The Cassette Comeback?

Laurabw

What is with everyone offering cassettes now, along with vinyl and CD? Did I wake up in 1985?

But seriously, if they start putting a tape player back in cars, then I am all in.

• Like 7

What is with everyone offering cassettes now, along with vinyl and CD? Did I wake up in 1985?

But seriously, if they start putting a tape player back in cars, then I am all in.

Cassettes were my first form of music listening. most guys here had vinyl....so did I.....BUT i loved cassettes.

so many memories with my little walkman, lol and Cassettes still had the concept of sides. and i love the idea of sides. fukk......i'd buy cassettes again.

Mick

• Like 5

Yes, exactly! And memories of J Geils Band "River Blindness" ending midway through the instrumental section because the tape ran out and I guess I didn't have enough room on the other side for the whole song and then the rest. Good times, lol. Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 2

Cassettes were my first form of music listening. most guys here had vinyl....so did I.....BUT i loved cassettes.

so many memories with my little walkman, lol and Cassettes still had the concept of sides. and i love the idea of sides. fukk......i'd buy cassettes again.

Mick

Cassettes were portable, moderately durable, relatively affordable, and allowed for longer play times that LPs or early CDs -- I'm still not sure why they went away! It's true the art and liner notes were small af. Such is the hard calculus of corporate decisions.

As for why, hipster irony?

• Like 6

Yes, exactly! And memories of J Geils Band "River Blindness" ending midway through the instrumental section because the tape ran out and I guess I didn't have enough room on the other side for the whole song and then the rest. Good times, lol.

and yard sales back then were the shit. some people would just have last miles of cassetes lying out on the lawn.

man those were fun times.

i had cassettes even from artists i didn't listen too, lol. it could become an obsessive hobby.

Mick

• Like 4

Mick

Cassettes were portable, moderately durable, relatively affordable, and allowed for longer play times that LPs or early CDs -- I'm still not sure why they went away! It's true the art and liner notes were small af. Such is the hard calculus of corporate decisions.

As for why, hipster irony?

you ever try too cart an LP around, lol Cassette's were some much easier to bring to friends houses.

AND you'd trade with friends. ones they had and you didn't and vice versa.

Mick

• Like 1

I don't think cassettes are really making a serious comeback. Some bands started doing this for nostalgia purposes over the last five years or so. I first noticed local and lesser known bands selling them at shows. They're probably cheaper to produce than a CD for bands that don't have huge funds. Also, it's another revenue stream to tap into. I have noticed more high profile bands starting to do it recently. If people are nostalgic about that format and are willing to buy new releases that way then why shouldn't they do it.

I love cassettes. When I first started collecting albums all my favorite bands I had on on cassette first. Rush, Maiden, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Ozzy, Dio, Megadeth, AC/DC I had it all on cassette first. I haven't bought any new releases on cassette though.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

I don't think cassettes are really making a serious comeback. Some bands started doing this for nostalgia purposes over the last five years or so. I first noticed local and lesser known bands selling them at shows. They're probably cheaper to produce than a CD for bands that don't have huge funds. Also, it's another revenue stream to tap into. I have noticed more high profile bands starting to do it recently. If people are nostalgic about that format and are willing to buy new releases that way then why shouldn't they do it.

I love cassettes. When I first started collecting albums all my favorite bands I had on on cassette first. Rush, Maiden, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Ozzy, Dio, Megadeth, AC/DC I had it all on cassette first. I haven't bought any new releases on cassette though.

Maybe cause i was younger but i found i memorized albums easier on Cassette. 2 sides more digestible. i loved the decks inn cars that would flip the tapes over endlessly, lol

Mick

• Like 4

I Googled and there's lots of articles about it. But unlike vinyl, I'm not seeing how we're supposed to be playing all these new tapes coming out. I mean, are there new Walkmans out there? Or do we have to buy some separate components for all this? I want it IN MY CAR DAMMIT!! Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 2

I Googled and there's lots of articles about it. But unlike vinyl, I'm not seeing how we're supposed to be playing all these new tapes coming out. I mean, are there new Walkmans out there? Or do we have to buy some separate components for all this? I want it IN MY CAR DAMMIT!!

i dunno but i still have a working full sized player in my closet. i know it works i use it on occasion if i'm missing better days, lol lost my walkman though

Mick

• Like 1

Even when I started moving over to CDs the car I drove still had just a tape player in it. So, I would buy packs of 120 minute blank cassettes and dub the CD so I could still hear it in the car. If a CD was less than 60 mins and fit on one side, DOUBLE ALBUM BABY!

Best thing ever!

• Like 4

I think cassettes are making a comeback off of the audience that started buying vinyl for the cool factor when they saw that was making a comeback. So it's driven by a different demand than the vinyl resurgence, hence why cassette players aren't more readily available. My parents always said cassettes just gave out way too easily, so I never have gotten much into them. I do have a handful of them, and they are neat, but I never listen to them. I actually have my dad's old CD/casette/radio boombox now, so I could play them if I wanted!

Also Muse's super deluxe version of their new album comes with three different colored cassette copies... so for whatever reason they are selling again.

• Like 1

I think cassettes are making a comeback off of the audience that started buying vinyl for the cool factor when they saw that was making a comeback. So it's driven by a different demand than the vinyl resurgence, hence why cassette players aren't more readily available. My parents always said cassettes just gave out way too easily, so I never have gotten much into them.

I'm not contradicting your mom & dad, but that wasn't my experience with cassettes. As long as I cleaned the heads on my player periodically and kept shit off the tape itself, my tapes lasted for years and years (still have many). My Justice For All tape (one of the clear ones, remember those?), lost all the print on both sides from all the handling, but the tape kept playing just fine. Cheap equipment could gum the tape up and create knots and snarls, but, again, that was avoidable.

• Like 4

anybody ever record off the radio? god the feels, lol

Mick

All the time back then!

• Like 4

I used to record vinyl mixes on my cassette tapes! ... very portable and personal media indeed!

That was a lot of fun, I used to do it as well! They were nice to have for the car.

In the mid 80's a friend asked me to record mixes on cassettes for her homegrown wedding reception. We had a lot of fun and fortunately they are still married! :) :)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

I Googled and there's lots of articles about it. But unlike vinyl, I'm not seeing how we're supposed to be playing all these new tapes coming out. I mean, are there new Walkmans out there? Or do we have to buy some separate components for all this? I want it IN MY CAR DAMMIT!!

You will have to try the thing we used to do with a Discman (we alway have old cars. :lol:) where you plug a Walkman into the AUX port and it plays that way for you. If Walkmans even have a port for an AUX cord? I can't quite remember.

I feel ya though. We live near Gettsyburg and one time we bought this narrated driving tour of the battle on cassette. It turned out to be really, really well done! :) I was sad when we had visitors that wanted the tape and their car didn't have a cassette player anymore.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

i love this thread it's bringing back so many memories. on my 8th birthday i got Billy Joel's Stranger on Cassette, Me being young and not aware he had a career 2 decades running at the time. i thought it was his new album, lol.

i played the crap out of that tape.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

Cassettes don't interest me but any form of music buying has my support!

I have Lacuna Coil's Delirium on cassette.

• Like 1

I've gotten rid of so many tapes over the years because I bought the CDs. But of course I just can't get rid of my own special mixes or stuff I recorded off the radio. Or Bobby Sherman singing "Stephanie" on the Partridge Family back in 1977, lol, with my dog barking in the background!!
  • Like 4

Nostalgia. Humans like to hearken back to the "good" old days and cassettes bring back some of that mentality.

• Like 3