Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 hour ago, Timbale said:

Chronos - do you have feelings about the new Gabriel songs (the 3 that are out so far)?

I'm withholding judgment until I hear the full album, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Gabriel's voice hasn't aged, and I like these three tracks. I'm especially impressed by "The Court" -- it sounds like it came straight off of the Security album.

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GenesisSellingEngland.jpg

If I were forced to choose, this would likely be my #1 album of all time. It is wrapped in so much nostalgia, wrapped in so many memories from the very distant past. It evokes and represents an idyllic childhood in 1970s California. I dare not play it often, for I do not want to wear it out. 

• Like 8

Helloween - Master of the Rings

I understand that this was Helloween's 6th album and the first one after Michael Kiske had left the band.  I also understand that some view it has having saved the group  - that after the Keeper album's they had put out 2 dogs of album.  Not certain if that true, eventually I intended to listen to those 2 albums.  I do know that after the Keeper albums I stoped listening to them.

So what did I think of it?  Well, its good, solid & enjoyable.  A lot of decent songs.  No dogs.  Not many I am going crazy for but I enjoyed it.  Seems to be a pattern with their albums.  I find them enjoyable, solid, decent, good - but nothing I go crazy for.  Which is strange.  I like power metal, the group has good drum work, good guitar work and great (like really great) vocals no matter who the lead singer is.  But somehow, other than the Keeper albums, they don't go to the next level.  But they are still enjoyable enough I will keep exploring them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chronos said:

I'm withholding judgment until I hear the full album, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Gabriel's voice hasn't aged, and I like these three tracks. I'm especially impressed by "The Court" -- it sounds like it came straight off of the Security album.

I get that - cautiously optimistic is exactly how I feel, too.  HIs voice is really great on these recordings.  I agree with you on The Court...and Playing For Time really moved me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chronos said:

GenesisSellingEngland.jpg

If I were forced to choose, this would likely be my #1 album of all time. It is wrapped in so much nostalgia, wrapped in so many memories from the very distant past. It evokes and represents an idyllic childhood in 1970s California. I dare not play it often, for I do not want to wear it out. 

Probably the Genesis album that's grown on me the most. I felt it was middling for a long while when I first got it, but eventually I warmed up to its gentler approach and more subtle production and now it makes my Genesis top 5.

Totally get that last part, I'm the same way with my favorite album. It's never lost its charm for me and I don't want to risk it. I almost never play Bohemian Rhapsody intentionally either, because I know I'll hear it somewhere in some context every few months at least (hopefully not karaoke... but probably karaoke).

• Like 1

Green Day- Dookie 

Green Day- Insomniac 

Green Day- Warning 

AFI- The Art Of Drowning 

AFI- Sing The Sorrow

Third Eye Blind- Blue 

Lacuna Coil- Comalies 

• Like 4

Jimmy Eat World- Integrity Blues 

Beautiful album. 

• Like 1

The_Lamb_Lies_Down_on_Broadway.jpg

This one's a lot like Physical Graffiti to me. Tons of fans call this bloated thing their peak, but I'm like ... naaah. 

I love Side 1 a ton. But it's all downhill from there. My least favorite Gabriel/Hackett Genesis album.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Chronos said:

The_Lamb_Lies_Down_on_Broadway.jpg

This one's a lot like Physical Graffiti to me. Tons of fans call this bloated thing their peak, but I'm like ... naaah. 

I love Side 1 a ton. But it's all downhill from there. My least favorite Gabriel/Hackett Genesis album.

Mesmerizes me from start to finish!  In fact, the low point to me is Cuckoo Cocoon, on side 1!  It's like the record is just cooking so hard and then.....meh...and then right into In The Cage, which is so great.

But I respect your opinion...and it's hard to beat Selling England :) 

• Like 2