Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I might be alone here but I'm thinking Awake might be their best album overall, even though I still think their best song is Metropolis.

This new one is good but it's going to take some repeated listens to really let it sink in an appreciate more.

As an aside, can you think of another band that puts out a new album that's closely followed up by a DVD / video for the tour from the previous album?

So, mediocre drum mixing or not, great album.

Just imagine what it'd be like with a great snare sound!

I have to be honest...the snare sound on this alhum does not bother me at all. Some people go as far as comparing it to Lars Ulrich's snare on St. Anger, which I think is a bit extreme.

Comparing the snare sound to Lars Ulrich's snare on St. Anger is kinda over exaggerating. If anything, it almost sounds like the Images and Words drum trigger without the reverb...which for me, while it's not the best sounding snare, it's bearable.

The posts are starting to come in around the web about how Illumination Theory is the best epic since 1995.

WHAAAAAT? It's a good song, for sure but what the hell it can't hold Octivarium's jock IMO.

• Like 1

Just listened to it in one sitting. First impressions, it's a solid slightly more commercial than usual offering that if marketed correctly could put them in the big league.

Well done DT, I like it!

Edited by Tony R

This is a blooper reel with JP and JL. Its hilarious watching James keep laughing like he's stoned.

• Like 1

The posts are starting to come in around the web about how Illumination Theory is the best epic since 1995.

WHAAAAAT? It's a good song, for sure but what the hell it can't hold Octivarium's jock IMO.

I think Illumination Theory is THAT strong. Right on par with Octavarium and A Change of Seasons for me, with a slight advantage of Illumination over Octavarium because the "overture" of Octavarium takes too long until the song starts.

Jordan has said in recent interviews that he "forgot how great Octavarium is", which may be an indication that they will ressurect it for the new tour. They´ll go back to the Evening With format, so that´s a perfect chance to include more epics on the set.

I think this new album is on the level of Images and Words. Yes, i believe is that good. Illumination Theory is my new favorite Dream Theater song, and for the guy who says this album is more commercial than than usual: good joke buddy. Try putting any of those songs in the radio right now.

This is a blooper reel with JP and JL. Its hilarious watching James keep laughing like he's stoned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP6pmJdQZ0&feature=youtu.be

On the images and words tour those cats were pretty conservative, just into drinkin beers. Nice to see Labrie GO GREEN in his later years...

I don´t think he meant commercial in the Nicky Minaj/Bruno Mars sense...it´s just that the songs are a bit more accessible this time. The durations speak for themselves - MUCH shorter songs this time around.

I dont think the length has much to do on how commercial a song is. I mean, Getle Giant almost never went over 7 minutes, an their songs are incredibly complex. And as for Dream Theater now, i believe they are at their most complex a this moment.

I think this new album is on the level of Images and Words. Yes, i believe is that good. Illumination Theory is my new favorite Dream Theater song, and for the guy who says this album is more commercial than than usual: good joke buddy. Try putting any of those songs in the radio right now.

You still picking your feet in Poughkeepsie?

What is Poughkeepsie?

What is Poughkeepsie?

:huh:

Poughkeepsie

"city,seat of Dutchess county, eastern New York, U.S. It lies on the east bank of the Hudson River (there bridged to Highland), 75 miles (121 km) north of New York City. It was settled by the Dutch in 1683; its name, of Wappinger Indian origin, means "reed-covered lodge by the little water place." Poughkeepsie served as the temporary state capital, and the U.S. Constitution was ratified there in 1788. Its importance as a river grain port declined after completion of the Erie Canal in 1825, and the city became a manufacturing and commercial centre. The Smith Brothers (William and Andrew, the nationally advertised bearded "Trade" and "Mark") made their first cough drops about 1850 in Poughkeepsie. Industry now includes computer assembly and research, printing and lithography, and the production of swimming pool equipment, electronic devices, chemicals, and ball bearings".

What is Poughkeepsie?

:huh:

Poughkeepsie

"city,seat of Dutchess county, eastern New York, U.S. It lies on the east bank of the Hudson River (there bridged to Highland), 75 miles (121 km) north of New York City. It was settled by the Dutch in 1683; its name, of Wappinger Indian origin, means "reed-covered lodge by the little water place." Poughkeepsie served as the temporary state capital, and the U.S. Constitution was ratified there in 1788. Its importance as a river grain port declined after completion of the Erie Canal in 1825, and the city became a manufacturing and commercial centre. The Smith Brothers (William and Andrew, the nationally advertised bearded "Trade" and "Mark") made their first cough drops about 1850 in Poughkeepsie. Industry now includes computer assembly and research, printing and lithography, and the production of swimming pool equipment, electronic devices, chemicals, and ball bearings".

I still dont get it.

Tony's claiming the music is more commercial relative to past DT works... And yes, given to the right stations I'm sure they'd be willing play many of these songs.

Anyways, this hasn't been brought up here yet, but is "The Looking Glass" DT's most Rush song or what? Everyone on soundcloud is going crazy comparing it to them. I can definitely hear it myself, sounds like it could be a MP/Signals song to me.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

By the way, I also think "The Enemy Within" (edit: oops. The Enemy Inside I mean...) is funnily enough the weakeast song on the album. I'm being forthright here too, it sounds like it belongs on Systematic Chaos somewhere. It doesn't really having much going for it other than a great solo section (that is, until JP overdoes kills it with the wahwah). It's not bad or unlistenable, just a poor song to represent the album with I'd say. Edited by Mr. IsNot

People probably like it more because the first four minutes of Illumination Theory doesn't lull you to sleep like the first four minutes of Octivarium does. That, and it's a better song anyways. I don't think it's their best epic since A Change Of Seasons though. Illumination Theory sure as hell isn't better than 6 Degrees and as of now I don't like it better than In The Presence Of Enemies either. Illumination is a great tune though, an instant classic.

I do agree that this album is more accessible then they've been in a long time. If you can't picture songs like The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture and Along For The Ride getting played on the radio then i'm not sure what you're listening to? Especially The Looking Glass which is one of the catchiest and most accessible songs Dream Theater has ever recorded. It also helps that the song sounds so much like Rush musically.

After about 10 listens, i'm loving the new album.

What is Poughkeepsie?

There's a French connection...

What is Poughkeepsie?

It's a place in upstate New York that obviously means something to the character Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle as portrayed by screen legend Eugene Allen "Gene" Hackman, the hardest man ever in Hollywood, in the 1971 police thriller The French Connection. we never really find out just who the feet picker was either.

:hail:

What is Poughkeepsie?

It's a place in upstate New York that obviously means something to the character Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle as portrayed by screen legend Eugene Allen "Gene" Hackman, the hardest man ever in Hollywood, in the 1971 police thriller The French Connection. we never really find out just who the feet picker was either.

:hail:

I'm pretty sure that the "foot-picker in Poughkeepsie" is someone who takes it up the shitter in jail.