Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Is that the double album where the guy's head is an open stadium?

I have that one somewhere, I think there's a lot of songs from Falling Into Infinity on it. I don't know, I thought it was OK. Mostly because they were playing stuff off FII which I hadn't heard previously. Not terrible IIRC.

As a South American, I have to agree with you, PolarizeMe. But I have been to tons of concerts in Rio, and the DT crowd is one of the mildest ones I´ve seen. We jump and sing a lot, of course, but when it´s DT we want to see them shred, follow the unisons, the crazy drum fills and whatnot, so we tend to pay more attention than on the average show.

All that said, check out 06:00 from the show in Rio last year - the crowd goes nuts!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHGIMxSScTA

I suppose those are very valid points as to why the crowd on Live at Luna Park seem mellow than I thought they would be. They aren't Maiden, but I think there are some moments in their songs where the crowd can go wild. Although, after watching the Pull Me Under video a couple of more times, I'm starting to think it's less about the crowd not giving a big reaction as much as it's crowd levels being pushed way down into the mix. This video was removed awhile ago, but watching that clip made me recall a fan video (pretty good audio on it as well) of the same song from that show from near the front and the crowd was very loud, chanting and singing along to the chorus. Definitely a case of turning the volume down on the crowd.

Not that it takes anything away from what would be my final verdict of Live at Luna Park cause the performance always comes first, but it would've been nice if they didn't have to turn the crowd down to barely audible levels cause this is a live album and I think we should be able the hear the crowd to some extent before, during, and after the songs.

I really get a Mustaine vibe on the first verses:

"Over and over again

I relive the moment

I´m bearing a burden within

Open wounds hidden under my skin

The pain is real

As a cut that bleeds

The face I see

Every time I try to sleep

Staring at me crying"

Not the screechy Mustaine of old, more like his grinning on Megadeth´s most recent albums.

Ok, I was just going to mention this about the verses for Behind the Veil. It's a flawless track aside from that. Mustaine's voice has always been a major put-off for me with Megadeth, end of story.

Edited by Steevo

It's mind boggling for me to see that there's a slow, rising majority of DT fans who believe that James' vocals on the Pull Me Under clip from Live at Luna Park aren't great even if overdubbing was used. I've been reading some comments on YouTube and even Blabbermouth and they all say the same thing negative criticism about James' vocals as they have been doing since his vocal injury. It's a shame really cause I believe his vocals are truly back since ADTOE, but it's their loss really. Seems like whatever DT has done since Portnoy left is "Never Enough" for them.

It's mind boggling for me to see that there's a slow, rising majority of DT fans who believe that James' vocals on the Pull Me Under clip from Live at Luna Park aren't great even if overdubbing was used. I've been reading some comments on YouTube and even Blabbermouth and they all say the same thing negative criticism about James' vocals as they have been doing since his vocal injury. It's a shame really cause I believe his vocals are truly back since ADTOE, but it's their loss really. Seems like whatever DT has done since Portnoy left is "Never Enough" for them.

James had a vocal injury? Never heard about that.

The last few times I've been listening to the new album, I've really picked up on how much younger his voice sounds. He certainly doesn't sound like a 50 year old man on the new release, that's for sure.

I think his vocals have improved immeasurably over the last few years.

Seriously? I thought it was common knowledge among Dream Theater fans. Look up "James Labrie vocal inury" on Google and you'll get all you need to know about the incident.

I don't anyone has discuss this yet as of recent times, but has any one read the new version of the Lifting Shadows biography yet? I just got an email today saying that my copy of the book will arrive at the end of week. I don't have either earlier versions of the book so this'll be a real treat for me. I think I'm looking forward to reading more about the details behind Portnoy's threat to sack James (I wanna believe there's more to it other than his lackluster performance in the late 90s early 2000s) and Portnoy's departure in detail from both sides' perspective.

Seriously? I thought it was common knowledge among Dream Theater fans. Look up "James Labrie vocal inury" on Google and you'll get all you need to know about the incident.

What I found was he ruptured a vocal chord back in 1994 while vomiting from food poisoning. Sounds pretty rough, I had no idea this happened. Of course, back in 1994 I didn't have the internet yet and news about a band like Dream Theater was hard to come by. At least he fully recovered from it.

Well for me he's a major reason why I like this band. I have yet to check his solo material but will soon.

I don't anyone has discuss this yet as of recent times, but has any one read the new version of the Lifting Shadows biography yet? I just got an email today saying that my copy of the book will arrive at the end of week. I don't have either earlier versions of the book so this'll be a real treat for me. I think I'm looking forward to reading more about the details behind Portnoy's threat to sack James (I wanna believe there's more to it other than his lackluster performance in the late 90s early 2000s) and Portnoy's departure in detail from both sides' perspective.

Never read the book. It´s updated every 2 or 3 years, right?

What I found was he ruptured a vocal chord back in 1994 while vomiting from food poisoning. Sounds pretty rough, I had no idea this happened. Of course, back in 1994 I didn't have the internet yet and news about a band like Dream Theater was hard to come by. At least he fully recovered from it.

He mentioned how on some nights he'll be able to sing okay and then on some nights his voice wouldn't be there. That vocal injury is the main reason why James' live performances have been spotty from 1995 to 2002. He claimed he didn't recover until during the SDOIT tour, and his voice has been getting better since then with the help of vocal coaching. Personally it wasn't until the ADTOE tour when I thought his vocals were at his best since Awake, although Score was his best recorded performance since the injury.

Never read the book. It´s updated every 2 or 3 years, right?

Yes, although this new version will be the last time the book will be available as a physical book. I'm not sure if they'll update it after every album but if they do, it'll probably be in digital formats like eBooks or Nooks.

Great book! 3/4 of the way through it and its excellent Edited by Tick

Incredible about face for me on the new album.

I now find it to be one of their very best......despite the crappy snare sound (arrrrrrhhh).

I love each and every track. Finally......finally.....fully appreciate Illumination Theory. Not one of their best epics.....but a lot better now that I have fully digested the entire album.

The Looking Glass maybe one of the best songs ever. Seriously....it is so good.

Behind The Veil is so intense.

The Bigger Picture is IMO their best power ballad ever. What an incredible journey that song has become for me. Truly adore it.

Surrender to Reason......EPIC.

Can't wait till 2014 and the tour in North America. Taking my son to his first DT show (he has seen Rush 3 times and Kiss 2 times) he is stoked.

Edited by Todem

Well for me he's a major reason why I like this band. I have yet to check his solo material but will soon.

I've heard the Impermanent Resonance album and it's pretty good. Some of the lyrics though are pretty cheesy to hear and you may hear some screaming death metal vocals (not from him but from the other members of his solo band), but, overall, it is good and differs a lot from Dream Theater. My first reaction, when I first heard it, was that this was exactly the kind of album I expected him to sing when I 1st heard of his voice from DT.

Edited by Anguyen92

The video was removed.

I'm watching the Live at Luna Park live chat right now and at some point today, On The Backs of Angels from Live at Luna Park will be uploaded onto YouTube. Turns out that video of it that I posted earlier was let out of the bag earlier than it was suppose to.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Check this out, the special edition of LIve at Luna Park unveiled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EFd7C0SX56k

The second to last picture in the booklet is from the Buenos Aires suburb called Boca, one of the coolest places in the city, home of the Boca Juniors team, which gave the world Maradona.

• Like 1

Over the Edge Productions, the company that shot Live at Luna Park also posted a behind the scene video on YouTube on what they were doing during the filming took place and their philosophy behind directing concerts. It's pretty cool especially if you want to be a film editor doing concert videos, which is something I'd like to do once I get out of college (it's more like art/film school for me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-BBaQAecHI&feature=youtu.be

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Check this out, the special edition of LIve at Luna Park unveiled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EFd7C0SX56k

The second to last picture in the booklet is from the Buenos Aires suburb called Boca, one of the coolest places in the city, home of the Boca Juniors team, which gave the world Maradona.

At last we get to hear audio from a different song, and it's the one I was quite interested in hearing cause I thought The Dark Eternal Night lagged on in Chaos in Motion. This version's up to the original tempo which is great.

Oh, cool video. I'm always intrigued of how a live video is going to be shot with all the cameras and the tech guys, somewhere in the building, trying to make sure that the sound and everything is as spot on as it can be to capture that right moment and all of that. So, this is a nice nugget.