King Crimson

Finbar

What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite King Crimson studio album?

• In the Court of the Crimson King
    • In the Wake of Poseidon
    • Lizard
    • Islands
    • Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    • Starless and Bible Black
    • Red
    • Discipline
    • Beat
    • Three of a Perfect Pair
    • THRAK
    • The ConstruKction of Light
    • The Power to Believe

Got Beat last week. It's the lowest rated on PA of the KC studio album and is infamous for being bland and a copy of Discipline (like Wake of Poseidon)

I completely disagree :D I haven listened to it at least 6 or 7 times all the way through, and I've played Heartbeat and Neal and Jack and Me over and over :haz:

It's so different from the 90s Crimson and especially the 70s Crimson, but I totally love it :yes:

It's short, too... very easy to listen to :haz: :haz:

I just got the 40th anniversary version of Larks' Tongues In Aspic. It's a massive 16 disc set with a ton of live material leading up the original version of the album and the 30th and 40th anniversary mixes. Lots of outtakes and alternate versions too. Great sound, great extras, great packaging. It is not for everyone, but perhaps Fripp has finally gotten the best out of this and some of the others now... unless he's still around to do 50th anniversary versions later.

I just got the 40th anniversary version of Larks' Tongues In Aspic. It's a massive 16 disc set with a ton of live material leading up the original version of the album and the 30th and 40th anniversary mixes. Lots of outtakes and alternate versions too. Great sound, great extras, great packaging. It is not for everyone, but perhaps Fripp has finally gotten the best out of this and some of the others now... unless he's still around to do 50th anniversary versions later.

Sweet :D

How's the Beat Club video?

Listened to a 71 show today. The encore was a blues version of Court. The set was pretty good, but I never got into Boz's voice live. Fripp's guitar sounded so raw. I have also been digging through my old 73-74 output. The Amsterdam and Providence shows are fantastic.

Surprisingly good. It was either archived well or a lot of restoration was done. I'm hoping to find some time to get through the whole thing.

Surprisingly good. It was either archived well or a lot of restoration was done. I'm hoping to find some time to get through the whole thing.

Sweet :D I'm asking for the CD+DVD version for Christmas :haz:

I've only listened to Court but heard Red was good. After reading this thread i guess ill have to check it out!

I've only listened to Court but heard Red was good. After reading this thread i guess ill have to check it out!

any of their 70s stuff besides islands is awesome

The TT and Gulls are exquisite pieces. There's no way I could diss Islands because of that :huh:

islands isnt bad at all, it's just kind of average, especially when compared to their other 70s work

average might be all well and fine normally, but when you consider that everything else of theirs from 1969-1974 is mostly brilliant, "average" comes across as pretty bad.

islands isnt bad at all, it's just kind of average, especially when compared to their other 70s work

The rest of the album I couldn't really care for aside from those two tracks anyway, they jump out like fcuk. It's almost bizarre to totally slam it though, at least for the production alone.