What was the first novel you ever read?

Jack Aubrey

Mine was Doctor Doolittle. I was eight or nine.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to pick up whatever was lying around the house when I was a kid. Some were definitely not the things a seven or eight year old boy should be reading. I remember reading The Hite Report, a study of female sexuality, from cover to cover when I was about nine/ten. I don't think that counts as a novel though, eh? It was a big book though.

And there were always Reader's Digest abridged novels. I read JAWS and that actually led me to getting the complete version, which I loved. The book was SOOOO much different from the movie. Benchley is so much more of a complete writer than what everyone thinks because of his movies.

Then at the age of about twelve... i read THE EXCORCIST in one sitting. I started it in the afternoon, and couldn't put it down. Plus it scared the shit out of me and I couldn't turn the light off to go to sleep, so I just read it all night and finished it. Finally went to sleep in the morning. laugh.gif cat.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 9 2008, 02:56 PM)
of my own volition, probably a Goosebumps book

I remember those! I loved the Monster Blood trilogy. biggrin.gif I don't know if I'd call them novels, though...

I think mine was Dragonsbane by Patrica Someone-or-other... If I'm not mistaken, it now goes by an alternate title, How To Deal With Dragons.

Lord of the Flies...if that's considered a novel. I was four or five at the time. Then I plowed my way through a whole bunch of Taylor Caldwell, Pearl S. Buck, and James Michener books. I liked the dirty parts of the Michener/Caldwell stuff. laugh.gif

The one book that made me go "Yikes!" was Erich Fromm's The Anatomy Of Human Destructiveness. I read it when I was eleven. Scary stuff.

How can you guys remember??? unsure.gif

I guess it depends on what you might label a "novel," but I read a series of books about a young kid who invented things... Alvin Fernald was his name.

Since 1960, children have been enthralled by the adventures of Alvin Fernald. Whenever Alvin's Magnificent Brain kicks into action, it's time to watch out! For Alvin is always thinking up another marvelous invention. Maybe it's the Foolproof Burglar Alarm for his bedroom door, or a Sure Shot Paper Slinger for delivering newspapers from his bike. But there's no doubt about it, as his sister the Pest says, "Alvin is a genius!"

With his best friend Wilfred Shoemaker (Shoie for short) and the Pest, who always tags along, there is never a dull moment...

... and also the Encyclopedia Brown books, in second and third grade.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Ender's Game. A total surprise ending. I've heard they've been wanting to make this into a movie but so far no dice.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 9 2008, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 9 2008, 09:56 AM)
of my own volition, probably a Goosebumps book

Same here.

I was big into goosebumbs as a kid as well, but those are more "novellas" than full novels.

But I also did read some of the other stuff R.L Stein put out that were fuller legnth and that cold be concidered Novels.

Other than that I read "THe Hobbit" at about age 9.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 9 2008, 09:09 AM)
How can you guys remember??? unsure.gif

laugh.gif The dirty parts.

I've given it some thought ("What was I reading in Grade X?") and think I remember...

Second grade and Third grade: Encyclopedia Brown series, Hardy Boys, superhero comics

Fourth grade: a haunted house story for "young readers"

Fifth grade: "Splinter of the Mind's Eye," "The Hobbit," Choose-Your-Own-Adventure series, "Harriet the Spy," and illustrated adaptations of the classics

Sixth grade: more illustrated adaptations of the classics, more Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, "Empire Strikes Back"

NO clue.

I did read a series of books for young girls. They were historical fiction books all based on this place called "Wild Rose Inn". So the books would be like "Jill of the Wild Rose Inn" for example. Each book had to do with a different time in history, ranging from the revolutionary war time to WWII in New England. I LOVED them. Each character was related through the years and it told stories based around that time. I remember one of them written in Prohibition time, the Inn becamse a speakeasy. They were really cool! They showcased strong female characters and gave a history lesson at the same time.

Anyone remember "The Pushcart War"?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 8 2008, 07:47 PM)
Mine was Doctor Doolittle. I was eight or nine.

Holy cow that is bizarre....I open the thread and the very first post is that book..... laugh.gif

One of the first novels I remember reading was The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle when I was 7. Oh man that brings back some memories............ wub.gif I completely fell in love with that book and I have not stopped reading since. smile.gif I don't know if that was my first but it might as well have been....

not sure of first but I remember reading Hardy Boys stories, the star wars novels, and a interesting book called Quag Keep by Andre Norton. It was a pretty clever book based on D&D. I can still remember my two favorite characters from the book; Naile Fangtooth and Milo Jagan. Writing about this really takes me back. Remember when you had a completely open mind, active imagination, and the naivete to believe in anything? I can, barely.......

Early stuff I remember: Encyclopedia brown, Hardy Boys, C. S. Lewis, A Wrinkle In Time, Where The Red Fern Grows, The Hobbit, Taran Wanderer. Ordering them's hard. Probably Hardy Boys first, but who knows?