Howard Stern raves about Geddy's book

Rushman14

Howard Stern is known for not being a Rush fan, but yesterday he was talking about how he decided to give Geddy's book a try and much to his surprise, fell in love with Geddy and thinks the book is a home run. I recorded it for you all :)

• Like 5

I can say this with love, Stern is bandwagoning the popularity of the book.

Stern is still irritated he was censored on Sirius.

Like BastillePark said, same tribe, so it's all good.

Edited by BigMontanaSKY
  • Like 1

Geddy should be grateful that Stern is praising his book now. 

If Stern had started praising it earlier, sales may have plummeted!  :laugh:

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's been 20 something years since I listened to Howard Stern. What does he even do on his show these days?

He has been interviewing some really good guests. Had Billy Joel on last week, also recently Metallica, Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen etc...

Some woman called after that segment and asked if he would have Geddy on the show for an interview and he said absolutely. We shall see.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Same tribe.

14 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Like BastillePark said, same tribe, so it's all good.

Are we really going to make this a racial/ethnic judgment?  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's been 20 something years since I listened to Howard Stern. What does he even do on his show these days?

What are you wearing?

Except now it's creepy instead of cutting edge and funny. 

I'm kidding.  I haven't listened to him myself since 1989 - when he was still cutting edge and funny.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rushman14 said:

He has been interviewing some really good guests. Had Billy Joel on last week, also recently Metallica, Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen etc...

Some woman called after that segment and asked if he would have Geddy on the show for an interview and he said absolutely. We shall see.

Stern's an excellent interviewer these days, since he's toned down the crass.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, goose said:

Stern's an excellent interviewer these days, since he's toned down the crass.

He is really is. That would be awesome if you could land a Geddy interview.

• Like 1

Stern is still great.   His recent interviews with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Paul Giamatti, John 5,  etc are excellent. 

• Like 2

I'd love to see him interview Geddy. His music interviews are still great. I haven't listened to his daily show otherwise though. I remember Richard Christie was one of my favorite parts when I listened in college 10 years ago

• Like 2

I'd like to hear Stern interview Geddy. Stern has the ability to conduct very goo interviews and this book clearly shows Howard sees Rush in a different light. Not normally Stern's kind of music but Howard will turn for or against you if there's something he likes or dislikes personally about someone. I think he liked Pink Floyd until Waters criticized Israel. Stern's one of those Bruce Springsteen/Bo Jovi fans - Rush isn't going to be something he can understand. He claims to know "all the songs" but what he knows is The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer and since those songs aren't about sex/cars or in 4/4, he rejects them.

Another person who has to temper their praise by making it clear that they don't like Rush.  When his assistant or whatever says I'll make you a playlist, he goes on about how he was a DJ and therefore knows "all of Rush's songs".  He likely knows Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Fly By Night, Limelight and Closer To The Heart.  How someone can read and like that book and remain totally uncurious about their deeper catalogue is beyond uncurious about their deeper catalogue is beyond me.

Edited by Timbale

On 3/1/2024 at 7:44 AM, custom55 said:

Stern is still great.   His recent interviews with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Paul Giamatti, John 5,  etc are excellent. 

One could say what they will about his level or quality of humor. But he was always a great interviewer, even back in the day when he was on afternoons at K-Rock in NY.   I barely remember his time on WNBC AM..so can't comment on his interviews/content from that phase.   

But FM..he was killing it.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Stern has often referred to Rush music as soulless, so he's not going to come around to it.  You either get Rush or you don't and Stern clearly doesn't.  

However, since he's reading Geddy's book and will come across Geddy referring to the Beatles, Cream and other bands that Stern has gushed over in the past there may be an interest in reaching out to Geddy for an interview. 

The staffer who told Stern he'd make him a playlist was John Hein.  He's a huge Rush fan.  He should have known that Stern would not go for that, instead he should have steered Howard to the Feedback album. Those are covers of songs that are in Stern's wheelhouse.

• Like 1