Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Did anyone notice the King Crimson throwback from Larks Tongues pt 2? I don't know the new song titles well enough yet to say which track it son but I was curious if anybody noticed it? I apologize if this was brought up before...

The track name is Along for the Ride. I didn´t know it was a reference to KC until very recently! Jordan used the same keyboard sound on Beneath the Surface from A Dramatic Turn of Events, and I´ve been referring to this sound as the "peruvian street band flute" sound.

One thing some people have flagged is that the solo starts slightly delayed on Along for the Ride. It doesn´t bother me, but it´s quite noticeable.

Look what I stumbled upon! A bootleg video of Mike Mangini's drum solo off of the theatrical release of Live at Luna Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwoJizr1ADA

Wouldn´t it be awesome if he managed to use one of these "funky", syncopated drum fills on one of th new songs?

• Like 2

Did anyone notice the King Crimson throwback from Larks Tongues pt 2? I don't know the new song titles well enough yet to say which track it son but I was curious if anybody noticed it? I apologize if this was brought up before...

The track name is Along for the Ride. I didn´t know it was a reference to KC until very recently! Jordan used the same keyboard sound on Beneath the Surface from A Dramatic Turn of Events, and I´ve been referring to this sound as the "peruvian street band flute" sound.

One thing some people have flagged is that the solo starts slightly delayed on Along for the Ride. It doesn´t bother me, but it´s quite noticeable.

the King Crimson reference I'm referring to is between the rhythm section in the guitar n the keyboards but let me check to see if it might be the same thing you're talking about. I'll listen to aftr now.

Look what I stumbled upon! A bootleg video of Mike Mangini's drum solo off of the theatrical release of Live at Luna Park.

Wouldn´t it be awesome if he managed to use one of these "funky", syncopated drum fills on one of th new songs?

Those 1-handed snare rolls get me everytime. How is that even possible? He did something similar on another solo I saw from him awhile ago where he read a friggin magazine while rolling on the snare and wiped his brow too. Hahaha, at least he has a sense of humor that doesn't include Rock Juice.

the King Crimson reference I'm referring to is between the rhythm section in the guitar n the keyboards but let me check to see if it might be the same thing you're talking about. I'll listen to aftr now.

So are we talking about the same thing or not??!?! Now that you explained it further, I don´t think so... :huh: :huh:

• Like 1

You know what? I thought Mangini's drum solo could've been the drum track for an instrumental on a Dream Theater album.

• Like 2

12 minutes 30 seconds into illumination theory there's a riff like on larks tongues part 2. In addition they borrowed some Kerry Livgren Magnum Opus as performed by kansas on enigma machine. There's no way J.P. can deny some strong Kansas influences on this new one imho.

Twas done in good taste and developed on, so I respect their tributes to these great bands wholeheartedly!

So are we talking about the same thing or not??!?! Now that you explained it further, I don´t think so... :huh: :huh:

I listened to that one and saw is as subtlely similar but not so much as the ine on illumination theory.

I freaking love the new album now.

Can't stop listening to it.

• Like 1

I think I like this version of Illumination Theory more.

http://youtu.be/RdZBjizgrSU

By the way, does that ambient section remind anyone else of Close the Edge? I've noticed that in this album they have been giving more nods to their prog rock influences in their own songs than before. And 11:12 reminds me of ELP so much. But hey, maybe these influences are found all over DT's work and I've only been paying attention to them in this album as it's the newest.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

ADToE was pretty good but let's face it this new album completely destroys it.

I listen to it all the time now, maybe it IS up there with the classics after all :)

There's nary a "Build me up, Break me down" to be found here. No no.

• Like 1

I listen to it all the time now, maybe it IS up there with the classics after all :)

I find it strange that some people liked ADTOE but didn´t like their new album. A friend of mine said that "The Bigger Picture and Behind the Veil are essencially the same song". How is that possible??? :huh: :facepalm:

For me, even the ballad here is a better song than both ballads on ADTOE, and overall it´s a much stronger effort than the previous one. The only down side is Mangini´s snare sound, but I can easily leave that behind.

I find it strange that some people liked ADTOE but didn´t like their new album. A friend of mine said that "The Bigger Picture and Behind the Veil are essencially the same song". How is that possible??? :huh: :facepalm:

For me, even the ballad here is a better song than both ballads on ADTOE, and overall it´s a much stronger effort than the previous one. The only down side is Mangini´s snare sound, but I can easily leave that behind.

They are certainly revitalised, it was about time as well. Love Mangini's contribution on this album, snare sound a non-issue for me.

Edited by Steevo

At long last we have an official video from Live at Luna Park!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27uaIb_D2Q&feature=youtu.be

I really like this video what a great production! I really like the new album more, like sfom, as time "grows" on...

• Like 2

Is it just me or does it seem like this is probably James' 2nd or 3rd best performance of this song (Live in Tokyo and Live at the Marquee would be the other two that are on this level)? My jaw dropped when James started singing cause it almost screams out I&W and Awake era vocals.
  • Like 1

Is it just me or does it seem like this is probably James' 2nd or 3rd best performance of this song (Live in Tokyo and Live at the Marquee would be the other two that are on this level)? My jaw dropped when James started singing cause it almost screams out I&W and Awake era vocals.

I know...he´s ON FIRE lately, and he seems to have his old voice back again!! :haz: :haz:

I might be nitpicky about this, but I thought that the crowd was a bit less loud and jumpy than the band hyped up about. IDK, maybe I'm used to hearing the crowd level as loud as they were in Rush in Rio and Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio cause it's South America we're talking about, but that doesn't mean that the DVD's not going to be great cause judging by that one video, it looks fantastic! I shouldn't be complaining about how the audience is really, but I just found that a bit unusual.

Jordan said about the Pull Me Under performance "I will tell you that they literally were trying to rush the stage in Buenos Aires when we played it. It was nuts!" Wasn't that crazy as Jordan said they were, but the crowd on Live at Luna Park were more lively than most concert DVDs I've seen that were shot outside of South America.

Edit: On second thought, maybe the reason why they're not jumping as much as I thought they would is that the ground floor's got seating? Perhaps, but hey maybe most of the audience were at awe at DT's presence? :huh: (I know would when I see them for the first time hopefully next year)

Edited by PolarizeMe

As a South American, I have to agree with you, PolarizeMe. But I have been to tons of concerts in Rio, and the DT crowd is one of the mildest ones I´ve seen. We jump and sing a lot, of course, but when it´s DT we want to see them shred, follow the unisons, the crazy drum fills and whatnot, so we tend to pay more attention than on the average show.

All that said, check out 06:00 from the show in Rio last year - the crowd goes nuts!!!

It's pretty awesome! I'm really hoping his vocals for LaLP are like they were on Score because he was on fire that whole concert.

The thing with Score is that A LOT of his vocals were retouched...

Well if that's true (and I don't doubt you) then that is 100% why this DVD took so long to come out because that performance of Pull me Under is LEAPS and BOUNDS better than any other live video I've ever heard from James this whole tour. It can't be a coincidence.

But honestly, after hearing this song above I'm glad he was willing to go back and fix things here and there. One thing that always bugs me about Live at Budokan is how a lot of the singing is kind of off on an otherwise awesome sounding and looking video. I'd rather have something from one of my favorite bands that I'll want to watch a million times than something else that's cringe-worthy.

I've hardly if ever listened to the Once in a LIVEtime CD...I think that explains enough of what I think of it.

I have the 5 Years in a LIVEtime DVD and I've watched everything except for the songs from the night that were recorded for the Once in a LIVETime CD. So yeah, I'd say that's the worst show DT recorded for CD/DVD. The worst performance of any kind however, has got to be A Change of Seasons from the Toronto 2004 show.