Grace Under Pressure 40th boxed set?

caskof43

I think there's a couple of scenarios we're going to have to be patient about to see if there indeed will be a "Grace" 40th set: 

1 - There's going to be a press release on April 12th (the 40th anniversary of the album) for a release in June or something.

2 - An October announcement for a Christmas release .

I think if we get to October without hearing anything, regrettably I think the series will be done :( 

It's a shame if that happens, and it'll be due to lack of sales from the Signals 40th. They only had theirselves to blame with a lack of live content so that we'd all buy it...it's a vicious circle unfortunately :(

• Like 1

I want as much live stuff as I can get too, but the constant portrayal of them choosing not to give us live stuff on the Signals box set or to claim they're "at fault" or "to blame" is just weird to me. There was some live stuff with every single previous box set so there's no reason to think they wouldn't have included it if it existed and there has never even been a hint of anything multitrack recorded or filmed on the Signals tour. It was on my mind as soon as the MP box set was out, that if they continued the Signals one would be bare because there's no live stuff to speak of. It would have been a (very pleasant) shock to me if there was any. Hell, even the Wandering the Face of the Earth book identifies tons of specific shows that were recorded or filmed, but nothing noted at all on the Signals tour. The only way anyone could use the words blame or fault would be to say they should have known in 1982 that they'd be making 40th anniversary box sets.

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, starscreamsrevenge said:

I think there's a couple of scenarios we're going to have to be patient about to see if there indeed will be a "Grace" 40th set: 

1 - There's going to be a press release on April 12th (the 40th anniversary of the album) for a release in June or something.

2 - An October announcement for a Christmas release .

I think if we get to October without hearing anything, regrettably I think the series will be done :( 

It's a shame if that happens, and it'll be due to lack of sales from the Signals 40th. They only had theirselves to blame with a lack of live content so that we'd all buy it...it's a vicious circle unfortunately :(

Even with the dearth of a live show, I would have bought the Signals anniversary set if it had been released in a CD or CD/DVD/BluRay package -- I realize the value of LPs, but I simply don't collect them or use them.  

I think a Signals CDS/DVD/BluRay set packaged with a Signals tour shirt reprint would have sold a bunch more units ... a missed opportunity.  

I have already bought every Rush release, most in multiple formats (8-track, cassete, CD, remasters, etc), so one more would have been easy to justify.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, snowdog2112 said:

I want as much live stuff as I can get too, but the constant portrayal of them choosing not to give us live stuff on the Signals box set or to claim they're "at fault" or "to blame" is just weird to me. There was some live stuff with every single previous box set so there's no reason to think they wouldn't have included it if it existed and there has never even been a hint of anything multitrack recorded or filmed on the Signals tour. It was on my mind as soon as the MP box set was out, that if they continued the Signals one would be bare because there's no live stuff to speak of. It would have been a (very pleasant) shock to me if there was any. Hell, even the Wandering the Face of the Earth book identifies tons of specific shows that were recorded or filmed, but nothing noted at all on the Signals tour. The only way anyone could use the words blame or fault would be to say they should have known in 1982 that they'd be making 40th anniversary box sets.

Thanks for the reply.

This is where there's gaps in my knowledge, I haven't got the "Wandering the face of the Earth" book, so this is the first time there's a source out there saying that there actually is no live recordings from the Signals tour. Thanks for the info! :smile:

I just think it's an indicament of the music industry that if some accountant says "this last boxset hasn't sold, it's not worth carrying on with these" that it's a shame we possibly won't get any more remasters, that's the disappointing thing to me.

HOWEVER, we're running before we can walk here!!! Let's see what the 12th brings and take things from there :cool:

13 minutes ago, capoetc said:

Even with the dearth of a live show, I would have bought the Signals anniversary set if it had been released in a CD or CD/DVD/BluRay package -- I realize the value of LPs, but I simply don't collect them or use them.  

I think a Signals CDS/DVD/BluRay set packaged with a Signals tour shirt reprint would have sold a bunch more units ... a missed opportunity.  

I have already bought every Rush release, most in multiple formats (8-track, cassete, CD, remasters, etc), so one more would have been easy to justify.  

Exactly, they should have released it on CD to cater for different people's listening habits. 

That's why I jumped when they released the 2015 remaster as a standalone CD in Japan. It's probably one of my favourite remasters to be honest :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starscreamsrevenge said:

Thanks for the reply.

This is where there's gaps in my knowledge, I haven't got the "Wandering the face of the Earth" book, so this is the first time there's a source out there saying that there actually is no live recordings from the Signals tour. Thanks for the info! :smile:

I just think it's an indicament of the music industry that if some accountant says "this last boxset hasn't sold, it's not worth carrying on with these" that it's a shame we possibly won't get any more remasters, that's the disappointing thing to me.

HOWEVER, we're running before we can walk here!!! Let's see what the 12th brings and take things from there :cool:

To be clear, I can't personally promise that they didn't record anything, but I've been an avid live music and bootleg collector since the 80s and I'm fairly OCD and I think I've read or seen about every article/interview that might have disclosed some recording that tour. It's certainly possible, even likely, that they did simple recordings from night to night for their own review and critique, I can't remember how early they did that, but even then I doubt they were kept even from night to night and even if they did still exist they certainly wouldn't consider those to be release-worthy. So to me it was just an extra clarification when that book came out which listed the shows recorded for various live albums and not a single Signals show was noted that way. Trust me, I'm as disappointed as anyone, I'm just not surprised. 

And if you haven't seen the book yourself you can see a good sample here. No reference book is absolutely foolproof and I think I remember at least one radio broadcast show from the 70s that wasn't mentioned but in general it is extremely detailed. Check out August 19 on page 49 or August 24 on page 50 for examples of this with the aborted TV appearance and the radio show discussed in detail.

Rush: Wandering the Face of the Earth: The Official Touring History: Skip Daly, Eric Hansen, Bienstock, Richard, Ungerleider, Howard, Copeland, Stewart, Claypool, Les: 9781683834502: Amazon.com: Books

If anything was done for Signals it would have been done without anyone from the band or crew/staff mentioning it for over 40 years, no soundboard ever leaking, and a book of this detail making no mention of it. Is that possible? I guess, but it seems clear to me there just isn't anything from 82 to release. I mean, they had just released ESL. They almost certainly didn't record any shows on the Presto tour either.

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 1

To be perfectly honest, I wish they'd quit with these 40th anniversary boxsets.

I don't need a remastered Grace Under Pressure.  I have half a dozen different masters of it already across various formats and nothing else they could do is going to make it sound better than it already does, short of a very tastefully done remix.

What I DO want, and what I would actually shell out good money for, is a standalone video release of the complete p/g live show, ditto ESL and ASOH.  Beyond that, give us the complete Toronto '97 show, or the shows from the Presto and RTB tours that were filmed.  Release more soundboards as official live albums.

I really don't care about studio albums with re-imagined artwork and little toy cars.  I want new things to watch and listen to, that's all.

• Like 6

On 4/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, snowdog2112 said:

A soundboard would have been nice but perhaps the tempo was an issue.

Doesn't matter, it still sucks.

With the resources available it would not have been difficult to make a high quality boot official, and AI up the sound.

SUCK.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I sent a message to someone at Anthem about this and this was their reply: "I can tell you its certainly on my list of hopeful "to do"."

Doesn't sound like anything has been done regarding GUP.

Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

I sent a message to someone at Anthem about this and this was their reply: "I can tell you its certainly on my list of hopeful "to do"."

Thoughts?

Sounds like everyone's enthusiasm is waning. 

On 4/11/2024 at 2:54 AM, Holdyourfireal said:

Thoughts?

Hi,

Thanks for passing this along. How recently did you message your friend for this info out of interest? 

Just thinking out loud about what's just been revealed...I suppose if they were aiming for a Christmas release and they started work on it literally within the next couple of weeks, it might just be ready in time...but I admit it doesn't look good. 

That's a shame isn't it? :facepalm: 

What's everyone else's thoughts?

40 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Happy birthday Grace!

tenor.gif

Thanks for that cool gif!!! 

I listened to "Grace" in full earlier. SO great :thumbsup:

In MY personal opinion (we're all entitled to them) this is the last album I enjoy from beginning to end. 

Don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of songs from every album I enjoy after this point, it's just there's always a few songs on each album that don't gell with me for whatever reason.

It's a shame Peter Henderson wasn't given a 2nd album to oversee a project from start to end - it's well documented he was virtually parachuted in to purely record the album, so couldn't really offer his opinions/advice on the material. It could have been interesting :smile:

Edited by starscreamsrevenge

On 4/10/2024 at 9:54 PM, Holdyourfireal said:

Thoughts?

Have to figure Pegi passing at least delayed it and that's the best case scenario.

I'd be happy with he straight 2015 CD remaster.  Not exactly spending any time thinking about it at this point. A new Envy Of None CD would be nice though.

14 hours ago, ytserush said:

Have to figure Pegi passing at least delayed it and that's the best case scenario.

I'd be happy with he straight 2015 CD remaster.  Not exactly spending any time thinking about it at this point. A new Envy Of None CD would be nice though.

A remastered BluRay/DVD release of the full GuP show would be a great thing, though.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 1:54 AM, starscreamsrevenge said:

Hi,

Thanks for passing this along. How recently did you message your friend for this info out of interest? 

Just thinking out loud about what's just been revealed...I suppose if they were aiming for a Christmas release and they started work on it literally within the next couple of weeks, it might just be ready in time...but I admit it doesn't look good. 

That's a shame isn't it? :facepalm: 

What's everyone else's thoughts?

I talked to him two weeks ago.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 11:24 AM, capoetc said:

A remastered BluRay/DVD release of the full GuP show would be a great thing, though.

As much as I'd love to see a release like this happen, I have my doubts that it ever will, for a few different reasons.

1) Physical Media is a dying industry.

With the exceptions of collectors and preservationists, most people simply do not care for Physical forms of media. As a result Anthem would be less likely to release an updated remastered release for such a small percentage of people.

2) The Footage might not exist anymore.

In all the research I've done on this topic, I have never found any evidence to suggest that the film reels were preserved or held onto. It's to the contrary actually. I recall reading a post someone posted on the forum where it was mentioned that nobody bothered to keep track of the film reels after each live video was released in the 80's. Additionally, sources close to Rush have stated that the band had absolutely zero interest in older footage of themselves and as a result they did not go to any lengths to preserve it. A lot of the older footage that we do have exists only because it was preserved by third parties or by people close to the band who stepped in to save it.Even for the R40 boxset, they used the same old video transfers for footage that was included. The bonus Lock and Key Footage from ASOH was from the same old video transfer as the VHS/Laserdisc, and DVD release. Not a remastered and newly scanned negative. I'd love to be wrong, but I do believe that the original negatives for ESL, GUP, and ASOH are probably long gone or unaccounted for.

• Like 4