prog.fusion 28

deadwing2112 25

jesse2112 25

Disco 25

Show Don't Tell 24

nappy2112 24

progrush2112 22

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 27 2012, 05:36 AM)
I recently updated a bio on Progarchives about the band Headspace by adding an MP3, "Stalled Armegeddon"

The album "I Am Anonymous" features Rick Wakeman's son Adam and would probably appeal to fans of Queensryche/Dream Theater.

Click this link to hear the track

Worth a listen.

Thanks for the link, I'm listening to it right now.

Let's not forget the commentary for Live in Tokyo where Portnoy makes numerous cracks at how awful JLB's screams supposedly were back in those days. Throw in all of the other comments Portnoy made about JLB over the years, and it's no wonder why JLB is so happy now and more relaxed; it is always easier to work when a co-worker who frequently criticized you is no longer there. Edited by The K Man

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 28 2012, 10:57 AM)
A couple of weeks ago someone asked Portnoy on Twitter which bassists he enjoyed working with the most. He named every bassist he's worked with except for Myung.

Ooooo that's got to sting...

sad.gif

Odds are, Myung, if he even heard about that, which is unlikely, wouldn't give a crap. He worked with Portnoy long enough to know what a petty and immature guy he is, so he'd chalk that up as being par for the course for him. Remember that Portnoy is a guy who 15 years later was still so bitter at Kevin Moore than he took a shot at him in the foreword of the DT Lifting Shadows book.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 28 2012, 03:24 PM)
Remember that Portnoy is a guy who 15 years later was still so bitter at Kevin Moore than he took a shot at him in the foreword of the DT Lifting Shadows book.

I still don't really understand what Portnoy's problem with Moore is.

It's not so much that Moore ignores Dream Theater as he simply lost interest in their kind of "busy" kind of music, and doesn't feel the need to get all nostalgic about it by talking about or playing any of that stuff anymore. Plus, Moore doesn't do that many interviews or live shows, him being the introvert that he is, so it is not like he is all over the place with shows and in the public eye and simply refusing to talk about a band he left 18 damn years ago.

And Portnoy, being someone who is a control freak and doesn't like being told no, probably got pissed when Moore repeatedly told him no - since Portnoy was used to always getting his way - and that explains why he came off as bitter towards him.

Edited by The K Man

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 28 2012, 11:22 AM)
A couple of weeks ago someone asked Portnoy on Twitter which bassists he enjoyed working with the most. He named every bassist he's worked with except for Myung.

sad.gif

Not as worse as the interview where he brought up the fact that one of the band members listened to his iPod instead of socializing with others during some end of tour dinner at the end of the BC&SL tour. I'm pretty sure he was taking a jab at John Myung there as well cause I can't picture the other guys in DT except Myung who would do that.

How about his comment on the Systematc Chaos DVD: "when we started the band, we always joked about Yes, who had separate rooms and backstage areas for each member of the band, and look at what we have become...each of us have our own dressing room, our own rehearsal room" etc. etc...like I said about a bunch of other stuff, it seemed like a joke at the time, but looking back, it was obvious that something was wrong. I miss songs like Only A Matter of Time, Take the Time or pretty much all of Scenes from a Memory where all members chimed in with their contribution and/or seemed much more like a unit with that "us against the world" feeling. The starting lyrics of TAke the Time, for example, were a result of the five of them brainstorming, each one coming up with the next line: "Hold it now...wait a minute...come on...whew...just let me catch my breath", and so on.

I listened to In the Presence of Enemies from the Chaos in Motion cd yesterday and was shocked at how quickly 25 minutes went by.

I know that Portnoy can be a whiny-pants and it was probably an intentional dig, but Myung could be difficult to play with in a live situation because his sound does not cut through. He is a fantastic bass player with some incredibly well-crafted lines, but he does not stick to tape as well as some of the others in his genre. Sometimes, it seems as though his speakers are underwater.

Also, maybe Portnoy considered it a given that 20 years or so of playing together was not even worth a mention.

Or, maybe Portnoy was being a dick. I like to give benefit to the doubt.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 29 2012, 06:56 AM)
I listened to In the Presence of Enemies from the Chaos in Motion cd yesterday and was shocked at how quickly 25 minutes went by.

I really wish they wouldn't have split it up into 2 separate songs that bookend the album. It should be played as a single piece all the time.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 29 2012, 07:00 AM)

I know that Portnoy can be a whiny-pants and it was probably an intentional dig, but Myung could be difficult to play with in a live situation because his sound does not cut through. He is a fantastic bass player with some incredibly well-crafted lines, but he does not stick to tape as well as some of the others in his genre. Sometimes, it seems as though his speakers are underwater.

Also, maybe Portnoy considered it a given that 20 years or so of playing together was not even worth a mention.

Or, maybe Portnoy was being a dick. I like to give benefit to the doubt.

I think he was being a dick, unfortunately.

That previous comment he made about JM's insight "it's too complex" - "but we have 5 hours!" made my laugh though hahaha. Good one, Mr. Portnoy laugh.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 30 2012, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 29 2012, 06:56 AM)

I really wish they wouldn't have split it up into 2 separate songs that bookend the album. It should be played as a single piece all the time.

If you have it on an ipod like me, you can change the track order and listen to them together like i've done for the last five years. Awesome song 1022.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 28 2012, 05:37 PM)

sad.gif

Not as worse as the interview where he brought up the fact that one of the band members listened to his iPod instead of socializing with others during some end of tour dinner at the end of the BC&SL tour. I'm pretty sure he was taking a jab at John Myung there as well cause I can't picture the other guys in DT except Myung who would do that.

Is that right? Geez, leave the guy alone. I guess MP just got sick of the guys after all the years. Well, JLB and JM anyway, as it is apparent. JR and JP have always seemed pretty okay in their relations with Mike as far as I know. Then again, JP is an uber-relaxed guy, as is JR it would seem. I dunno...

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 30 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jul 28 2012, 05:37 PM)

sad.gif

Is that right? Geez, leave the guy alone. I guess MP just got sick of the guys after all the years. Well, JLB and JM anyway, as it is apparent. JR and JP have always seemed pretty okay in their relations with Mike as far as I know. Then again, JP is an uber-relaxed guy, as is JR it would seem. I dunno...

I haven't heard him say anything negative about Rudess. He seems like the only guy in the band that he still likes.

Portnoy has said many times JR and JP are the only ones he talks to. JM lives down the street from him and they don't speak , i don't think JLB ever liked Mike, he Had to deal with him