Who has/had the best worst album (min 5 of new music)?

laughedatbytime

Doors - Soft Parade

That's a great album.

:unsure:

It's a pretty bad album. But the Doors have released two official albums that are far worse.

Yep, should have just hung it up after L.A. Woman.

They did, really. I wouldn't count that later stuff, sans Jim, for the purposes of this thread

Also, The Beatles. Did they ever make a bad album? I haven't heard all those early ones, but seriously, it's The Beatles, how bad could it reasonably be?

If you don't count the Yellow Submarine soundtrack which has an entire side of orchestral (background) music and is therefore only half a Beatles album, the answer is a resounding 'NO" they did not make a bad album. If you count only the side that is Beatles music, the answer is still a resounding "NO".

• Like 2

Also, The Beatles. Did they ever make a bad album? I haven't heard all those early ones, but seriously, it's The Beatles, how bad could it reasonably be?

Album? Try “song.” :)

Post of the year

Edited by driventotheedge

Deep Purple -- Who Do We Think We Are [limited to Mks 1-4 for continuity]

The Battle Rages On?

Yeah, I probably picked a band with too many weak albums to have "the one weak spot" in the discography, but I thought if I limited it to pre-break-up (1968-1976) that would work. During that period they had peaks with few valleys, but the 1984-present DP has valleys with a few peaks.

So they have to have at least 5 albums, and the worst of them has to still be excellent.

Some people will agree with me when I say what I always say: Queen - Hot Space

What about flash gordon?

Well if it must count, then I suppose it goes last. But I’d argue it’s much more interesting than people give it credit for. If Brian Zeno had done it instead of Queen, it would’ve been received as one of his more acclaimed works.

• Like 1

Tough call this. Hard to look past The Beatles or Zeppelin here. Bands that split in their prime and never reunited are at a distinct advantage.

With that in mind I'll add The Smiths, or did they not make enough albums?...

• Like 1

So they have to have at least 5 albums, and the worst of them has to still be excellent.

Some people will agree with me when I say what I always say: Queen - Hot Space

What about flash gordon?

Well if it must count, then I suppose it goes last. But I’d argue it’s much more interesting than people give it credit for. If Brian Zeno had done it instead of Queen, it would’ve been received as one of his more acclaimed works.

Just wondering how you rated it. I can only recall the title track. Mighr have to give it another listen

• Like 1

Bands that split in their prime and never reunited are at a distinct advantage.

Good point though I will say Ozzy Sabbath rescued their legacy with 13 in my eyes since both Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die weren't up to the level of the first 6 albums. I really feel like 13 is.

• Like 1

Opeth - Pale Communion

That’s their worst? It’s one of the only Opeth albums I have and I think it’s fantastic!

Opeth - Pale Communion

That’s their worst? It’s one of the only Opeth albums I have and I think it’s fantastic!

To be honest, I'm not sure what their worst is! I've only got a couple of their full-on prog ones like this and they're great but a departure from the Death Metal/Camel/<Porcupine Tree?> mash-up that Mikeal's was developing over the years.

I only put PC because an online ranking listed this as the worst which I found surprising. Went with it because I love all their albums.

The early albums like Orchid etc are obviously them developing but are still pretty assured.

Mikeal A's has a dry sense of humour and usually downplays some of the early songs as embarrassing black metal lyrics but they're still fun songs to listen to.

He has a wide set of influences it seems ranging from Black Metal (not my fave genre), Old school NWOBHM, prog rock and then all the way through to delicate folk albums by female singer-songwriters. Has obviously influenced the way the band's music has slid into full on prog rock.

• Like 1

Opeth - Pale Communion

Got to say that if you've not heard death metal growling singing or you don't like it then you might find some of the early albums a shock.

I'm not an expert on death metal but of all the samples I've heard, Opeth seem to be the only band which has the most tasteful 'growl's' (IMO) interspersed by moments of beautiful (if that's the right word), 'normal' singing. All done by Mikeal A. How he changes from one to the other baffles me.

Check out The Drapery Falls for a more accessible version of the variations in singing in one song

• Like 1

Opeth - Pale Communion

Got to say that if you've not heard death metal growling singing or you don't like it then you might find some of the early albums a shock.

I'm not an expert on death metal but of all the samples I've heard, Opeth seem to be the only band which has the most tasteful 'growl's' (IMO) interspersed by moments of beautiful (if that's the right word), 'normal' singing. All done by Mikeal A. How he changes from one to the other baffles me.

Check out The Drapery Falls for a more accessible version of the variations in singing in one song

Well I've also got Blackwater Park, and I agree the growling seems to work to better the record rather than distract from the music. It kinda becomes one with the riffle. But I've still revisited Pale Communion more. I'm just a sucker for some old school prog done well.

• Like 1

dont know how many users on here are familiar with this band

The Strokes - Angles

I love Is This It, and Room On Fire rocks too. Haven't heard the rest aside from a song or two.