What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 16 2010, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 16 2010, 02:18 PM)
This horrible epidemic of suicide has hit our town.  A high school freshman in our school district hung himself on Monday night.  The shock waves are only just beginning to rip through this community.  These poor kids, to have to deal with such loss and having to learn what suicide really is and what it really does to someone whom they'll never see again.

I feel so bad for this poor 14 year old who felt that alone, and that much in despair that he would do this to himself.  I have to wonder if in those final moments when it was too late to turn back if he was wishing he hadn't done this.

What's pissing me off is the fact that we're learning the boy's suicide may  be due to bullying because he was biracial.  I mean, have we gone nowhere as a society that this narrow mentality is still so prevalent?  What the f**k are these pin-headed dimwits teaching their children that their actions would drive this kid over the edge like that?  What's pissing me off even more, is that the school won't even allow these grieving kids to openly discuss it.  They are being silenced in class and told to speak in private only to a grief counselor if they feel it necessary.  That's total bullshit to me. 

Everything is a Facebook page nowadays, and there is a FB page dedicated to this kid's memory.  In it, I saw a parent write that this tragedy has given her the "courage" to tell her kids she loves them and tell them to stand up for themselves as well as others if they are unable.  I suppose that's noble, yet at the same time I can't help but wonder why she wasn't teaching this to her children all their lives.  It took THIS to tell them you love them, and start teaching them to stand up for themselves?  Maybe this is why we're in such an epidemic of kids hurting themselves, because parents aren't talking to them!  I thought this would have been something we'd be trying to teach to our children from the time they were old enough to talk.  Please, I hope we're ALL teaching our children that we're always here to help them, and love them, and listen to them, and build them up to realize they are always worth more than what some lowlife may try to bring them down to feel like. 

Sorry, I'm rambling - but this awful tragedy has me a bit rattled.  I can't believe I have to comfort my children about this, and have them see so up-close what suicide really is, and what it really does.  This isn't something we're watching on the news at home, it's happening AT their home, in the town where they live.  Perhaps this will help us in teaching them that this is never, ever the answer.

I hope this family somehow gets through this, and I hope this community learns a lesson about tolerance and acceptance.

This is terrible. Our boy, Gary, had to deal with this in high school, when his best friend committed suicide. No one saw it coming. It's affected him, negatively, for years now. The school offered nothing, if my memory is correct. No grief counseling or anything.

It's sad that this is going on at all, never mind in such epidemic proportions. We all, as parents, really need to step up our communication with our kids. This can happen to anyone. sad.gif

Sorry for what your family and community are now going through my friend. hug2.gif

That's complete BS that school policy won't allow the kids to talk about it among themselves. When my sister committed suicide, I ONLY wanted to talk to family and friends at first, not some stranger who was getting paid to be objective. Not that counselors don't have a place, but being able to share with those close to you is so important.

Are they afraid it might give the other kids "ideas"???? That's all I can come up with, and it's a ridiculous rationalization if that is their reason.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 16 2010, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 16 2010, 02:18 PM)
This horrible epidemic of suicide has hit our town.  A high school freshman in our school district hung himself on Monday night.  The shock waves are only just beginning to rip through this community.  These poor kids, to have to deal with such loss and having to learn what suicide really is and what it really does to someone whom they'll never see again.

I feel so bad for this poor 14 year old who felt that alone, and that much in despair that he would do this to himself.  I have to wonder if in those final moments when it was too late to turn back if he was wishing he hadn't done this.

What's pissing me off is the fact that we're learning the boy's suicide may  be due to bullying because he was biracial.  I mean, have we gone nowhere as a society that this narrow mentality is still so prevalent?  What the f**k are these pin-headed dimwits teaching their children that their actions would drive this kid over the edge like that?  What's pissing me off even more, is that the school won't even allow these grieving kids to openly discuss it.  They are being silenced in class and told to speak in private only to a grief counselor if they feel it necessary.  That's total bullshit to me. 

Everything is a Facebook page nowadays, and there is a FB page dedicated to this kid's memory.  In it, I saw a parent write that this tragedy has given her the "courage" to tell her kids she loves them and tell them to stand up for themselves as well as others if they are unable.  I suppose that's noble, yet at the same time I can't help but wonder why she wasn't teaching this to her children all their lives.  It took THIS to tell them you love them, and start teaching them to stand up for themselves?  Maybe this is why we're in such an epidemic of kids hurting themselves, because parents aren't talking to them!  I thought this would have been something we'd be trying to teach to our children from the time they were old enough to talk.  Please, I hope we're ALL teaching our children that we're always here to help them, and love them, and listen to them, and build them up to realize they are always worth more than what some lowlife may try to bring them down to feel like. 

Sorry, I'm rambling - but this awful tragedy has me a bit rattled.  I can't believe I have to comfort my children about this, and have them see so up-close what suicide really is, and what it really does.  This isn't something we're watching on the news at home, it's happening AT their home, in the town where they live.  Perhaps this will help us in teaching them that this is never, ever the answer.

I hope this family somehow gets through this, and I hope this community learns a lesson about tolerance and acceptance.

This is terrible. Our boy, Gary, had to deal with this in high school, when his best friend committed suicide. No one saw it coming. It's affected him, negatively, for years now. The school offered nothing, if my memory is correct. No grief counseling or anything.

It's sad that this is going on at all, never mind in such epidemic proportions. We all, as parents, really need to step up our communication with our kids. This can happen to anyone. sad.gif

Sorry for what your family and community are now going through my friend. hug2.gif

Necro, I'm sorry - I didn't know about Gary's best friend. That has to be so tough, even today.

This kid's best friend is on my daughters' school bus and from what they are saying he's just numb. This is such a terrible thing.

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 16 2010, 01:18 PM)
This horrible epidemic of suicide has hit our town. A high school freshman in our school district hung himself on Monday night. The shock waves are only just beginning to rip through this community. These poor kids, to have to deal with such loss and having to learn what suicide really is and what it really does to someone whom they'll never see again.

I feel so bad for this poor 14 year old who felt that alone, and that much in despair that he would do this to himself. I have to wonder if in those final moments when it was too late to turn back if he was wishing he hadn't done this.

What's pissing me off is the fact that we're learning the boy's suicide may be due to bullying because he was biracial. I mean, have we gone nowhere as a society that this narrow mentality is still so prevalent? What the f**k are these pin-headed dimwits teaching their children that their actions would drive this kid over the edge like that? What's pissing me off even more, is that the school won't even allow these grieving kids to openly discuss it. They are being silenced in class and told to speak in private only to a grief counselor if they feel it necessary. That's total bullshit to me.

Everything is a Facebook page nowadays, and there is a FB page dedicated to this kid's memory. In it, I saw a parent write that this tragedy has given her the "courage" to tell her kids she loves them and tell them to stand up for themselves as well as others if they are unable. I suppose that's noble, yet at the same time I can't help but wonder why she wasn't teaching this to her children all their lives. It took THIS to tell them you love them, and start teaching them to stand up for themselves? Maybe this is why we're in such an epidemic of kids hurting themselves, because parents aren't talking to them! I thought this would have been something we'd be trying to teach to our children from the time they were old enough to talk. Please, I hope we're ALL teaching our children that we're always here to help them, and love them, and listen to them, and build them up to realize they are always worth more than what some lowlife may try to bring them down to feel like.

Sorry, I'm rambling - but this awful tragedy has me a bit rattled. I can't believe I have to comfort my children about this, and have them see so up-close what suicide really is, and what it really does. This isn't something we're watching on the news at home, it's happening AT their home, in the town where they live. Perhaps this will help us in teaching them that this is never, ever the answer.

Similar events have occurred in my area.

The most recent was a 19-year-old was driving drunk around my town, he had a 17-year-old friend in the passenger seat.

He ended up crashing the car and his friend, the passenger, died.

He (the driver) only suffered minor injuries.

It's horrible.

In fact there are now THREE kids (all teenagers) who have died in a timespan of two years.

All of them went to my high school and even worse is the same girl, at various points, dated all three of the boys who passed away.

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 16 2010, 12:18 PM)
This horrible epidemic of suicide has hit our town. A high school freshman in our school district hung himself on Monday night. The shock waves are only just beginning to rip through this community. These poor kids, to have to deal with such loss and having to learn what suicide really is and what it really does to someone whom they'll never see again.

I feel so bad for this poor 14 year old who felt that alone, and that much in despair that he would do this to himself. I have to wonder if in those final moments when it was too late to turn back if he was wishing he hadn't done this.

What's pissing me off is the fact that we're learning the boy's suicide may be due to bullying because he was biracial. I mean, have we gone nowhere as a society that this narrow mentality is still so prevalent? What the f**k are these pin-headed dimwits teaching their children that their actions would drive this kid over the edge like that? What's pissing me off even more, is that the school won't even allow these grieving kids to openly discuss it. They are being silenced in class and told to speak in private only to a grief counselor if they feel it necessary. That's total bullshit to me.

Everything is a Facebook page nowadays, and there is a FB page dedicated to this kid's memory. In it, I saw a parent write that this tragedy has given her the "courage" to tell her kids she loves them and tell them to stand up for themselves as well as others if they are unable. I suppose that's noble, yet at the same time I can't help but wonder why she wasn't teaching this to her children all their lives. It took THIS to tell them you love them, and start teaching them to stand up for themselves? Maybe this is why we're in such an epidemic of kids hurting themselves, because parents aren't talking to them! I thought this would have been something we'd be trying to teach to our children from the time they were old enough to talk. Please, I hope we're ALL teaching our children that we're always here to help them, and love them, and listen to them, and build them up to realize they are always worth more than what some lowlife may try to bring them down to feel like.

Sorry, I'm rambling - but this awful tragedy has me a bit rattled. I can't believe I have to comfort my children about this, and have them see so up-close what suicide really is, and what it really does. This isn't something we're watching on the news at home, it's happening AT their home, in the town where they live. Perhaps this will help us in teaching them that this is never, ever the answer.

Oh my God...

I wish I could say I was a total stranger to this kind of situation, but unfortunately I'm not. Just a few years ago (some of you may have heard of the "Von Maur Mall Shooting" here in Omaha) a young man took I believe five lives in a local Von Maur and then his own. He was severely depressed and had a number of other mental health issues, but I couldn't help but think that someone could have done something for him. Someone always can. Countless lives have been saved just because someone was there for whatever individual.

Even more recently I was on a mission trip and we went up to a Native American reservation in North Dakota. The town we stayed in had a rather infamous nickname: The "Suicide Capitol" of America. What's worse, though, is that two suicides occurred in just the four days we were staying there. One of our guest speakers had to cancel for one of those.

I mean, how tragic that people can be drawn to the conclusion that death is the only way out of pain. Makes you wonder what's so wrong with our world that something like that could happen.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 16 2010, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 16 2010, 12:18 PM)

Oh my God...

I wish I could say I was a total stranger to this kind of situation, but unfortunately I'm not. Just a few years ago (some of you may have heard of the "Von Maur Mall Shooting" here in Omaha) a young man took I believe five lives in a local Von Maur and then his own. He was severely depressed and had a number of other mental health issues, but I couldn't help but think that someone could have done something for him. Someone always can. Countless lives have been saved just because someone was there for whatever individual.

Even more recently I was on a mission trip and we went up to a Native American reservation in North Dakota. The town we stayed in had a rather infamous nickname: The "Suicide Capitol" of America. What's worse, though, is that two suicides occurred in just the four days we were staying there. One of our guest speakers had to cancel for one of those.

I mean, how tragic that people can be drawn to the conclusion that death is the only way out of pain. Makes you wonder what's so wrong with our world that something like that could happen.

Well, it's easy to say that someone could have helped. But I don't think that's always true. Some people are smart enough to know how to hide the usual "warning signs". My sister, for example. She had 2 attempts and no one ever saw either one coming. Yes, she was depressed (major health issues - who wouldn't be) - but no one had a clue that she was planning to take her own life. Even in hindsight we all agree that Amy just hid all of the signs.

Regardless, it is so sad. I remember when I was a sophomore in high school I had a friend whose seventh grade brother ate dinner with the family, helped clean up, and then went in his room and shot himself. He'd been bullied incessantly at school all year, apparently. My friend felt guilty for years after because she'd been teasing him at dinner that night. She thought it was her fault.

OH many many things pissed me off today...work, customers at work, possibly not having off Christmas Eve (but lucky I still do now biggrin.gif ), my car decide to crap out on me so my fiance (who's a sweetie wub.gif ) had to come all the way from home to come fix it, I felt bad for ruining his day.....just a huge multitude of things...but in the end...everything turned for the good smile.gif

Do not leave canned soda in your car in wintertime.

I go to get into the car this a.m. and I notice little ice crystals inside the car. I'm thinking hmm that's strange, my windows are closed.

and then I looked in the back seat -

one can of diet cola with lime exploded all over the inside of my car - amber ice pebbles everywhere!!! ohmy.gif

so I was about a half hour later than I usually am to get to work today...

Glad it wasn't regular soda, or everthing would be sticky tongue.gif

So they had a special lunch today for the kids and teachers, and there wasn't anything on the menu that I could eat(and the cooks and staff are aware that I have food allergies.)

I'm glad I brought my own lunch, but how special is that? I bring my lunch every day!

Finding too many books that had not been dotted or even tagged. All in my sections- ok, so I have several to shelve. Not entirely my fault- I did very little tagging. And we were supposed to be hunting for untagged/undotted books. But I fear I will be blamed for this. One colleague treats me like a teenager sad.gif

There's a substitute teacher at my school who is the weirdest guy ever. Today we had him for a class and everyone was quietly doing their work. He then asked a girl if he could use her phone to take a picture of the class and text it to himself. When she asked why, he said for "personal reasons". He got pissed and then said it was to send to his friends who are teachers to show them how well behaved we were. The whole thing seemed suspicious, and a bunch of us decided that we should tell another teacher because this was just awkward. What pissed me off was this isn't the first time something like this happened with the same guy. The guy acts like a sex offender yet the school keeps him. On Monday we are talking to the administration.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 17 2010, 09:17 PM)
There's a substitute teacher at my school who is the weirdest guy ever. Today we had him for a class and everyone was quietly doing their work. He then asked a girl if he could use her phone to take a picture of the class and text it to himself. When she asked why, he said for "personal reasons". He got pissed and then said it was to send to his friends who are teachers to show them how well behaved we were. The whole thing seemed suspicious, and a bunch of us decided that we should tell another teacher because this was just awkward. What pissed me off was this isn't the first time something like this happened with the same guy. The guy acts like a sex offender yet the school keeps him. On Monday we are talking to the administration.

That does sound suspicious. Make sure your parents raise a fuss too.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 17 2010, 10:17 PM)

Do you really see taking a picture of the class as proof of his being a sex offender? Now, if he were taking pictures of a specific girl (or guy), then that might be suspicious behavior.

Be very careful about this. If you jump to conclusions and wrongly accuse this guy of something, you could destroy his career and life.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. If the substitute teacher were female and asked to do the same thing, would you have the same suspicions?

2. Is the teacher making inappropriate requests from individual students? in private? If not, then you don't have much evidence of any misconduct.

3. Have you explained to the substitute teacher exactly why you and your fellow students see his behavior as "awkward"? TALK TO THE TEACHER IN PERSON. Inform him of your apprehensions and explain why - in a NON-accusational manner.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Dec 19 2010, 11:19 AM)

Do you really see taking a picture of the class as proof of his being a sex offender? Now, if he were taking pictures of a specific girl (or guy), then that might be suspicious behavior.

Be very careful about this. If you jump to conclusions and wrongly accuse this guy of something, you could destroy his career and life.

1. If the substitute teacher were female and asked to do the same thing, would you have the same suspicions?

2. Is the teacher making inappropriate requests from individual students? in private? If not, then you don't have much evidence of any misconduct.

3. Have you explained to the substitute teacher exactly why you and your fellow students see his behavior as "awkward"? TALK TO THE TEACHER IN PERSON. Inform him of your apprehensions and explain why - in a NON-accusational manner.

But this guy now has this particular girl's phone number, because he used her phone.

I'm a teacher. We're told over and over not to do stuff like this...

and I'm suspicious.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Dec 20 2010, 08:43 PM)

But this guy now has this particular girl's phone number, because he used her phone.

and I'm suspicious.

Well, today myself and a few other students talked to him in private, and our parents called the school. We didn't accuse him, but simply said that we were uncomfortable with what he had done and asked him why he had wanted a picture. He got extremely mad and said it was to show to his friends who are teachers who work out of state and it was a mistake. Now he won't talk to any of us, and refuses to make eye contact. The teachers and administration are well informed and talked to him today, and I don't know how they will deal with this. I'd hate to have this guy loose his job if it was just a simple mistake.

As far as I know, he hasn't made any innappropriate requests.

Also, even though I'm a straight guy, I would be a little suspicious if a female teacher wanted my phone to take a picture to send to her friends.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Dec 21 2010, 10:43 AM)

and I'm suspicious.

Too right.

Besides, there should already be rules in place that wouldn't permit him to even do that. Such rules are to protect the kids, the school (from blame), and [in a sense] the teacher (from being blamed of anything too)

People that talk to tech support really need to calm down, I am pretty sure I did not cause your internet to break.

I came home with a cold (maybe flu) as a souvenir. NOT what I had in mind.... angry.gif