What's the most overrated Rush song

drewb93

Available Light.

Why is everyone drooling over this song?

Everyone considers this to be the late 80's Xanadu or 2112.

Who in their right mind says that? Available Light isnt bad but I never hear anyone mention it

• Like 2

Available Light.

Who in their right mind says that? Available Light isnt bad but I never hear anyone mention it

I like that song, but lots of people say it's one of their best. You have to deeply search for it.

2112 :sundog:

One of those tracks where it worked better in the studio.

Live, especially in early versions, the song rarely worked - sometimes too fast, sometimes the toms are pitched too high, sometime the band doesn't congeal ---always seems to be some issue.

Different Stages though - that version is super rad and I love it.

Available Light.

I love Available Light. Beautiful lyrics and touching arrangement that skillfully suits Geddy's voice. And GREAT playing by Lifeson, especially in that second verse. I think it's a sly nod to Tom Sawyer too.

• Like 2

Available Light.

I like that song, but lots of people say it's one of their best. You have to deeply search for it.

Similar for me, I think it's ok but would say there are much better songs on Presto, which is a pretty low bar tbh.

• Like 1

Xanadu and Camera Eye both for the same reasons - too few ideas for such long songs. Both need editing.

Yeah but The Camera Eye has such flawless recording that it doesn't matter.

Listen with studio quality headphones. It's beauuuuuuutifully balanced.

• Like 1

Xanadu and Camera Eye both for the same reasons - too few ideas for such long songs. Both need editing.

:yes:

:yes:

Most Broon-produced albums are beautifully balanced but that doesn't change my rating of the songs.

Why was everyone so keen on hearing Jacob's Ladder until they finally played it on R40? I mean, nice song but seems a bit unremarkable to me. So I guess that makes it overrated in my eyes.

Why was everyone so keen on hearing Jacob's Ladder until they finally played it on R40? I mean, nice song but seems a bit unremarkable to me. So I guess that makes it overrated in my eyes.

Ged said the same thing. He wasn't keen on reviving it. That was one of Alex's babies.

I play almost the whole song on guitar, and it's really, really fun to jam on (though the tempo feels a little sludgy to me today).

In other words, like a lot of prog, it's more fun to play than to listen to.

Ged said the same thing. He wasn't keen on reviving it. That was one of Alex's babies.

I play almost the whole song on guitar, and it's really, really fun to jam on (though the tempo feels a little sludgy to me today).

In other words, like a lot of prog, it's more fun to play than to listen to.

"Sludgy" is an apt description imo.

Available Light.

If you have to “deeply search for it” then it means that everyone does NOT drool over it. Not even that many drool over it if you have to search for it.

• Like 1

Available Light.

Have we found the new Yogi Berra?

• Like 1

Available Light.

Have we found the new Yogi Berra?

possibly

Available Light.

If you have to “deeply search for it” then it means that everyone does NOT drool over it. Not even that many drool over it if you have to search for it.

I meant that you gotta look for topics about the song, Presto, etc.

I've looked up lots of lists of people's favorite Rush songs. Available Light is there quite a lot

Tom Sawyer. It’s not a bad song by any means, but there are so many better Rush songs that you can listen to, and Tom Sawyer is not that high up on my list of greatest Rush songs though.
  • Like 1