Song vs song: Maybe I’m Amazed vs. Imagine

Maybe Imagine?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is better?

• Maybe I’m Amazed - Paul McCartney
    • Imagine - John Lennon

To me, Paul McCartney’s greatest song, with or without The Beatles, may very easily be Maybe I’m Amazed. The live version makes it perfectly clear how untouchable this track is, but the studio version is only slightly less incredible. Imagine by John Lennon has often been cited as not only the greatest song Lennon ever penned, but perhaps the greatest song ever written at all. Now, these are bold claims riddled with biases, but I do feel these two immediately post breakup piano ballad masterpieces are worthy of a head to head fight!

• Like 2

When Wonder Woman wanted to remind all the little people how relatable Hollywood stars are and how they feel our pain, did she ask them to sing "Maybe I'm Amazed"? No, she did not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Maybe I'm Amazed", it's a one man show on the solo album and a superior band version on the live album. Great, great vocals.

"Imagine" is basically candy coated Communist Manifesto, Lennon said it. It's a beautiful melody that's overplayed, way overplayed.

Going with Macca on this one.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ReRushed said:

"Maybe I'm Amazed", it's a one man show on the solo album and a superior band version on the live album. Great, great vocals.

"Imagine" is basically candy coated Communist Manifesto, Lennon said it. It's a beautiful melody that's overplayed, way overplayed.

Going with Macca on this one.

:goodone:

• Like 2

For me it's usually Paul over John,  this is no exception. I've always thought Maybe I'm Amazed is just a gorgeous song. 

I think we were in elementary school when it came out. Thought that Paul and Linda were so romantic, moving out to their farm etc etc. Was surprised just a little to read years later in Linda's book that Paul was having horrible depression after the end of the Beatles when they first married and went there. A beautiful song came out of it though!

• Like 2

Where`s the conviction though? Paul starts with "Maybe...", so is he or isn`t he? Make up your damned mind before writing it. And John, he`s expecting me to stop thinking about whatever I`m doing and hypothesise. I resent both approaches. :tongue:

• Haha 4

I had to think about this question for a few minutes.

Maybe I'm Amazed gets my vote.

While Imagine is a great song, it's a bit melancholy for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blueschica said:

For me it's usually Paul over John,  this is no exception. I've always thought Maybe I'm Amazed is just a gorgeous song. 

I think we were in elementary school when it came out. Thought that Paul and Linda were so romantic, moving out to their farm etc etc. Was surprised just a little to read years later in Linda's book that Paul was having horrible depression after the end of the Beatles when they first married and went there. A beautiful song came out of it though!

Paul had Maybe I'm Amazed framed out as early as the Get Back sessions.  It wasn't until John and Yoko appeared on TV performing Instant Karma that it was driven home to Paul that John was serious about the divorce he asked for when they signed their new contract in September 1969.  He promptly buttoned up his chinstrap and prepared Maybe I'm Amazed, That Would Be Something, and Every Night.  

Whenever the studio version of Maybe I'm Amazed comes on the Beatles' Sirius channel and my daughter is in the car with me, I get her to roll her eyes when I ask her, "Who's singing this song?  Who's playing all the guitars on this song?  Who's playing bass on this song?  Who's playing drums on this song?"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Paul had Maybe I'm Amazed framed out as early as the Get Back sessions.  It wasn't until John and Yoko appeared on TV performing Instant Karma that it was driven home to Paul that John was serious about the divorce he asked for when they signed their new contract in September 1969.  He promptly buttoned up his chinstrap and prepared Maybe I'm Amazed, That Would Be Something, and Every Night.  

Whenever the studio version of Maybe I'm Amazed comes on the Beatles' Sirius channel and my daughter is in the car with me, I get her to roll her eyes when I ask her, "Who's singing this song?  Who's playing all the guitars on this song?  Who's playing bass on this song?  Who's playing drums on this song?"

Hey, it's a parent's duty to pass on this important knowledge!  Seriously! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting poll.  I'm partial to Paul's solo stuff and this song, but both are classics and worthy in their own ways.  Imagine captures an era, the context for the song forgotten a bit through time.  I'm a hippie at heart.  I think peace and love is better than whatever alternative (war and profit?) we've landed on nowadays.  The song should still resonate very loudly today, but there's just too much noise from all directions.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3