Earthquake! (a little bitty one)

1980:  My area (Northern Kentucky) experienced a 5.1 earthquake (epicenter = Sharpsburg, KY, about 45 miles southeast of Cincinnati).

Sitting at home, watching TV, and then **rumble rumble shake shake** .  My mother and I looked at each other in total amazement!  Talk about Big News!  

Of course, it didn't take long before people were hawking printed t-shirts..."I survived the Cincinnati Earthquake of 1980!"    :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, invisible airwave said:

Laughs in California.

If you get a earthquake, us westsiders get White Castle and you get In N Out.  Fair is fair.

I did call it a bitty one. :wink: But even bitty ones are rare out here.

And you can have White Castle, that stuff is gross. A sliver of grade D beef on a burger that's mostly bun. I can get slider buns anywhere.

How are In N Out's prices these days? Here in the east Five Guys is up to $18+ for just a regular burger/small fries/drink.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

And you can have White Castle, that stuff is gross. A sliver of grade D beef on a burger that's mostly bun. I can get slider buns anywhere.

How are In N Out's prices these days? Here in the east Five Guys is up to $18+ for just a regular burger/small fries/drink.

Five Guys folded here because of its prices,  and that was pre-inflation.  I loved their burgers, though.

I was shaving my face, I didn't miss a beat. It felt like the itty-bitty earthquakes we got in Oklahoma once in a while.

New Yorkers telling Taiwan how bad their earthquake was

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Have you had their 1921 slider*?

White Castle Is Making Thicker Sliders to Celebrate Its 101st Year in  Business

*1921, the year they were founded, not a calorie count.

13 minutes ago, custom55 said:

4.0 aftershock around 4pm.   I didn't feel that one either and I'm in NJ.

I too am in the land of Taylor Ham. I thought the aftershock might have been a breeze blowing against the window. My wife wasted no time telling me how wrong I was.

• Like 1

My daughter said she felt it (here in central PA) but I didn't notice anything.  We had a small one here about 10 years ago, the earth science guy at my husband's school had a seismograph from somewhere and it was cool to see him post the photo of it.  So I ask my husband today- did the seismograph show anything?   He goes, "I don't know, I think Mark stuck it in a closet somewhere??"    Science!  Glad everyone is ok!

(A part of me was glad it didn't happen on Monday during the eclipse??!!  Like witches at black masses!  :blink: )

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

The biggest one I have been through was a 6.5 in Western Washington about 20 years ago. I was outside working in the wrecking yard when it happened. I was sitting in my yard car (an old Datsun truck) when it started shaking and the chains to the tailgate latches stared making noise. Seeing as a coworker and I were constantly pranking each other,  I yelled out the window for him to knock it off. It kept going. I hopped out of the truck and saw that all the cars on their stands (old rims) were bobbing and swaying...

My Mom was in that bad one in Alaska a couple of years before I was born.

• Like 3

This might bring out the new drug addicts of 2024, they get high on the new "zombie narcotic" made from crushed human bones! So guard your graveyards and don't get run over by a bus, or you'll get squashed and then smoked literally...

My first major earthquake. Heard it, but really didn't feel much. Heard the major after shock about 8 hours later too. Slight window vibrations like a truck was going by. Could have been more than 20 seconds. Quake itself was about a minute.  Dog allegedly slept through the first one and didn't really notice the major aftershock. So much for early warning systems. 100 year event here right on a major fault.  Quakes are more violent on the west coast supposedly.

The 4.8 this morning and the aftershock were bout 1/2 mile from each other.  Under some guys farm, and under a small lake/pond.

Funny thing is that I know the place.  I used to play hookey from work in the Warren, NJ are early last decade - used to jsst go out wandering and exploing the back roads of central, NJ.  I went back to my notebook to be sure...drove past both those places May 30, 2014. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ozzy85 said:

The biggest one I have been through was a 6.5 in Western Washington about 20 years ago. I was outside working in the wrecking yard when it happened. I was sitting in my yard car (an old Datsun truck) when it started shaking and the chains to the tailgate latches stared making noise. Seeing as a coworker and I were constantly pranking each other,  I yelled out the window for him to knock it off. It kept going. I hopped out of the truck and saw that all the cars on their stands (old rims) were bobbing and swaying...

My Mom was in that bad one in Alaska a couple of years before I was born.

That Alaskan one was a bad one, I was very young and remember my parents trying g to contact friends there. Glad you and your mom rode them both out ok.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ytserush said:

My first major earthquake. Heard it, but really didn't feel much. Heard the major after shock about 8 hours later too. Slight window vibrations like a truck was going by. Could have been more than 20 seconds. Quake itself was about a minute.  Dog allegedly slept through the first one and didn't really notice the major aftershock. So much for early warning systems. 100 year event here right on a major fault.  Quakes are more violent on the west coast supposedly.

No supposedly, they have had some rough ones. Last two were 7.1 and 6.5.  We had a 5.7 in 2020, we are on a big fault on the Wasatch.  It can be very unsettling to be sure.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ytserush said:

Quakes are more violent on the west coast supposedly.

3 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Supposedly? 

He's being facetious.  I keep telling myself this.  :ohmy:  :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

No supposedly, they have had some rough ones. Last two were 7.1 and 6.5.  We had a 5.7 in 2020, we are on a big fault on the Wasatch.  It can be very unsettling to be sure.

I was in Palm Springs for the 1992 Landers quake, which was a 7.3.  That was the longest and strongest quake I've experienced.  There were aftershocks throughout the day, and you could see them roll their way up the tree-lined  fairways on the golf course.  The 7.3 quake was bookended by a 6.1 and a 6.3.

In college outside of Spokane, WA I was in the shower on the 9th floor of our dorm when a quake hit.  At first, in my morning stupor, I thought I was being pranked by someone shaking the shower, but I quickly realized that made no sense.   

• Like 2

This was such a non-event. I didn’t even consider posting that meme about rebuilding with the white plastic lawn furniture tossed over.

• Haha 2

On 4/5/2024 at 8:45 PM, blueschica said:

That Alaskan one was a bad one, I was very young and remember my parents trying g to contact friends there. Glad you and your mom rode them both out ok.

That one in '64 was a 9.2 and went for almost 5 minutes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ozzy85 said:

That one in '64 was a 9.2 and went for almost 5 minutes.

As a kid I remember reading about it and seeing photos like this...

Anchorage-earthquake-Alaska-1964.jpg

• Like 2