The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

Oh Boy, the Progeny release (2 cd) is excellent! The sound quality is superior to Yessongs.Alan White is the star performer! May have to find some extra cash to buy the full box set!

Did anyone here pick up the full box? Call out to Mr Hatchet... :NP:

Oh Boy, the Progeny release (2 cd) is excellent! The sound quality is superior to Yessongs.Alan White is the star performer! May have to find some extra cash to buy the full box set!

The 2 disc set seems a lot better deal. Same reason I didn't want Road To Red

Yep. I did. Worth every penny. The sound is great, & despite the identical sets, there are little differences here and there that make this a must have. And with Chris' passing, all the more poignant.

We'll not see their like again.

• Like 1

Does YES have any good live DVD's?

Symphonic Live, House of Yes, 9012Live & Live In Philadelphia are my favourites.

Keys To Ascension would be RIGHT up there if it wasn't for the cheesy new-age graphics. Toe-curling shite.

The New Director's Cut is really good, Montreux, Tsongas are fine too.

The Union Live one isn't a full show, so that sucks dysentery monkey ass. Yessongs is too darkly shot, with poor editing and not a full show, but great music & a good doc.

DVDs with Jon substitutes have not been watched, and nor will they be.

FWIW, the best doc is Yesyears, the CA one is great too. Yesspeak HAD buckets of potential, until they got Roger Daltrey in to shout-narrate all over it.

If I remember correctly, Live at Montreux 2003 was good

That one has a great set list, but a lifeless performance by the band; to say they looked bored out of their minds would be an understatement.

I think House of Yes: Live from House of Blues is much better. Great performance in that one, despite the lack of Rick Wakeman.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, Live at Montreux 2003 was good

That one has a great set list, but a lifeless performance by the band; to say they looked bored out of their minds would be an understatement.

I think House of Yes: Live from House of Blues is much better. Great performance in that one, despite the lack of Rick Wakeman.

Agreed, a joyous performance, they were in a good place with The Ladder.

Now that Chris Squire has been taken from us maybe they should retire Yes and start a new band.Don't think this will happen though!
  • Like 1

Eureka! Now I know why I like the new one so much.

It's a Jon Anderson solo album, without Jon Anderson!!! I'm a sucker for Jon's solo stuff. Just simple melodies, and everything is great in the cosmos.

The only Davison-less track, It Was All We Knew, written by Lord Howe of Cemetryville, is awful though.

Playing this again today. Hard to believe it's the last album with Chris on it, possibly the last Yes album ever.

Maybe after the tour, with Billy Sherwood on bass, they might find some inspiration.

Eureka! Now I know why I like the new one so much.

It's a Jon Anderson solo album, without Jon Anderson!!! I'm a sucker for Jon's solo stuff. Just simple melodies, and everything is great in the cosmos.

The only Davison-less track, It Was All We Knew, written by Lord Howe of Cemetryville, is awful though.

Playing this again today. Hard to believe it's the last album with Chris on it, possibly the last Yes album ever.

Maybe after the tour, with Billy Sherwood on bass, they might find some inspiration.

The only way Yes will ever get back to the glory days will be when Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman are asked to rejoin the band !

• Like 1

Here's the current line-up:

11939668_546935152123487_1962977414_n.jpg

Are you guys excited or what!? :D

...What? ...No?

They're a shell of what they once were (and if not, much less than that)?

Hmmm...

They're disgracing two (and if not, more) crucial members to the band by continuing without them? They're classless and without respect to the men who made the band so great to begin with?

...Oh come one, that's hogwash.

Edited by Mr. Not

I don't regard Yes as Yes anymore.

But that is me...I keep thinking that Toto is touring with a bizarre tribute band!

• Like 1

But that is me...I keep thinking that Toto is touring with a bizarre tribute band!

some bands can get away with swaping members for me. such as Toto. They swapped vocalists all the time and bass players.

Spock's Beard is another....swapping Vocalists and i still buy every record.

Yes is not that band. No Jon Anderson no Dice. or even Wakeman and now Squire.

Yup to me Yes has disbanded.

Mick

• Like 1

JA and RW should take it over again.

They could do another Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe. (actually was a really good tour with Tony Levin or Jeff Berlin on Bass!!)

But it will never happen.

some bands can get away with swaping members for me. such as Toto. They swapped vocalists all the time and bass players.

Mick

I don't believe Yes needed Anderson to be Yes. Drama is a Yes album to my ears, more so than the two that followed.

But the last couple of albums, the lineup, the music, the tours: ouch.

Mick

I don't believe Yes needed Anderson to be Yes. Drama is a Yes album to my ears, more so than the two that followed.

Drama has ok songs with a poor vocalist, IMO. The newer stuff. whoever it is sounds like he's on constant auto-tune.

just awful.

And Anderson was more then willing to come back in......the rest said nope.

idiots.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Drama has ok songs with a poor vocalist, IMO. The newer stuff. whoever it is sounds like he's on constant auto-tune.

just awful.

And Anderson was more then willing to come back in......the rest said nope.

idiots.

Mick

I like Drama. 5/10, but not offensively bad like Union or [insert any post Union album here].

I tried The Ladder, Magnification and the rest, but aside from Keys, it all felt hollow. Too much looking back, or picking the worst elements of the respective current scene. The Ladder sounded like a Yes remix album to my ears!

• Like 1