The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The Warning - Queen Of The Murder Scene

best album I’ve played today

Did you get the CD yet? The booklet is awesome.

Edited by J2112YYZ

28 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Did you get the CD yet? The booklet is awesome.

No, I’m holding out for vinyl.

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No, I’m holding out for vinyl.

I got my dad Error on vinyl and the booklet folds out into a poster of the album cover and the lyrics are on the other side. So, you can hang it up either way if you wanted to. One vinyl is white and the other is blue. My dad was really surprised by that since he's used to old school black vinyl.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Opeth - Damnation

Fates Warning - Parallels 

The Opeth record is great but definitely for a specific mood. The Fates Warning record…. I’m not sure this is the right Fates Warning for me. It just sounds like a less than essential Queensryche clone to my ears. Nothing was bad per say, but it kinda got tiring quickly. I wonder if I’d get more mileage out of their early stuff…

I may get hate for this but I think FW are one of the most boring bands with some of the flattest production ever. Queensryche, Savatage, Dream Theater, Symphony X exist, so I definitely don't feel left out not liking FW. I tried numerous albums but nothing stuck, and nothing felt like "maybe a few more listens will do it".

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I may get hate for this but I think FW are one of the most boring bands with some of the flattest production ever. Queensryche, Savatage, Dream Theater, Symphony X exist, so I definitely don't feel left out not liking FW. I tried numerous albums but nothing stuck, and nothing felt like "maybe a few more listens will do it".

I do not disagree with you based on my little experience with them. Especially the production comment, flat is exactly how I’d describe it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I got my dad Error on vinyl and the booklet folds out into a poster of the album cover and the lyrics are on the other side. So, you can hang it up either way if you wanted to. One vinyl is white and the other is blue. My dad was really surprised by that since he's used to old school black vinyl.

Yeah a lot of new vinyl comes with goodies and in color these days. It used to be much much rarer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

it's their damn flat ass production.  i don't think i've finished any FW album i've spun.  i just get so bored.

Mick

• Like 3

Speaking of soul sucking albums.......this is always fun.

Toto-IV (6/10)

I gave it a 6 because i do like a handful of songs

Rosanna

I Won't Hold you Back

Make Believe (is ok at best)

Afraid of Love

The rest is some of the most dull slick music i've ever heard.  i still maintain Africa's one of the worst hit singles i've ever heard.  I used to sing i guess the plane's down in Africa:laugh:  i like mine better, lol

My least fav Toto by miles.

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

That's how I always felt about Fates Warning. There was always something missing there for me. The production may have been it. They have good songs but yeah, nothing really popped for me with them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Toto-IV (6/10)

Rosanna

I Won't Hold you Back

Afraid of Love

The rest is some of the most dull slick music i've ever heard.  i still maintain Africa's one of the worst hit singles i've ever heard.  I used to sing i guess the plane's down in Africa:laugh:  i like mine better, lol

Mick

Oh no!

anyway

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh no!

anyway

I know right?! I love the album start to finish 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

🤔Yeah I feel similar about Fates Warning, they are just not in the same league as all the other great bands you mentioned. 

Going off on a tangent , what do you think of It Bites ? 🤔

• Like 2

Friday - Monday:

Kesha - Warrior (Deluxe) (Vinyl)

PVRIS - White Noise (Deluxe)

Savage Hands - Barely Alive

Savage Hands - The Truth In Your Eyes

New Radio Etiquette - A Joke Only You Can Laugh At (EP)

Amor Alive - Long Gone EP

Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! (Deluxe)

Britney Spears - Femme Fatale (Vinyl)

Dropkick Murphys - Blackout (Vinyl)

boygenius - The Record

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Toto-IV (6/10)

Rosanna

I Won't Hold you Back

Afraid of Love

Mick

Yeah Mick , it’s not in my Top 8 Toto albums neither …. although ironically it’s the album that ..

1) Got me into Toto ! 🙃
2) and from there, due to the few Hard Rock tracks on the album, and Luke’s 2 amazing 🎸 solos on Rosanna, converted me into a blissfully unaware pop fan into the more under the radar Hard Rock Scene

:musik19: :NP: :ROCK: 

It was CBS/Columbia , their Record Company at the time that forced the guys  hand, and made them put out a soft pop/soul record which would appeal to the ‘ ignorant masses ! ‘ 
If they made another hard rock album to follow up ‘ Turn Back ‘ and sales hadn’t improved, they would have been dropped.

Unfortunately, it’s the music BUSINESS and

not the MUSIC business ! 😕

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Typo

10 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Yeah Mick , it’s not in my Top 8 Toto albums neither …. although ironically it’s the album that ..

1) Got me into Toto ! 🙃
2) and from there, due to the few Hard Rock tracks on the album, and Luke’s 2 amazing 🎸 solos on Rosanna, converted me into a blissfully unaware pop fan into the more under the radar Hard Rock Scene

:musik19: :NP: :ROCK: 

It was CBS/Columbia , their Record Company at the time that forced the guys  hand, and made them put out a soft pop/soul record which would appeal to the ‘ ignorant masses ! ‘ 
If they made another hard rock album to follow up ‘ Turn Back ‘ and sales hadn’t improved, they would have been dropped.

Unfortunately, it’s the music BUSINESS and

not the MUSIC business ! 😕

that's the thing though.  i admit without this record NONE of us would be talking about Toto......who is toto? lol.  BUT.........a Grammy does not a good album make.  and if folk genuinely like it......i bless your Rain's in Africa, lol

Me......I just find this album Incredibly cynical and slick.  It's the same reason Aja's not my fav Steely Dan (though Aja on the whole is a WAY beeter record...so but it just is, lol)

people can dismiss me all they want but this album is a bread on bread sandwich with little meat too it, IMO.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Today , following on my recent rekindled

obsession with early original Francis Dunnery, It Bites. ( ‘86-‘90 )

I’ve tried some newer Era

It Bites with 

John Mitchell as frontman on vocal and 🎸

The Tall Ships (2008)  8/10  - pretty good 👍