King Crimson

Finbar

What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?

• In the Court of the Crimson King
    • In the Wake of Poseidon
    • Lizard
    • Islands
    • Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    • Starless and Bible Black
    • Red
    • Discipline
    • Beat
    • Three of a Perfect Pair
    • THRAK
    • The ConstruKction of Light
    • The Power to Believe

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2012, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 28 2012, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2012, 08:39 PM)
What the hell happened to Finbar??

confused13.gif

Haven't you heard?

No...?

unsure.gif

Me neither. But I assumed you, blessed font of all knowledge pertaining to disappearances, alien kidnapping and anal probes, would know.

Duck, I'm kinda disappointed.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 5 2012, 07:54 PM)
He's quit before. Fripp is an odd duck. Look up what Bill Bruford has to say about him. The guy tries to be enigmatic. I sympathize with his reasons, but life isn't fair.

I love the guy's music but he really comes across as an asshole; e.g. he won't allow last.fm to display pictures of the band or album covers and has a long journal entry complaining about it. The site only streams stuff with the artist's/label's permission so its not like they're stealing his music.

I like Islands. It's not a bad record. Unfortunately for the album, there are so many fantastic albums by this band. Currently, I can not get enough of Lizard.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 5 2012, 06:29 PM)
I like Islands. It's not a bad record. Unfortunately for the album, there are so many fantastic albums by this band. Currently, I can not get enough of Lizard.

Lizard 1022.gif

Does a more complex and sophisticated prog album exist? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 10:03 PM)

Lizard 1022.gif

Yes. Gentle Giant had plenty.

But Lizard is great! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 5 2012, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 10:03 PM)

Lizard 1022.gif

Yes. Gentle Giant had plenty.

But Lizard is great! 1022.gif

>Gentle Giant

YES!

but, really, lately I've been jamming 80's Crimson, and that is a first for me. I'm loving it (Beat, Discipline, and Three are GREAT) I listened to Fripp and company a metric butt ton in high school, but never got past Red. Stuck in the 70's.

It was a hard choice between Lark's Tongue and Lizard, but Lark's Tongue is just nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Also, can someone explain the hate for Islands? Call me silly, but I don't get it. I would've voted for that (or In the Wake) after Larks and/or Lizard. Forget about, In the Court of the Crimson King. Sure, it's a really raw and balls-to-the-wall prog sound, but the refinement they get ESPECIALLY on Islands is well beyond that. I am open to discussion.

Edited by WabbaJack

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 09:03 PM)

Lizard 1022.gif

Just listened to Lizard for the first time in quite a while. What a weird but cool album. wacko.gif tongue.gif

It sounds to me a bit like aliens from Neptune trying to combine early Genesis with Gil Evans/Miles Davis. tongue.gif

It's very interesting and trippy, but I don't think I'll be coming back to it very often.

Up next is Islands, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair. trink36.gif

After this, The Great Deceiver Vols 1 & 2. trink36.gif Really looking forward to these, as I think the Wetton/Bruford era is by far KC's best.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Sep 6 2012, 03:17 PM)

Lizard 1022.gif

Just listened to Lizard for the first time in quite a while. What a weird but cool album. wacko.gif tongue.gif

It sounds to me a bit like aliens from Neptune trying to combine early Genesis with Gil Evans/Miles Davis. tongue.gif

It's very interesting and trippy, but I don't think I'll be coming back to it very often.

After this, The Great Deceiver Vols 1 & 2. trink36.gif Really looking forward to these, as I think the Wetton/Bruford era is by far KC's best.

For the best of Wetton/Bruford live, just get "The Night Watch". It's got pretty much everything Great Deceiver has, but it's just one show and the performance is amazing! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 7 2012, 05:11 PM)

Lizard 1022.gif

For the best of Wetton/Bruford live, just get "The Night Watch". It's got pretty much everything Great Deceiver has, but it's just one show and the performance is amazing! biggrin.gif

I've got that one as well. smile.gif I need everything from this lineup, including USA if I can track it down.

Just finished Beat and Perfect Pair and they were okay but pretty meh...

But THRAK is pretty sweet! 1022.gif I think I may prefer it to some of their earlier stuff. I like the heavier sound and Belew's vocals seem a lot better here. Now I guess I will need to pick up Construkction and Power to Believe. 1022.gif

Lizard 1022.gif

+1

It is easily one of my top five live albums by anyone. I was so pumped when they released the CD. It stays on my desk with a few other albums for emergency KC when I need it.

In other words... Highly Recommended!

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/The%20Night%20Watch_zps0e80d721.jpg

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 18 2012, 10:06 PM)

Lizard 1022.gif

+1

It is easily one of my top five live albums by anyone. I was so pumped when they released the CD. It stays on my desk with a few other albums for emergency KC when I need it.

In other words... Highly Recommended!

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/The%20Night%20Watch_zps0e80d721.jpg

Yes, totally agree.

One of the best live pieces of all time. (official and bootlegs both)

biggrin.gif

Wow, I listened to Power to Believe a couple times this weekend and am pretty blown away! 1022.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/45/The_Power_to_Believe.jpg/220px-The_Power_to_Believe.jpg

I really like combination of the heavy riffing with the atmospheric keyboard (guitar synth?) stuff. I also like the vocoder effect, as it serves to disguise Adrian's vocals a bit. tongue.gif I really do think Power is one of their stronger efforts from any period.

If I were to rank the albums from favorite to least, I think it would currently look something like this:

Red

Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Starless and Bible Black

In the Court of the Crimson King

The Power to Believe

Lizard

In the Wake of Poseidon

Beat

Discipline

THRAK

The ConstruKction of Light

Three of a Perfect Pair

Islands

Overall, it's been a blast rediscovering KC, especially the Wetton/Bruford/Cross era. wub.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Oct 15 2012, 05:26 PM)
Wow, I listened to Power to Believe a couple times this weekend and am pretty blown away! 1022.gif 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/45/The_Power_to_Believe.jpg/220px-The_Power_to_Believe.jpg

I really like combination of the heavy riffing with the atmospheric keyboard (guitar synth?) stuff.  I also like the vocoder effect, as it serves to disguise Adrian's vocals a bit. tongue.gif  I really do think Power is one of their stronger efforts from any period. 

If I were to rank the albums from favorite to least, I think it would currently look something like this:

Red
Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Starless and Bible Black
In the Court of the Crimson King
The Power to Believe
Lizard
In the Wake of Poseidon
Beat
Discipline
THRAK
The ConstruKction of Light
Three of a Perfect Pair
Islands

Overall, it's been a blast rediscovering KC, especially the Wetton/Bruford/Cross era. wub.gif

Nice ranking 1022.gif

So far, the only 90s Crimson I've really listened to is VROOOM (had it at the used music store laugh.gif)

Great album! 1022.gif

Which would you recommend next?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 29 2012, 09:39 AM)
What the hell happened to Finbar??

confused13.gif

Bit of a theme this lately huh laugh.gif Not sure why he's vanished, but he's really missed. Damn! unsure.gif

And I need to get a huge dose of KC soon, a lot of fresh listens as well. Excellent thread for recommendations! cool10.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 16 2012, 09:42 PM)

For the later stuff? For me, Power to Believe is head-and-shoulders above THRAK and ConstruKction, but these are both still pretty good. THRAK has Bruford and the double trio lineup, but ConstruKction has some good tunes, especially Larks' Tounges Part 4. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 17 2012, 02:10 AM)
And I need to get a huge dose of KC soon, a lot of fresh listens as well. Excellent thread for recommendations! cool10.gif

Yeah, I was way overdue for a KC binge. tongue.gif I was always more of a Yes and Genesis guy, so I'm making up for lost time with KC.

Hate to admit it, but I had never even heard Red until recently. facepalm.gif And Starless may be one of the best prog songs ever, in the ballpark with Close To The Egde or Supper's Ready.

Speaking of which, what a great video. Best Bruford ever. tongue.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8v99kV1jY

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Oct 18 2012, 10:09 AM)
Yeah, I was way overdue for a KC binge. tongue.gif  I was always more of a Yes and Genesis guy, so I'm making up for lost time with KC.

Right. I just wanna keep persevering with them. It's never really been my cuppa joe so far from what I've sampled, but it's time to re-evaluate and hopefully find some goodness. This thread is a good help and why I love TRF for assistance, it's never taken for granted trink38.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Oct 17 2012, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 17 2012, 02:10 AM)
And I need to get a huge dose of KC soon, a lot of fresh listens as well.  Excellent thread for recommendations! cool10.gif

Yeah, I was way overdue for a KC binge. tongue.gif I was always more of a Yes and Genesis guy, so I'm making up for lost time with KC.

Hate to admit it, but I had never even heard Red until recently. facepalm.gif And Starless may be one of the best prog songs ever, in the ballpark with Close To The Egde or Supper's Ready.

Speaking of which, what a great video. Best Bruford ever. tongue.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8v99kV1jY

goodpost.gif Great video new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Oct 17 2012, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 16 2012, 09:42 PM)

For the later stuff? For me, Power to Believe is head-and-shoulders above THRAK and ConstruKction, but these are both still pretty good. THRAK has Bruford and the double trio lineup, but ConstruKction has some good tunes, especially Larks' Tounges Part 4. 1022.gif

Cool I'll probably get Power to Believe next trink39.gif

A couple weeks later, and I'm still really digging Power to Believe. :haz: It's even cooler for me after realizing that most of the trippy "synth" stuff on the album is probably coming from Fripp and his rack of effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giKVNoTDvOE

EDIT: Link not working? YouTube KC Live In Japan (TPTB tour).

I also can't stop listening to Red and the rest of the Wetton-era, studio and live. :wub: