King Crimson

Finbar

What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?

• In the Court of the Crimson King
    • In the Wake of Poseidon
    • Lizard
    • Islands
    • Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    • Starless and Bible Black
    • Red
    • Discipline
    • Beat
    • Three of a Perfect Pair
    • THRAK
    • The ConstruKction of Light
    • The Power to Believe

I'm not a big fan of King Crimson but I do have the first 4, Red and Discipline. Here's how I rank them.

In The Court of the Crimson King

In The Wake of Poseidon

Red

Lizard

Discipline

Islands

I'm unsure whether I'll even keep those last two. I recently listened to Discipline and didn't really enjoy it at all.

I just recently started really loving Crimson (I've hated them for close to the past 10 years). Somewhere along the line, Red (or more particularly, Starless) just really hit me hard. What a fantastic band...I'm so excited to delve into all their material and start learning it.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Sep 24 2010, 08:53 AM)
I just recently started really loving Crimson (I've hated them for close to the past 10 years). Somewhere along the line, Red (or more particularly, Starless) just really hit me hard. What a fantastic band...I'm so excited to delve into all their material and start learning it.

"Starless" is fantastic. It's one of my favorite songs of all-time.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 24 2010, 07:55 AM)
I just recently started really loving Crimson (I've hated them for close to the past 10 years).  Somewhere along the line, Red (or more particularly, Starless) just really hit me hard.  What a fantastic band...I'm so excited to delve into all their material and start learning it.

It really is. I always get SO excited when the music drops out and that lone guitar part starts plucking, and then the ominous bassline, and all the goofy percussion happens. From there until the end is one of the greatest pieces of music I've heard.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 23 2010, 09:30 AM)
3OAPP all day long

the only Crim I really have a taste for is the Belew/Bruford/Fripp/Levin Trilogy (Disc/Beat/3)

the rest is largely uninspiring

If I were to revote I'd vote for 3oapp this time. I brought that in to music appreciation class once and the instructor pointed out all the different periods of music that are weaved in and out of that album. And the drumming is so experimental and so awesome imho.

My fav three are spaced evenly apart in the catalog:

In the Court of the Crimson King

Red

The Power To Believe

Most everyone who would read and write in a thread like this one would already know this info, but if you're a big fan of RED and haven't checked out POWER yet, that's the one you should be looking at next. Great recording.

Red followed closely by In The Court Of The Crimson King.

I suppose I should give the other stuff a good listen; I'm in a serious Camel kick right now. I can't stop listening to that band. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 24 2010, 07:55 AM)
I just recently started really loving Crimson (I've hated them for close to the past 10 years).  Somewhere along the line, Red (or more particularly, Starless) just really hit me hard.  What a fantastic band...I'm so excited to delve into all their material and start learning it.

Indeed. This week I was listening to the Providence show from The Great Deceiver box and this song came on and everything stopped. It is a beautiful piece of music.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 16 2007, 01:33 AM)

- Giles, Giles & Fripp's one and only album, The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp. An excellent psychedelic album with really bouncy, fun tunes. It's been compared to Syd Barret era Pink Floyd, and I certainly see why people would think so. There's two hilarious little stories weaved between the tracks which really make the album what it is. The Saga of Rodney Toady by Robert Fripp is just too much. Sometimes I have to pause the album and run to the washroom, it makes me laugh so much.

bumper.gif

Ah, good old Finbar. I hope life is treating him well.

Bumped because I dug out The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp this morning, the 2008 Esoteric remaster. Haven't played it in a couple of years.

It's a great little album. Very English, and as Finbar stated, a bit Syd, quite whimisical, and no signposts(bar the end of The Crukster) pointing to the waves of sonic armageddon Fripp was going to release upon the world.

So far, I've heard all the studio albums from ITCOTCK to Discipline. Here's how I'd currently rank them.

1. Red

2. Lizard

3. Larks' Tongues In Aspic

4. Starless and Bible Black

5. In The Court of the Crimson King

6. Discipline

7. In The Wake of Poseidon

8. Islands

I love all of them except for Islands. I've only listened to it twice but I'm still giving it a chance since I didn't particularly care for Lizard at first. Now its my 2nd favorite.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 27 2007, 10:49 AM)
Without a doubt, and one of the absolutely best albums in creation:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/lizard1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/lizard2.jpg

I guess I can understand why some people don't rate this higher. It's ridiculously complex, and therefore, perhaps a bit difficult listening, but that doesn't stop me from loving it. In fact, that's why I love it. It's SO involved and complex, but really beautiful too. Unmatched IMHO, pure genius...

Over 5 years later and my post is still true. Their very best album and one of the best albums of all time. For some reason, this simple but obvious truth continues to elude most people. confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 23 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 27 2007, 10:49 AM)
Without a doubt, and one of the absolutely best albums in creation:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/lizard1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/lizard2.jpg

I guess I can understand why some people don't rate this higher.  It's ridiculously complex, and therefore, perhaps a bit difficult listening, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.  In fact, that's why I love it.  It's SO involved and complex, but really beautiful too.  Unmatched IMHO, pure genius...

Over 5 years later and my post is still true. Their very best album and one of the best albums of all time. For some reason, this simple but obvious truth continues to elude most people. confused13.gif

We may disagree on some things but not this thing!

I only have 5 King Crimson albums (debut, In the Wake of Poseidon, Starless and Bible Black, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and Discipline). Out of these, my favorites are Larks' Tongues (which got my vote) and Discipline. In the Court of the Crimson King is by far my least favorite of the five, although I like it a lot. They are definitely one of my favorite bands.