What was the first novel you ever read?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 9 2008, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 9 2008, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 9 2008, 09:56 AM)
of my own volition, probably a Goosebumps book

Same here.

I was big into goosebumbs as a kid as well, but those are more "novellas" than full novels.

But I also did read some of the other stuff R.L Stein put out that were fuller legnth and that cold be concidered Novels.

I still have the complete or near complete collection of all the Goosebumbs books.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Sep 9 2008, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 8 2008, 07:47 PM)
Mine was Doctor Doolittle. I was eight or nine.

Holy cow that is bizarre....I open the thread and the very first post is that book..... laugh.gif

One of the first novels I remember reading was The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle when I was 7. Oh man that brings back some memories............ wub.gif I completely fell in love with that book and I have not stopped reading since. smile.gif I don't know if that was my first but it might as well have been....

Cool! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 9 2008, 09:29 PM)
not sure of first but I remember reading Hardy Boys stories, the star wars novels, and a interesting book called Quag Keep by Andre Norton. It was a pretty clever book based on D&D. I can still remember my two favorite characters from the book; Naile Fangtooth and Milo Jagan. Writing about this really takes me back. Remember when you had a completely open mind, active imagination, and the naivete to believe in anything? I can, barely.......

I read the Avatar Trilogy which had to do with the D&D Gods being cast down to Faerun to sort of fight it out to see who gets to return.

What was really surprising about those books is that one of the 4 adventurers (Cyric, the thief) ended up killing the god of murder and taking his place. I didn't see that coming. They made some references to the events of these books in the Baldur's Gate PC games, which was cool to see.

Henry Huggins, Runaway Ralph and Ramona & Beezus series' by Beverly Cleary, Encyclopedia Brown, lots of Greek mythology.

The first "real" novel I remember reading was Firestarter by Stephen King as a freshman in high school.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 10 2008, 02:20 PM)
I have read sooooo many books in my life; started very young. I'm pretty sure my first one was a S.E. Hinton book...probably "That Was Then, This Is Now."

I was just reading up on Miss Hinton and found out she just turned 60 this year.... ohmy.gif Wow! The time flies ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 10 2008, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 10 2008, 02:20 PM)
I have read sooooo many books in my life;  started very young.  I'm pretty sure my first one was a S.E. Hinton book...probably "That Was Then, This Is Now."

I was just reading up on Miss Hinton and found out she just turned 60 this year.... ohmy.gif Wow! The time flies ph34r.gif

I started "That Was Then, This Is Now" but never finished it.

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Sep 10 2008, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 10 2008, 02:36 PM)
Jaws

Is that book any good? I've never seen the movie.

I read it when I was 11 years old. I liked it then, as for now, I can't tell you. My gut tells me probably not. The movie is fantastic, though.

Anyone remember...

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Julie of the Wolves

It's Like This, Cat

The Jeep

Harriet the Spy

The Long Secret

Sport

The Trouble With Terry

Mrs. Coverlet's Magicians

The Lost Queen of Egypt

The Egypt Game

My Darling, My Hamburger

The Pigman

...?

I still love these as an adult.

QUOTE (Imperatrix @ Sep 11 2008, 12:28 PM)
Harriet the Spy

The Long Secret

Sport

I loved this series. How many kids who read it went out and started a "spy route" like Harriet? cool.gif

Based on some of your other picks, I'm thinking you may have also read things like "Mom, The Wolfman, and Me," and books by Robert Cormier or M.E. Kerr. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 11 2008, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (Imperatrix @ Sep 11 2008, 12:28 PM)
Harriet the Spy

The Long Secret

Sport

I loved this series. How many kids who read it went out and started a "spy route" like Harriet? cool.gif

Based on some of your other picks, I'm thinking you may have also read things like "Mom, The Wolfman, and Me," and books by Robert Cormier or M.E. Kerr. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

YES! I had a spy route and a notebook and tool belt and red sweatshirt and Converse and cuffed jeans! She was my idol for years. To this day I eat tomato sandwiches. laugh.gif

I adored how Louise Fitzhugh portrayed the rich of NYC and the Hamptons. Agatha Plumber and Bunny. This is the stuff that the Coen Brothers dream about. laugh.gif

I want to check out "Mom, The Wolfman, and Me," and stuff by Robert Cormier or M.E. Kerr. I never read these, but, as I am a pushover for great kids' books, I'm going to find 'em. Thanks for the tip! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 10 2008, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Sep 10 2008, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 10 2008, 02:36 PM)
Jaws

Is that book any good? I've never seen the movie.

I read it when I was 11 years old. I liked it then, as for now, I can't tell you. My gut tells me probably not. The movie is fantastic, though.

Great opening line, as I recall. "The great fish moved silently through the night water...with few moves of its crescent tail". Something like that. I was ten or eleven, too. I remember the affair scene between Hooper and Brody's wife as being a real distraction from the story. Other than that, it follows the movie pretty closely. Some good descriptive language, though.

My earlliest would be Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and elevator sequel), Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing, the Hobbit, and certain parts of my mom's Danielle Steel novels.

ph34r.gif

Like several others have mentioned, I can't remember this at all! The first time I read an entire book and finished it? No clue. I read a fair amount of kids books - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, A Wrinkle in Time, James and the Giant Peach, a Judy Blume book or two and probably some Hardy Boys books.

I was never really big into reading books though until around age 13 when I discovered science fiction and then I read voraciously for years. The first one I read was probably either Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke or Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. It's hard to remember though...

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 12 2008, 12:20 AM)
My earlliest would be Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and elevator sequel), Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing, the Hobbit, and certain parts of my mom's Danielle Steel novels.

ph34r.gif

Awwww....I had totally forgotten about Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing...

I read that, and Superfudge; Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Deenie...tons of Judy Blume books.

When I was younger I loved the Henry/Ramona books and Charlotte's Web....and I was a huge fan of the Little House books too.

I remember reading in the summers, sitting by the screened door and listening to the rain. eh.gif b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Sep 10 2008, 09:26 PM)
My memory of the first books I read in my youth are rather vague, but I think the very first was Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me Margaret...

Yep, same here.

I see, GG has this book down, too.

Also, The Outsiders.

I've read so much, but I really can't remember the names of earlier books....just these two come to mind.

The first I ever got into enough to read all the way through was "Peony" by Pearl S. Buck. Very good story. Buck also wrote "The Good Earth". smile.gif