistaken ( which I often am) a riff from jamies crying is used in

After DLR left I lost all interest in the group and even prefered the solo DLR over VH at that point.

Bingo! I'd forgotten about that.

"Let's do it... "(into Alex's famous tom-tom intro) laugh.gif

Such a great band...everything they did with DLR was GOLD...they probably couldn't sound shitty if they tried. Hagar was hit or miss for me, nothing that could really compare

Here's how I'd rank the DLR albums:

Van Halen I

Fair Warning

Women and Children First

Van Halen II

Diver Down

1022.gif

Wow. I can't believe how much Fair Warning has grown on me! What a fabulous record! The best thing about it - the songs! I really held a closed mind to Van Halen as songwriters. Great hooks. Great melodies. Great harmonies. Great lyrics. The music on Fair Warning is SERIOUS and DARK and INSIGHTFUL. Wow. I really sold this band short.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 23 2009, 10:15 AM)
Wow. I can't believe how much Fair Warning has grown on me! What a fabulous record! The best thing about it - the songs! I really held a closed mind to Van Halen as songwriters. Great hooks. Great melodies. Great harmonies. Great lyrics. The music on Fair Warning is SERIOUS and DARK and INSIGHTFUL. Wow. I really sold this band short.

Very very very very easily their most underrated album. yes.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 23 2009, 10:28 AM)
Wow.  I can't believe how much Fair Warning has grown on me!  What a fabulous record!  The best thing about it - the songs!  I really held a closed mind to Van Halen as songwriters.  Great hooks.  Great melodies.  Great harmonies.  Great lyrics.  The music on Fair Warning is SERIOUS and DARK and INSIGHTFUL.  Wow.  I really sold this band short.

yes.gif also the lowest sales for a dave era album 3 mill

I still remember the alex vh product endorsement in modern drummer mag when they named his band "van hagar". "why can't this be love" was the only hagar-era vh I liked (shameful, but true) and it all went downhill from there. Good for their bank accounts, but not the real van halen...

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 23 2009, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 23 2009, 10:28 AM)
Wow.  I can't believe how much Fair Warning has grown on me!  What a fabulous record!  The best thing about it - the songs!  I really held a closed mind to Van Halen as songwriters.  Great hooks.  Great melodies.  Great harmonies.  Great lyrics.  The music on Fair Warning is SERIOUS and DARK and INSIGHTFUL.  Wow.  I really sold this band short.

yes.gif also the lowest sales for a dave era album 3 mill

and by far my favorite. Mean Street is their most kick ass tune.

Quit listening to VH after Roth was out, strange always liked Hagars solo stuff but never really cared for Van Hagar even though just seemed to me a extension of what he did on his own with the added dynamics of Eddies guitar.

Caught couple of those early Halen tours at the Richfield Coliseum, FairWarning- All of them were wasted & sloppy .

Diver Down- Next year just the opposite, energetic & tight great concert 1022.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jan 23 2009, 01:17 PM)
Quit listening to VH after Roth was out, strange always liked Hagars solo stuff but never really cared for Van Hagar even though just seemed to me a extension of what he did on his own with the added dynamics of Eddies guitar.
Caught couple of those early Halen tours at the Richfield Coliseum, FairWarning- All of them were wasted & sloppy .
Diver Down- Next year just the opposite, energetic & tight great concert 1022.gif

when i saw the FAIR WARNING tour they were as tight as a frog's ass. a few of the 1984 TOUR shows i saw were a little trink38.gif but great anyway

1022.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 13 2009, 10:12 PM)
Wow.  I am currently re-listening to all the David Lee Roth Van Halen albums.  I think I really missed the boat the first time around!  I always held my nose up towards Van Halen and never really gave them a fair shake.  Though I don't like everything there are some true gems on those albums!

My favorite albums, in order, are:

Fair Warning
Women and Children First
Van Halen
Van Halen II
Diver Down

Note: Rotting's 25 Years Later thread incouraged me to start this thread.

Sounds like you have been Re-VH'd wink.gif

See..i have an affinity for Diver Down...i cant get enough of LITTLE GUITARS and another guilty pleasure from VH is ICE CREAM MAN

Honestly dont know how you dismissed VH in the first place. I dont say that in a bad way, they were just so kick ass back in the day.

Welcome Back lol

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jan 14 2009, 08:59 AM)
I even saw DLR on a solo tour and Cinderella and Poison opened for him. Pretty funny now when I think about it.

you wanna talk funny? LOL I also saw DLR on his solo tour in Philadelphia when Poison opened...1988 maybe?

me, two guy friends and a girlfriend all dressed up in total poser metal outfits...spandex, animal prints, high heel boots--on us ALL--heavy black eyeliner--on us ALL, fishnet--ON THE GUYS (we made sleeves out of it) ---and it was a frickin blast!

we got lots of looks and comments, some people even thought we were "with the band"

we thought we were so badass...and you know, of course, we were 1022.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jan 24 2009, 01:08 PM)
I even saw DLR on a solo tour and Cinderella and Poison opened for him.  Pretty funny now when I think about it.

you wanna talk funny? LOL I also saw DLR on his solo tour in Philadelphia when Poison opened...1988 maybe?

me, two guy friends and a girlfriend all dressed up in total poser metal outfits...spandex, animal prints, high heel boots--on us ALL--heavy black eyeliner--on us ALL, fishnet--ON THE GUYS (we made sleeves out of it) ---and it was a frickin blast!

we got lots of looks and comments, some people even thought we were "with the band"

i think it was 86, i saw it 2 times. then in 88 d l r had poison open up

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 24 2009, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jan 24 2009, 01:08 PM)
I even saw DLR on a solo tour and Cinderella and Poison opened for him.  Pretty funny now when I think about it.

i think it was 86, i saw it 2 times. then in 88 d l r had poison open up

1022.gif

Man, that band Roth had on that tour was KILLERR!!..

Vai and Sheehan, Bissonette

You know Dave just wanted to DESTROY the Halen brothers and i think he did it on that tour.

I always felt by 86 Eddie and Alex had lost some edge.

Play the Van Halen "Asteroids" game!

You'll thank me. Play "Asteroids," with Diamond Dave as your spaceship, shooting bullets from between Dave's legs (circa his VH2 photo), fire at big Eddies and VH logos, and fire also at Sammy as the alien spaceships!

Fun!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 25 2009, 02:15 PM)
Play the Van Halen "Asteroids" game!

You'll thank me. Play "Asteroids," with Diamond Dave as your spaceship, shooting bullets from between Dave's legs (circa his VH2 photo), fire at big Eddies and VH logos, and fire also at Sammy as the alien spaceships!

Fun!

That game is funny. rofl3.gif I put in on my bookmarks.

i saw an short interview with ED on CNN. they will work on new music w/dave after his wedding in june .

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2009, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 02:31 PM)
i saw an short interview with ED on CNN. they will work on new music w/dave after his wedding in june .

yeah, that's it. i think the clip i saw was a little longer. maybe a min more? good news . let's just hope we don't have to wait 2 years for it

Archived