Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

"In late July, Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory was listed as the number one all-time progressive album by Rolling Stone, beating Rush's 2112 and Close to the Edge by Yes."

I just found this out. Awesomely justified!

That poll, was it strictly a readers poll, or did the editors of RS have a say in it?

Trailer for Luna Park:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/gABECAxp58w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I´ve already mentioned this on another DT thread here on TRF, but this DVD trailer gives me the chills!!! I´ve never seen anything this crisp...I can´t wait for this to come out.

I just remembered a video of Lost Not Forgotten I was on youtube where, after the crazy keyboard/guitar/drums unison at the beginning, some guy in the audience says "dude...what just happened???" - my exact feelings when i saw this played live.

Defiantly will pick that up, hope they will have a special edition that includes the audio as well, for the old CD player..

On a side note... It's almost been 2 YEARS since aDToE was released.!!!

For those of you who (like me) didn´t like the image quality of the Chaos in Motion DVD, I just found a full show off that tour, with much better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2pJzx0InHU

It´s not my favourite DT album or tour, but still great to listen to. They dug out Misunderstood, Blind Faith, Scarred and other underrated songs for this tour, which was great.

Here's some sort of new news regarding Live at Luna Park...

http://www.metalhamm...nteractive-app/

The app looks cool but damn does that sound BAD!

Why do you think it sounds so bad?

The app looks really cool...maybe there´s a button in it that you can press and Mike Portnoy shows up on drums?? :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :NP: :NP: :NP:

The app looks really cool...maybe there´s a button in it that you can press and Mike Portnoy shows up on drums?? :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :NP: :NP: :NP:

the entire sound is off.. it was cringe worthy.

I wonder what´s taking them so long to release this DVD...the new studio album is almost ready as well. Will they have two releases in less than 6 months?

I hope so!

I wonder what´s taking them so long to release this DVD...the new studio album is almost ready as well. Will they have two releases in less than 6 months?

I hope so!

Don´t get me wrong, I´ll definitely buy the Luna Park DVD and the new album, but it may not be the best marketing strategy I´ve seen...

I hope so!

Don´t get me wrong, I´ll definitely buy the Luna Park DVD and the new album, but it may not be the best marketing strategy I´ve seen...

The fact that we don't even have links for pre-orders nor an actual, set release date for the Luna Park DVD other than "sometime for May", when it's already the second week of April is pretty scary. What's their next marketing strategy? They announce the new album, but won't give out any new info until a day before its release?

Edited by PolarizeMe

I hope so!

The fact that we don't even have links for pre-orders nor an actual, set release date for the Luna Park DVD other than "sometime for May", when it's already the second week of April is pretty scary. What's their next marketing strategy? They announce the new album, but won't give out any new info until a day before its release?

There's 2 ways to look at this:

#1 (Positively) Maybe they're having problems with the new technology?

#2 (Negatively) Maybe they're having trouble with James' vocals?

James sounded pretty good until he overextended the "GOOOoooooOOOOoooOOOOoo!!!!!!" for the chorus. I don't know why he does that. He had it. If he had kept it shorter it would've sounded really good.

James sounded pretty good until he overextended the "GOOOoooooOOOOoooOOOOoo!!!!!!" for the chorus. I don't know why he does that. He had it. If he had kept it shorter it would've sounded really good.

I see what you mean...most the time James´ voice is ok, but he makes a bad choice sometimes and overextends a few of the words. I don´t mind it, but it drives the James-haters nuts.

J2112YYZ, what are your thoughts on the album?

It gets better at every listen for me...I posted on another thread that it´s on par with Awake, Images & Words and Six Degrees, but now I think it´s surpassed 6DOIT. It´s so varied, fresh and with a cool vibe! And hey, we can hear John Myung at last, and he´s kicking a$$ like there´s no tomorrow!

J2112YYZ, what are your thoughts on the album?

It gets better at every listen for me...I posted on another thread that it´s on par with Awake, Images & Words and Six Degrees, but now I think it´s surpassed 6DOIT. It´s so varied, fresh and with a cool vibe! And hey, we can hear John Myung at last, and he´s kicking a$$ like there´s no tomorrow!

I like the new album a lot but it's too soon to say it's up there with Images & Words, Awake and 6 Degrees. That's giving the album too much praise. Saying it's their best since 6 Degrees is a good place to start with it. I think Images & Words, Awake, Scenes From A Memory and 6 Degrees are the four untouchable albums in their catalog. Only time will tell, but I don't see myself rating the new album that high.

If they go back to the 'evening with' concert format I can see them having enough time to play all 9 new songs at each show. It sounds to me like all the new songs should be doable live but i'm not a musician so there could be some complicated parts they may not be able to pull off live. I have more thoughts on the new album but I want to hear it some more before I say anything else. I'll give it an 8 out of 10 right now.

Only given it one listen so far. Like with ADToE, no MP backing vocals is a blessing.

JP said that he thought this was their strongest work to date, I'd probably agree... I can't say where I think this album stands in being among their best work, but I can say that it is fantastic and enjoyable. Better than ADToE, and I loved that album for the most part.

Mp2 will remain their Magnum Opus unless they ever approach a concept album again and mannage to do it as well as they once did, which I'm sorry but I doubt.

So, mediocre drum mixing or not, great album.