King Crimson

Finbar

What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?

• In the Court of the Crimson King
    • In the Wake of Poseidon
    • Lizard
    • Islands
    • Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    • Starless and Bible Black
    • Red
    • Discipline
    • Beat
    • Three of a Perfect Pair
    • THRAK
    • The ConstruKction of Light
    • The Power to Believe

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 29 2007, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 29 2007, 01:14 AM)
"When King Crimson wants to rock, they know how to do it."

I love the part in "Fracture" around 7:40 into it - the crunching guitar just jolts you, then the bass and drums kicking it. Wow. The barely audible "wooh" at around 8:26. Brilliant stuff.

I showed Starless and Bible Black to my buddy Sam (read earlier, the one man alive I can share King Crimson with, a very open-minded individual) and when Fracture came on, I requested we close our eyes and cease conversation. He obliged. When it was done, he said, "Holy shit. That was magnificent, my friend."

That is rock that needs to be paid attention to, right there. No votes for Starless and Bible Black here! But the other two John Wetton era albums got votes-a-plenty. Say what you will about those albums, neither of them are armed with Fracture, the mammoth instrumental epic that will claw your eyes out and feed them to you just 'cause it's that tough. 1022.gif

I listened to it yesterday. I totally agree.

Trio is the definitive masterpiece of all improvised music. Period.

Goobs, you should play all of side two of Lizard, the title track.

I would TOTALLY tune in if you did that. wink.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 31 2007, 04:42 PM)
Goobs, you should play all of side two of Lizard, the title track.
I would TOTALLY tune in if you did that. wink.gif

Well that's not gonna happen, at least not on tomorrow's show.

That's the only way I could get you to tune in? sad.gif

You know, you might actually LIKE my show if you gave it a chance... wink.gif

You have sway, right?

- Get the silly admins to change my member title thingy from "(IMHO) Finbar" to "Finbar Rocks."

- Play some King Crimson with Adrian Belew. Anything 80's or onward.

Then I'll listen. wink.gif

Edited by Finbar

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 31 2007, 05:18 PM)
You have sway, right?

- Get the silly admins to change my member title thingy from "(IMHO) Finbar" to "Finbar Rocks."

Yeah, the admins are gonna do something just because I ask them to, right? rofl3.gif

Here's the deal with me and requests for the show. I'll play requests:

1. If I have the song on cd.

2. If you request it at least 3 or 4 days before the show and I finalize my playlist.

3. If I know you're definitely gonna be listening. tongue.gif

So if you have a request for next week's show, PM me and I'll play it if it meets those requirements. FYI, I have all the early KC studio albums on CD, but nothing beyond the mid-70's...

Seriously though Finbar, I think you'd dig the show regardless, but it's up to you man. trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 31 2007, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 31 2007, 05:18 PM)
You have sway, right?

Yeah, the admins are gonna do something just because I ask them to, right? rofl3.gif

Here's the deal with me and requests for the show. I'll play requests:

1. If I have the song on cd.

2. If you request it at least 3 or 4 days before the show and I finalize my playlist.

3. If I know you're definitely gonna be listening. tongue.gif

So if you have a request for next week's show, PM me and I'll play it if it meets those requirements. FYI, I have all the early KC studio albums on CD, but nothing beyond the mid-70's...

Seriously though Finbar, I think you'd dig the show regardless, but it's up to you man. trink39.gif

Sorry, I thought of one other corollary:

4. I won't play anything off of Vapor Trails, and I won't play certain songs off of RTB, T4E or Presto. Have to maintain some semblance of quality control... ph34r.gif

No Adrian Belew King Crimson? You're breaking my balls Goobs. My balls, you're breaking 'em.

tongue.gif I'll tune in some time. Can you play Cadence and Cascade?

I voted for Starless and Bible Black.

I was introduced to KC with The Court, which is still a masterpiece. For many years Red was my favourite album, but lately I've moved to Starless. It has more variety, more moods, very different songs. And side 2 is a killer. Devastating music. Oh how I love Fracture!!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 31 2007, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 31 2007, 05:51 PM)
No Adrian Belew King Crimson? You're breaking my balls Goobs. My balls, you're breaking 'em.

tongue.gif I'll tune in some time. Can you play Cadence and Cascade?

I'll play it next week if I know you're listening. tongue.gif

How/when?

ItCotCK for me. Shame that the original lineup splintered. Greg Lake then joined ELP. Ian McDonald went to Foreigner. The rest of the KC catalog was too odd for me. Boz Burrell was in KC for a year then quit to join Bad Company.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Jan 28 2007, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 27 2007, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Jan 27 2007, 02:52 PM)
Red is my favorite album by them, even though In the Court introduced them to me (I still remember the day when I first heard "21st Century Schizoid Man"). In the Court, In The Wake and Lizard are also wicked.

Out of all the KC albums ive heard, the only one I didnt exactly enjoy was Islands (even though Ladies of the road is a good song).

I havnt heard much of there stuff with Adrian, only Elephant Talk and Sleepless (which I both love).

Definitely getting some KC on CD when I go away.

I agree, of all the early studio KC albums, Islands is by FAR the weakest. How they went from Lizard to Islands is a marvel.

Its most likely Boz. his singing is iffy, and Fripp taught him how to play bass becasue they would have been short a bassist.

Actually, I feel like listening to some Crimson right now!

I listened to Islands pretty extensively a couple of days ago and have managed to evaluate it newly.

First off, my intention was to play something off Islands for my radio show in honor of the death of drummer Ian Wallace.

I must say that I was really hard pressed to find a track to use, and I ended up using Ladies of the Road. Really though, lyrically I think that track is kind of unpleasantly vulgar, though I do like the Beatles harmonies in the refrain. All in all, I was extremely hard pressed to find a song I truly liked on this album. The songs that are ok go on too long, and the ones that don't are lyrically pretty poor.

I still maintain my original assessment, that how they went from the brilliant perfection of Lizard to Islands is a marvel. An extremely sub-par album from the early Crimson. Sorry!

In addition to Rush, I love Marillion, Pink Floyd, The Who, Juluka, Supertramp, Genesis (okay, mostly Duke), The Alan Parsons Project, and I'm just getting into Porcupine Tree. I'm not a big fan of bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, or The Mars Volta.

Regarding King Crimson: where should I start?

Edited by Kudzu

Start off with the debut - In the Court of the Crimson King.

Then listen to Red.

Then listen to Discipline.

Finally, listen to The Power to Believe.

Listening to those four albums will give you a pretty good idea of Crimson's different line-ups and evolution and you should get a pretty good grasp of what you like personally and you can go from there.

My favorite era is the John Wetton era. For my money you can't beat Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red.

But you may prefer the 80's Crimson and go with Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair.

Or, you may take a liking to early Crimson and explore In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon.

Or, the "transitional" Crimson may be your fancy - Lizard and Islands.

And let's not forget the "double trio" Crimson - VROOOM, THRAK and THRaKaTTaK.

And last but not least, you may like the current 21st Century Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe.

Or, you may like it all.

Note I did not include all the live albums, singles, EPS, and The King Crimson Collector's Club stuff.

Exploring Crimson at first can seem quite daunting, but as time and effort will tell, quite satisfying.

Remember, King Crimson is a way of doing things. Enjoy.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 3 2007, 02:35 AM)
Start off with the debut - In the Court of the Crimson King.

Then listen to Red.

Then listen to Discipline.

Finally, listen to The Power to Believe.

Listening to those four albums will give you a pretty good idea of Crimson's different line-ups and evolution and you should get a pretty good grasp of what you like personally and you can go from there.

My favorite era is the John Wetton era. For my money you can't beat Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red.

But you may prefer the 80's Crimson and go with Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair.

Or, you may take a liking to early Crimson and explore In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon.

Or, the "transitional" Crimson may be your fancy - Lizard and Islands.

And let's not forget the "double trio" Crimson - VROOOM, THRAK and THRaKaTTaK.

And last but not least, you may like the current 21st Century Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe.

Or, you may like it all.

Note I did not include all the live albums, singles, EPS, and The King Crimson Collector's Club stuff.

Exploring Crimson at first can seem quite daunting, but as time and effort will tell, quite satisfying.

Remember, King Crimson is a way of doing things. Enjoy.

You did include live albums and EP's. VROOOM is an EP and THRaKaTTaK is a live album.

Kudzu, as you can see, this poll favours Red by far. But that's because it's the most well-loved by fans. I suggest you either start things off with In the Court of the Crimson King, Starless and Bible Black or Discipline. The former is their first album, a good place to start, an undisputed great rock album, and arguably the only "true" King Crimson album because it's the only one recorded by the original lineup. (Real Crimheads don't see it this way.) The latter two are the two that my girlfriend showed me when she introduced me to King Crimson, and they hooked me pretty good. Whichever King Crimson album you end up with, listen to it loud and in full, and give it a chance. Give it more than one full proper listen to grow on you if it doesn't immediately grab you.

And, in the end, if you hate the one album you start with, you may love another.