What was the first novel you ever read?

Jack Aubrey

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not completely sure about first, but I think it was The Chronicles on Narnia.

WaterShip Downs another possibility. confused13.gif

Not sure if this counts, but in 1st grade I remember buying the first Star Trek collection of episode adaptations by James Blish at a book fair. My teacher thought it was above my reading level, but I was a big fan and I managed to muddle through it.

The first actual novel was probably either Walter Farley's The Black Stallion, or Ian Fleming's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

First Novel (?)

I guess that would have to be The Fellowship Of The Ring -at least it's the first I remember.

1978 -I was fourteen.

I finished the triology then I read The Hobbit.

Then ALL things Tolkien -and many, many other things since.

III.

QUOTE (Imperatrix @ Sep 9 2008, 04:40 PM)
Anyone remember "The Pushcart War"?

Saw it mentioned recently in The New Yorker. I hadn't thought about it in years. It's a good article and brings up some other NY kids book classics:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/09...2fa_fact_gopnik

edit: linked article is mainly about Babar

Edited by MalNarpet

QUOTE (Imperatrix @ Sep 10 2008, 01:00 AM)
Lord of the Flies...if that's considered a novel. I was four or five at the time.

Not that Lord of the Flies was a difficult read, but 4 or 5? Are you sure? That seems mighty hefty for someone that hadn't even lost a tooth yet

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 8 2008, 07:36 AM)
Lord of the Flies...if that's considered a novel.  I was four or five at the time.

Not that Lord of the Flies was a difficult read, but 4 or 5? Are you sure? That seems mighty hefty for someone that hadn't even lost a tooth yet

it gets overused but I have to break it out:

rofl3.gif

literally.

fell off chair.

laughing on floor.

nice.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 16 2008, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 8 2008, 07:36 AM)
Lord of the Flies...if that's considered a novel.  I was four or five at the time.

it gets overused but I have to break it out:

rofl3.gif

literally.

fell off chair.

laughing on floor.

nice.

wink.gif

I can't remember the first novel I ever read. That would've been a long, long time ago. The first one I read that I would still consider picking up today would be Stephen King's Cujo. I guess I was about 12. Until then I'd never read a book with swearing in so it was quite a shock the amount of bad language in there, plus graphic violence and sex scenes. It certainly didn't put me off though and I got huge into Stephen King off that book. Might seem an odd first choice for one of his books but I picked it based on the cover which I thought was really cool.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Oct 19 2008, 12:40 PM)
Question; Can a book you read when you were three or four really be considered a novel? laugh.gif

I think mine was something by Enid Blyton, Five Go to Smugglers Top I think, but this is just a wild guess at this point, i did read that book though along with about a half a dozen or more of hers...

Wow, I really have to think here tongue.gif It'd probably be something like Nancy Drew... or possibly one of Judy Blume's older books. Wish I could remember!! I've read too many books since then! tongue.gif Edited by Cygnalschick

Treasure Island by R. L. Stevenson. It was the first "proper" book I literally couldn't put down. I was about 10, maybe younger. Before that, I hated reading... Funnily enough, never had any desire to re-read it, although I regularly re-read books I love, generally.

I think it was The Hobbit.

Peony by Pearl S. Buck. I had to read it for a High School English class. I was amazed that I was able to get through it. Pearl Buck has an interesting past and an intrigueing writing style. So in the end, I suppose, you put for the effort and it will really pay off. I got a B+ on my report biggrin.gif