• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor Swift- Folklore 

Taylor Swift- Evermore 

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chronos said:

FromGenesistoRevelation.jpg

Hot take perhaps, but I prefer this to anything after Abacab. 

I’d call that a warm take. I can see it, but it’s not gonna be the most popular opinion.

• Like 1

Brothers of Metal - Prophecy of Ragnarok

For the last several days, when I have had the time to play around with youtube, I have been watching (1) live Blind Guardian (2) live Halloween or (3) live Brothers of Metal.  Today I listened to this album (their first of 2 albums they have released).   Obviously their live shows interested me - so what did I think of the album?  Dang its awesome.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

First off, a word about the band.  If you don't like Norse mythology and / or power metal the band may not be for you.  But since I like both, its my cup of tea.  The band itself was formed (as I understand it) when a bunch of friends went out and made up some drinking songs while they got drunk.  The next day (after they recovered from any hangovers) they sat down and said "you know, we were actually pretty good - maybe we should form an actual band."  The rest is history.  

Now, the band should be called "A Small Army of Metal Heads"  They have a drummer, a bass player, not one, not 2 but 3 guitarists  Plus not one, not 2 but 3 lead singers.  The lone women in the band is one of the lead vocalists (her brother is another one of the lead singers).  In an interview. I watched, she indicated that they all loved metal but other than that they all had very different musical tastes so they had a lot to draw upon when writing this album.  For example, she mentioned that her favorite music was actually American country music.  Metal was her second favorite type of music and her favorite metal bands were Nightwish and Amon Amarath.  

This album is just loaded with awesome songs.  The really enjoyable songs include:

The title track

Death of the God of Light

Son of Odin

Defenders of Valhalla

Yggdrasil (IMO this is the best song on the album)

Fire, Blood & Steel

Gods of War

The Mead Song

Sleipnir

Freya

That list might sound like the entire album.  Its not, but I could have listed the entire album.  I liked everything on it.  Their song writing is very good & the bands guitarists and drummer are decent.  Best of all, the women who sings lead is a wonderful vocalist - just top flight.  The interesting thing is that they seem to have a sense of wonder and joy about what they are doing.  She (the woman vocalist) indicated in the interview I watched that they never really thought the album would sell.  They were shocked when it started to sell.

They also have a great sense of humor in some of their live shows - that will help them in the long run.

Can't recommend this album enough.

Going to check out their other album now....

• Like 1

Brothers of Metal - Emblas Saga

Not quite as good as the first album but that was a heck of an album to follow.  But this album is still loaded with very good songs.  The songs I really liked include:

Powersnake

Chain Breaker

Kaunaz Dagaz

Njord

Brothers Unite

One

Ride of the Valkyries

Again, I could have basically listed almost every song on the album.  I think Kaunaz Dabaz might be my favorite but its hard to call.  There are a number of songs basically as good.

I get the feeling this band is experimenting a bit.  It will be interesting to see where they wind up.

I really liked both of their albums.  Can't recommend them enough.

8 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Brothers of Metal - Prophecy of Ragnarok

For the last several days, when I have had the time to play around with youtube, I have been watching (1) live Blind Guardian (2) live Halloween or (3) live Brothers of Metal.  Today I listened to this album (their first of 2 albums they have released).   Obviously their live shows interested me - so what did I think of the album?  Dang its awesome.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

First off, a word about the band.  If you don't like Norse mythology and / or power metal the band may not be for you.  But since I like both, its my cup of tea.  The band itself was formed (as I understand it) when a bunch of friends went out and made up some drinking songs while they got drunk.  The next day (after they recovered from any hangovers) they sat down and said "you know, we were actually pretty good - maybe we should form an actual band."  The rest is history.  

Now, the band should be called "A Small Army of Metal Heads"  They have a drummer, a bass player, not one, not 2 but 3 guitarists  Plus not one, not 2 but 3 lead singers.  The lone women in the band is one of the lead vocalists (her brother is another one of the lead singers).  In an interview. I watched, she indicated that they all loved metal but other than that they all had very different musical tastes so they had a lot to draw upon when writing this album.  For example, she mentioned that her favorite music was actually American country music.  Metal was her second favorite type of music and her favorite metal bands were Nightwish and Amon Amarath.  

This album is just loaded with awesome songs.  The really enjoyable songs include:

The title track

Death of the God of Light

Son of Odin

Defenders of Valhalla

Yggdrasil (IMO this is the best song on the album)

Fire, Blood & Steel

Gods of War

The Mead Song

Sleipnir

Freya

That list might sound like the entire album.  Its not, but I could have listed the entire album.  I liked everything on it.  Their song writing is very good & the bands guitarists and drummer are decent.  Best of all, the women who sings lead is a wonderful vocalist - just top flight.  The interesting thing is that they seem to have a sense of wonder and joy about what they are doing.  She (the woman vocalist) indicated in the interview I watched that they never really thought the album would sell.  They were shocked when it started to sell.

They also have a great sense of humor in some of their live shows - that will help them in the long run.

Can't recommend this album enough.

Going to check out their other album now....

Oh I really like this! Playing it now, having a lot of fun. Sorta sounds like Leaves Eyes meets Powerwolf.

• Like 1

REM- Out Of Time 

Testament- The Ritual 

Pixies- Surfa Rosa

• Like 2

Paradise Lost- Obsidian 

One of my three favourite UK metal bands (tied with Maiden and Priest, honestly), I haven't played this 2020 release all that much, and listening to it today, it's hard to say why. On the one hand, everything here feels like a leftover from a previous era of the band. On the other, it's all exceptional gothic/doom/death metal, with haunting atmospherics, heavy riffs, melodic solos to die for, and some of Nick Holmes best vocal work ever (and that's saying something).

It lacks a definite sense of character, and yet its close to perfection. I hope for more from them soon, it feels like this came out just for them to go silent (covid happened and then recently we saw a sode project called Host come out with a Depeche Mode-esque release. Must check that out).

The Weeknd- After Hours 

I love The Weeknd. A pretty flawless discography, and a unique artist. One of the few mainstream stars who release albums I can listen to and fall in deep.

• Like 1

UFO- Force It

Outstanding hard rock, I love this band!

• Like 3