Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's their damn flat ass production.  i don't think i've finished any FW album i've spun.  i just get so bored.

Mick

But the songs are nothing special either. There are a surprising number of albums where I have been drawn back again and again in spite of bad production. Presto, Black Anima, tonnes of grunge and early nineties metal albums...about 80% of everything the last two decades.

But FW have nothing special. Case in point: DT's Awake. Far from my favourite sounding album ever, the songs kept me coming back.

FW? BOOOOOORING!!

• Like 2

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

that's the thing though.  i admit without this record NONE of us would be talking about Toto......who is toto? lol.  BUT.........a Grammy does not a good album make.  and if folk genuinely like it......i bless your Rain's in Africa, lol

Me......I just find this album Incredibly cynical and slick.  It's the same reason Aja's not my fav Steely Dan (though Aja on the whole is a WAY beeter record...so but it just is, lol)

people can dismiss me all they want but this album is a bread on bread sandwich with little meat too it, IMO.

Mick

I totally agree with you Mick :yes:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔Yeah I feel similar about Fates Warning, they are just not in the same league as all the other great bands you mentioned. 

Going off on a tangent , what do you think of It Bites ? 🤔

Off the top of my head, I have no idea what you're referring too, but feel I should

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute

️Amazing album , Randy was even better live than in the studio !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

that's the thing though.  i admit without this record NONE of us would be talking about Toto......who is toto? lol.  BUT.........a Grammy does not a good album make.  and if folk genuinely like it......i bless your Rain's in Africa, lol

Me......I just find this album Incredibly cynical and slick.  It's the same reason Aja's not my fav Steely Dan (though Aja on the whole is a WAY beeter record...so but it just is, lol)

people can dismiss me all they want but this album is a bread on bread sandwich with little meat too it, IMO.

Mick

I think its back to back great pop songs with great arrangements, production and character. I never knowingly heard a Toto song until I was about 20, and Rosanna, Africa and Hold The Line were my first three songs and I loved them all. I bought a box set of their first seven albums and their first live dvd, and was bowled over. IV and Fahrenheit were my initial favourites. IV is to my ears as close to perfection as pop rock gets. Of their first four albums, I think it's their best (though I may some days 100% favour the debut). I listen to IV, and I think it's the first time they released something that sounded start to finish like a fully realised album. 

I totally get though about slickness being a turn off. But I see IV and Christopher Cross's debut as two of the most endearing and enjoyable Grammy winners of their day. 

But to each their own, I have the same feelings with The Seventh One. It feels to much like an effort to manufacture a hit album after disappointing releases. I hear it and it all feels like a IV retread. It's my issue with Taylor Swift's Lover as well, and some say the same with Fleetwood Mac's Mirage (and it is true the band DID try to replicate the feel of Rumours).

I love how our ears all hear things differently! I've also not been familiar with Toto for as long as you, or ever heard them on the radio much. They just kind of popped up put of nowhere in around 2011 (I think) and blew me away. Had I heard the same hits a million times like Queen I think I'd find the hits difficult to digest as well (case in point: American Idiot...hard to hear the album as an album these days, it's like a greatest hits package).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Off the top of my head, I have no idea what you're referring too, but feel I should

‘ It Bites ‘ were/are a pop-rock band with progressive influences ( especially early Genesis )  originally around from ‘86 to ‘90. 
 They made some great music on Richard Brandon’s Virgin Record label.

Their music had the rarity of combining incredibly catchy great melodic hooks with top notch musicianship.

Please check them out via

Spotify/Apple Music as I think you’ll love them 👍😎

Mick will like them too I feel

( being a Toto, Enchant, Genesis fan ) 

Best album I think is 1988’s

’ Once Around the World ‘ 

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Additional info

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I think its back to back great pop songs with great arrangements, production and character. I never knowingly heard a Toto song until I was about 20, and Rosanna, Africa and Hold The Line were my first three songs and I loved them all. I bought a box set of their first seven albums and their first live dvd, and was bowled over. IV and Fahrenheit were my initial favourites. IV is to my ears as close to perfection as pop rock gets. Of their first four albums, I think it's their best (though I may some days 100% favour the debut). I listen to IV, and I think it's the first time they released something that sounded start to finish like a fully realised album. 

I totally get though about slickness being a turn off. But I see IV and Christopher Cross's debut as two of the most endearing and enjoyable Grammy winners of their day. 

But to each their own, I have the same feelings with The Seventh One. It feels to much like an effort to manufacture a hit album after disappointing releases. I hear it and it all feels like a IV retread. It's my issue with Taylor Swift's Lover as well, and some say the same with Fleetwood Mac's Mirage (and it is true the band DID try to replicate the feel of Rumours).

I love how our ears all hear things differently! I've also not been familiar with Toto for as long as you, or ever heard them on the radio much. They just kind of popped up put of nowhere in around 2011 (I think) and blew me away. Had I heard the same hits a million times like Queen I think I'd find the hits difficult to digest as well (case in point: American Idiot...hard to hear the album as an album these days, it's like a greatest hits package).

i will answer by saying......i know you like it.  you don't need to defend it bud:laugh:

man do you write liner notes, lol

Go in peace enjoy IV.

And me and Alex will be here on the other side, lol Also this is why i love music talk in all seriousness i am forever fascinated by how different brains process music.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Interesting analysis Segue , yeah I get where you are coming from 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

But the songs are nothing special either. There are a surprising number of albums where I have been drawn back again and again in spite of bad production. Presto, Black Anima, tonnes of grunge and early nineties metal albums...about 80% of everything the last two decades.

But FW have nothing special. Case in point: DT's Awake. Far from my favourite sounding album ever, the songs kept me coming back.

FW? BOOOOOORING!!

There were plenty of metal albums in the 80s with shit production too. The first two Testament albums come to mind immediately.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

There were plenty of metal albums in the 80s with shit production too. The first two Testament albums come to mind immediately.

oh yea i've said those early testament sound so flat and it DOES block my enjoyment a bit.

Mick

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Exactly. But the songs have me coming back. I actually never had an issues with those albums because i got into the songs immediately. But i learned quickly that recommending them first to curious music listeners was not a good idea. Same with most thrash of the eighties to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Interesting analysis Segue , yeah I get where you are coming from 🙂

Yay! 

• Like 2

There’s an interesting study to be done about when people are able to look past bad production and when they aren’t. Simultaneously, for when people are distracted from lesser songs by great production, and when no amount of great production can save a terrible song.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

There’s an interesting study to be done about when people are able to look past bad production and when they aren’t. Simultaneously, for when people are distracted from lesser songs by great production, and when no amount of great production can save a terrible song.

it depends for me.  like Example....I really do not like Images and Words production.  it's really kinda limp.  BUT every song is banger after banger for me.

on the opposite end.......and keep your feelings aside this is an example, lol.  I think Clockwork Angels is full of OK to bad/annoying songs.  THAN to me you add that dogshit production on top.  the production is all i hear cause the songs aren't there for me to grasp on too. and NOW...i owe myself a listen to CA just to make sure, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

A while back I explored Avantasia, a group that (to be honest) I knew nothing about.  Enjoyed them a good deal and during that exploration I found out they were connected to Edguy - another group i know nothing about.  So decided to give them a try:

Edguy- Vain Glory Opera

Edguy - Theatre of Salvation

Edguy - The Savage Poetry

Dang - I now have to ask the same question that I asked when I listened to Avantasia.  Why don't I get to hear these awesome groups in the US (unless I dig around on Youtube)?  They are not on FM radio or Sirius satellite radio.  This group is really good.

I liked a fair number of songs on the first album but I thought the best 2 were the title track and Out of Control.  From the second album its hard to pick but perhaps Land of the Miracle was the best.  From the 3rd album I liked Eyes of the Tyrant the most.  After thats its hard to pick because there are so many good songs.

I like them much more than Helloween to be honest.

Additional observation - is it just me or does the lead singer sound a lot like Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden.

This is a group I really want to keep exploring  

• Like 2

Count Basie - Basie Straight Ahead

Ornette Coleman - Change Of The Century

Thelonious Monk - Criss-Cross

Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Ellesmere - Wyrd

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

Nektar - Remember The Future

Can’t say I have a narrow taste in music.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I didn't use to notice it much, but it stands out more now I try to listen carefully.  Bruce Springsteen's records are big offenders.  His live recordings and bootlegs are really good and as much as I love his early studio albums they come across as flat in sound (or something!). :laugh:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

A while back I explored Avantasia, a group that (to be honest) I knew nothing about.  Enjoyed them a good deal and during that exploration I found out they were connected to Edguy - another group i know nothing about.  So decided to give them a try:

Edguy- Vain Glory Opera

Edguy - Theatre of Salvation

Edguy - The Savage Poetry

Dang - I now have to ask the same question that I asked when I listened to Avantasia.  Why don't I get to hear these awesome groups in the US (unless I dig around on Youtube)?  They are not on FM radio or Sirius satellite radio.  This group is really good.

I liked a fair number of songs on the first album but I thought the best 2 were the title track and Out of Control.  From the second album its hard to pick but perhaps Land of the Miracle was the best.  From the 3rd album I liked Eyes of the Tyrant the most.  After thats its hard to pick because there are so many good songs.

I like them much more than Helloween to be honest.

Additional observation - is it just me or does the lead singer sound a lot like Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden.

This is a group I really want to keep exploring  

They have an album called Rocket Ride with a track on it called Return To The Tribe ....... great song.

Edited by zepphead

3 hours ago, zepphead said:

They have an album called Rocket Ride with a track on it called Return To The Tribe ....... great song.

I love Edguy! Great album and song! 

I like Edguy and early Avantasia about equal

• Like 2