The Real Van Halen

ReRushed

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 14 2009, 02:00 PM)
From F.U.C.K., I really like "Judgement Day" and "Pleasure Dome" (some subtle Rush-iness in that one, and lots of excellent guitar work). "Poundcake" isn't bad, but the rest of that album is meh.

Absolutely! Judgment Day is an AWESOME song! One of my favourites from that album for sure! Oh, and yes...I have always looked at PLEASURE DOME as a 'progressive' piece of sorts.

At least by Van Halen standards, I would consider PD an EPIC. Very cool sounding tune all around.

Also..."THE DREAM IS OVER" is an outstanding piece from F.U.C.K, which is usually overlooked! yes.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 14 2009, 08:54 AM)
Haha...yikes, I guess I shouldn't mention that I'm a Van Hagar fan myself!! ph34r.gif

I'm with you. I think Hagar added something to the band, and I enjoy alot of the work they did together. Less of a party band, but lots of good songs and much better lyrics with Hagar.

I hated Hagar until I saw him live. He was great, much better than the Roth solo act I caught the same year. Once I got past my adolescent grudge against Sammy, I realized that Hagar has a solid catalog of songs from the old Montrose days and through his solo and VH careers.

VH were on fire with DLR. Nobody could touch them. I like the Sammy stuff too, but it wasn't the phenomenon the original VH were. Sam Halen was too radio friendly and safe. That being said, 5150 is a classic. That album had some real emotion on it and great song writing.

Too bad DLR is fukannoying. And an ass on top of that. But I guess that was part of what makes him appealing. I prefer Fair Warning and Woman and Children First. The other albums are OK. 1984 was pop crap.

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 14 2009, 05:45 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 14 2009, 08:54 AM)
Haha...yikes, I guess I shouldn't mention that I'm a Van Hagar fan myself!!  ph34r.gif

I'm with you. I think Hagar added something to the band, and I enjoy alot of the work they did together. Less of a party band, but lots of good songs and much better lyrics with Hagar.

I hated Hagar until I saw him live. He was great, much better than the Roth solo act I caught the same year. Once I got past my adolescent grudge against Sammy, I realized that Hagar has a solid catalog of songs from the old Montrose days and through his solo and VH careers.

I like the Van Hagar era as well. Each era had something to offer though. But the VH3 fiasco was just completely unnecessary.

FAIR WARNING

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST

VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN II

DIVER DOWN

that is how i look at them 1022.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 15 2009, 11:57 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

how do you call DROP DEAD LEGS, HOUSE OF PAIN and TOP JIMMY pop crap ? they were never on the radio .

wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2009, 01:37 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

how do you call DROP DEAD LEGS, HOUSE OF PAIN and TOP JIMMY pop crap ? they were never on the radio .

wink.gif

Oh man, they made the radio all the time up my way. The whole album pretty much did. OK, those songs, maybe not so much pop, but definitely not too memorable to me.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 15 2009, 12:40 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

Oh man, they made the radio all the time up my way. The whole album pretty much did. OK, those songs, maybe not so much pop, but definitely not too memorable to me.

i here ya, i never really dug JUMP or PANAMA

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2009, 01:43 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

When I first heard Jump, I was thinking "what the hell is this shit!"

Heck, I still think that.

edit: The Jump video ranks just better than Journey's "Separate Ways".

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 15 2009, 01:14 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

laugh.gif atleast V.H. was drunk when they made that vid. what the hell was journey's problem ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2009, 12:43 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

Really? I could see JUMP not appealing as much due to it's "poppy" sound.

But PANAMA? confused13.gif

Personally...I think it's one of their best, if not the best track they ever wrote! Just a smokin' song, that I always call my favourite "driving song". Pure adrenaline...and that middle bridge section is out of this world! 1022.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2009, 01:21 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

laugh.gif atleast V.H. was drunk when they made that vid. what the hell was journey's problem ?

z7shysterical.gif spit6ph.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2009, 02:21 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

rofl3.gif

No kidding!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 15 2009, 01:22 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

Personally...I think it's one of their best, if not the best track they ever wrote! Just a smokin' song, that I always call my favourite "driving song". Pure adrenaline...and that middle bridge section is out of this world! 1022.gif yes.gif

i am really not a big fan of the songs they played the shit out of back in the day. that era-78-84 is my fav of all time but, i never listen to JUMP , PANAMA, RUNNIN WITH THE DEVIL , YOU REALLY GOT ME 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif . you get the idea. i liked it when it first came out but if you listen to GIRL GONE BAD , HOUSE OF PAIN i don't think it's a contest

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2009, 01:47 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

i am really not a big fan of the songs they played the shit out of back in the day. that era-78-84 is my fav of all time but, i never listen to JUMP , PANAMA, RUNNIN WITH THE DEVIL , YOU REALLY GOT ME 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif . you get the idea. i liked it when it first came out but if you listen to GIRL GONE BAD , HOUSE OF PAIN i don't think it's a contest

I hear ya! trink39.gif

Actually, I can completely agree with you on RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL. To be honest, I've always found that song to be quite overrated. ph34r.gif

In fact, when I look at VH1 (the best debut album of all-time) as a whole, RWTD would actually rank near the bottom for me!

I agree...those other songs you listed (GGB and HOP) are definitely awesome tunes! Just like Rush...some of the least played and least known songs are the gems of the albums.

I've always felt this way about LITTLE DREAMER as well! Just a smokin' little tune, buried within a phenominal album. 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 15 2009, 02:16 PM)
1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

I hear ya! trink39.gif

Actually, I can completely agree with you on RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL. To be honest, I've always found that song to be quite overrated. ph34r.gif

In fact, when I look at VH1 (the best debut album of all-time) as a whole, RWTD would actually rank near the bottom for me!

I agree...those other songs you listed (GGB and HOP) are definitely awesome tunes! Just like Rush...some of the least played and least known songs are the gems of the albums.

I've always felt this way about LITTLE DREAMER as well! Just a smokin' little tune, buried within a phenominal album. 1022.gif

yes.gif L.D. kick's ass

1984 was pop crap.

wink.gif

"Girl Gone Bad" is my fave song from that album. Some weird stuff going on in that one, but it rocks.

1984 was pop crap.

total crap !!! I agree!! How can a band make such a disaster!! I mean give me cancer or another terrorist attack over 1984 please?!?!?!?

QUOTE (rotting @ Jan 18 2009, 10:14 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

total crap !!! I agree!! How can a band make such a disaster!! I mean give me cancer or another terrorist attack over 1984 please?!?!?!?

laugh.gif

Van Halen has always had "pop" sensibility. Listen to the harmonies! That's pure pop, my friends. You can find "pop" music on all of Van Halen's albums.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 18 2009, 10:20 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

laugh.gif

Van Halen has always had "pop" sensibility. Listen to the harmonies! That's pure pop, my friends. You can find "pop" music on all of Van Halen's albums.

goodpost.gif

If Jamie's Cryin' isn't one big collection of pop hooks, I don't know what is.

Good song, though.

I was introduced to VH by my friend's older brother in 1980. He said, "Wanna hear the greatest rock band you'll ever hear in your life?"

Of course I said, "Sure"

So, he put on VH I.

I was hooked instantly. That was my introduction to hard rock. Prior to that, I'd only listened to music my parents listened to (lite FM kinda stuff...not that there's anything wrong with that laugh.gif ).

From there I went on to listening to AC/DC, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc..

For me, VH was the gateway drug.

So, my initial exposure was the DLR era. I was a bit upset that Dave left or was kicked out. It took me years to warm up the the Sammy version of VH. But, I now have all of VH's albums. Due to a lack of production by the band, I was forced to go back and re-discover the Sammy era. I gotta admit, I love both. The Sammy era VH kicks butt.

I still claim loyalty to the DLR era, but I really love both.

1984 was pop crap.

Stupid statement. yes.gif

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jan 19 2009, 12:51 AM)
1984 was pop crap.

Stupid statement. yes.gif

facetious yes, stupid no.

Archived