3. 3. Song from each pair

• Tom Petty - Louisiana Rain
    • Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
    • Tom Petty - The Waiting
    • Bob Dylan - Idiot Wind
    • Tom Petty - Running Down A Dream
    • Bob Dylan - Mr. Tamborine Man
    • Tom Petty - It’s Good To Be King
    • Bob Dylan - One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)

Tough choice between these two great artists, but Dylan has a bit more gravitas so I'll go with him. Highway 61 gets the album vote, and Desolation Row would be my song pick. From those listed, The Waiting gets the nod.

Tough choice between these two great artists, but Dylan has a bit more gravitas so I'll go with him. Highway 61 gets the album vote, and Desolation Row would be my song pick. From those listed, The Waiting gets the nod.

No no, you get to vote for one from each pair, not just 1 out of the 8!

I realize Tom has great albums and Bob has great songs, but to me...

Tom is the singles guy, Bob is the albums guy. The Waiting is as perfect a song as has ever been written by anyone, and Blonde On Blonde is as transcendent of an album as has ever been released by anyone.

Tom is the singles guy, Bob is the albums guy. The Waiting is as perfect a song as has ever been written by anyone, and Blonde On Blonde is as transcendent of an album as has ever been released by anyone.

Would Blonde On Blonde be a good place to start for someone who has never heard a Dylan album before?

• Like 1

Would Blonde On Blonde be a good place to start for someone who has never heard a Dylan album before?

The three Dylan albums I would recommend trying (but it is all personal taste) are Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited and Blood On The Tracks.

My own favourite is Blood On The Tracks.

• Like 4

Dylan all the way as an artist.

more prolific more variety. Petty's great at writing straight ahead pop/rock Dylan's just more interesting though.

Fav album in the group: Blood on the Tracks

Fav Song:Like A Rolling Stone.

sorry petty you just don't stack up here.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I had to think about this one for longer than I would have supposed -- and, yes, I did do the voting wrong! One from each pair! Now I get it.

Anyway, I went with Petty as the artist because I felt like Dylan had lower lows. He also had the higher highs, hence the indecision . . .

• Like 2

Sophie's Choice

Petty was more consistent, though. Infidels and Oh Mercy aside, 80s Bob Dylan lost the plot.

I agree with you, but he more than made up for it from "Time Out of Mind" forward...stuff of pure genius.

I really Liked "Empire Burlesque" from 1985.

There are a couple of great highs on those 80s albums, but sadly, there were some dreadful lows as well.

The odd thing is that his live shows were so good during that period.

• Like 2

Blonde on Blonde is great, but it is a double album and might be too much to digest at once.

My recommendations are...

1960's - Highway 61 Revisited

1970's - Blood on the Tracks and/or Street Legal

1980's - Infidels and/or Oh Mercy

1990's - Time Out of Mind

2000's - Love and Theft and/or Tempest

• Like 3

It was roughly my first Dylan album, and I think it's epic. But that one does take a lot of patience. Long double album with long songs that kinda flow together after a while. Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home are probably a lot more accessible.

• Like 1

Choosing Petty is choosing the student over the master. Tom is a whole lot of Dylan meets the Byrds though don't get me wrong there's also plenty of Tom himself in there too. And I do love Tom's music but Dylan is the greatest songwriter of our time.

By the way, I chose Blood over Blonde and Hwy 61 and that was a really, really tough choice.

• Like 1

Choosing Petty is choosing the student over the master. Tom is a whole lot of Dylan meets the Byrds though don't get me wrong there's also plenty of Tom himself in there too. And I do love Tom's music but Dylan is the greatest songwriter of our time.

By the way, I chose Blood over Blonde and Hwy 61 and that was a really, really tough choice.

No no no, you're supposed to pick one from each pair, like each pairing of a Tom Petty album with a Bob Dylan album. You can choose all of the Dylan albums if you want, no need for tough choices between albums of the same artist in this poll!

No no no, you're supposed to pick one from each pair, like each pairing of a Tom Petty album with a Bob Dylan album. You can choose all of the Dylan albums if you want, no need for tough choices between albums of the same artist in this poll!

Oh Ok, I misunderstood. I re-voted and went with Dylan obviously and added Damn and The Waiting for the Tom album and song to go with Rolling Stone and Blood for Bob's song and album.
  • Like 1

Oh Ok, I misunderstood. I re-voted and went with Dylan obviously and added Damn and The Waiting for the Tom album and song to go with Rolling Stone and Blood for Bob's song and album.

No you can still vote more! You should be casting 4 votes in the album poll and 4 more votes in the song poll. Each vote is to decide between the Tom or the Bob song/album which sit one on top of the other, then move on to the next pair down until you’ve cast one vote for each of the four pairs.

So you’re vote could look something like this

Albums:

Damn The Torpedoes > Highway 61 Revisited

Blood On The Tracks > Hard Promises

Bringing It All Back Home > Full Moon Fever

Blonde On Blonde > Wildflowers

Songs:

Like A rolling Stone > Louisiana Rain

The Waiting > Idiot Wind

Mr. Tamborine Man > Running Down A Dream

One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) > It’s Good To Be King

So, I listened to Highway 61 and Blonde On Blonde for the first time and I really enjoyed them. He's definitely an artist I will really need to take my time with in exploring. His lyrics certainly require a detailed and extensive deep dive. Sometimes I can't tell if his lyrics are pure genius or complete nonsense but they draw me in no matter what he's trying to say. I one hundred percent understand the praise Dylan gets now.

Also, I never knew that Everybody Must Get Stoned is really titled Rainy Day Women lol.

• Like 4

So, I listened to Highway 61 and Blonde On Blonde for the first time and I really enjoyed them. He's definitely an artist I will really need to take my time with in exploring. His lyrics certainly require a detailed and extensive deep dive. Sometimes I can't tell if his lyrics are pure genius or complete nonsense but they draw me in no matter what he's trying to say. I one hundred percent understand the praise Dylan gets now.

Also, I never knew that Everybody Must Get Stoned is really titled Rainy Day Women lol.

Dylan paint's great pictures with his words......sometimes you don't know what da fukk those pictures are, lol

but he just has a way of immersing you in a song.

Mick

• Like 3