Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

On 3/16/2023 at 7:39 PM, The Cat 3 said:

Roger_Waters_Pros_Cons_HH.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 12:40 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

I gave this a spin yesterday because I saw your post.  In fairness, I'm not the biggest PF fan.  I only listen to DSotM forward, and my favorite album of theirs is The Wall, which proves I'm not a "real fan."

Not bad.  I'm not sure I see the concept behind it, even after reading the Wikipedia explanation.  Maybe if they had made a movie, like they did for The Wall, it would be clearer.  My opinion, and that's obviously all it is, is that Waters is not as smart as he perceives himself to be, so I think he got a little too into the idea that albums have to have a concept.

I always imagined that it was the main character of “The Wall” & “The Final Cut” being frustrated with society and deciding to take his family “off the grid” and dealing with the fallout of wanting but not being able to adjust.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, The Cat 3 said:

This album has really grown on me over the years.

I find myself listening to it more often than a few other Genesis albums.

I never understood how people think it is that far of a stretch to the next couple of albums.

It really is a “pretty” sounding album that was marketed as “baroque pop”.

I only rarely spin it. I really do find it to be a world away even from its next door neighbor, Tresspass. It is a pretty album, I agree there, but it’s a kind of sheepish and toothless affair compared to the rest of their catalogue. Genesis we’re pretty more often than not, but it was where they got weird and loud and a little ugly at times that really put their prettier passages into relief. There’s not much of that to be found on the debut. It’s pretty much all quaint sing songy melodies and simple piano and guitar accompaniments, with soft flourishes of horns or strings for color. Which is great if you’re into that sort of thing. It’s just most of the time I prefer to hear something with a bit more muscle and weight to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don’t dislike this record, but what liking of it I do have comes down to it being a curiously unassuming start to an otherwise breathtaking discography.

it's not a bad album.  But at the risk of sounding like a stereotypical boob.......NOT GENESIS!!!!!

lol.

Mick

• Like 2

Zeppelin-Houses of the Holy (9/10)

My personal fav zep.  i tell ya.....i'm having a resurgence with Zep i've not had in.......oh ages.

They really made some special music

Mick

• Like 9

Trophy Eyes - Everything Goes Away EP
Trophy Eyes - Mend, Move On
Trophy Eyes - Chemical Miracle
Trophy Eyes - The American Dream
Scene Queen - Bimbocore EP
Scene Queen - BIMBOCORE, Vol. 2 EP
Beauty School Dropout - Boys Do Cry EP
Beauty School Dropout - We Made Plans & God Laughed

The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever (Vinyl)

10 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This! Glad to hear someone feel the same way. A lot of so called hair metal bands are actually straightforward rock n roll, often very blues based.

Cinderella is the best example of this. Of course they went one hundred percent into it with the image so that didn't help at all. But musically there was nothing hair metal about them. I'm not even sure they had to go with that image at all since Bon Jovi helped discover them. Which probably did more for them than the image did.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Cinderella is the best example of this. Of course they went one hundred percent into it with the image so that didn't help at all. But musically there was nothing hair metal about them. I'm not even sure they had to go with that image at all since Bon Jovi helped discover them. Which probably did more for them than the image did.

Agreed. I really like Cinderella and also Great White.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Cat 3 said:

069cb91af7182b1ea56e510e3baab900.jpg

Out of curiosity, I just put this on. Nothing mindblowing, but I really like it 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Out of curiosity, I just put this on. Nothing mindblowing, but I really like it 👍

Brian Setzer is the lead singer and guitarist extraordinaire of the Stray Cats.

If he ever makes it to the UK in whatever format...solo, big band or with the Stray Cats, make a point of attending.

This is his (official) first solo album that came out in 1986.

Very much all-American heartland kind of rock and roll.

He wanted to break away from his rockabilly roots, but I think he was kind of tied by where his passions really lie...rock and roll.

This album is whetting my appetite for a Brian Setzer / Stray Cats marathon.

187222b2e16e04f6ce3f068a0fcbf2a6--stray-cats-milwaukee-wisconsin.jpg

• Like 4