Snakes & Arrows (2007): Songs Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

22 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• Far Cry
    • Armor And Sword
    • Workin' Them Angels
    • The Larger Bowl
    • Spindrift
    • The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way The Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Far Cry
    • Armor And Sword
    • Workin' Them Angels
    • The Larger Bowl
    • Spindrift
    • The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way The Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On

Ok. S & A has many songs that I want to be played in my memorial. The album has given me consolation, hope and strength when I had it very tough, as have many other Rush albums (especially 2112, Signals & CP + HYF, Hemispheres, MP, AFTK). There's something in S & A that has helped me a lot but it is not easy to explain it. It has controversial energies, bittersweet moments, and again... hope.

I: Armor and Sword

E: Spindrift

Permanent Waves called and said "Have I not offered you anything? I`m the best of them all" :eh:

I might want S&A played at my memorial, but only to disperse the attendees.

I`m sure they`ll both let the songs play, out of respect :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

Ok. S & A has many songs that I want to be played in my memorial. The album has given me consolation, hope and strength when I had it very tough, as have many other Rush albums (especially 2112, Signals & CP + HYF, Hemispheres, MP, AFTK). There's something in S & A that has helped me a lot but it is not easy to explain it. It has controversial energies, bittersweet moments, and again... hope.

Permanent Waves called and said "Have I not offered you anything? I`m the best of them all" :eh:

I`m sure they`ll both let the songs play, out of respect :laughing guy:

Hey!

• Like 1

I re-listened to this album prior to the voting and rated the songs relative to each other.

Top tier:

1st--Far Cry

2nd-Malignant and Monkey Biz

3rd-Hope

4th-Armor

5th-Workin', Wind Blows, Hold On

6th-Larger Bowl, Good News

7th-Spindrift

8th-Faithless and Bravest

The biggest climb up the charts was We Hold On, Alex brought me around by after I paid attention.

The biggest drop was Larger Bowl.

I agree with the idea that I loved the sound when I first heard the album, but repeated listens dropped the album for me overall (the exact opposite to my feeling on Vapor Trails.) BTW, the album still sounds great. That's why the instrumentals are so highly ranked here. They sound great. Even 'Hope', as spare as it is, I simply prefer to most other tracks.

Another listen might shake the ranking up more.

To be fair to S&A, a lot of the tempos would fit well for a funeral march
  • Like 1

Which one to choose, is there a 13 song ejector seat choice?

Nope. Much like the album, this set of polls will seem interminable.

You could always skip voting for this album, like I did with most of the Vapor Trails one. I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm for having to remember what some of those songs went like, so I didn't bother

I thought you were the biggest Vapor Trails fan on the forum. A Vapor Boy! In fact my RUSH nickname for you is Peaceable Lion Kingdom!

:o Take that back!
  • Like 1

While I agree with everyone so far saying that it's not that good... I still think it's waaaay better than Vapor Trails

Your profile says about no island being a man, but I`m not sure that works with the Isle of Man being only a few miles west of you :smash:

Good point... but it's the strangest looking man I ever saw
  • Like 2

To be fair to S&A, a lot of the tempos would fit well for a funeral march

That's how the magic works. Especially attracting when your only sparks of joy come from updating your playlist for your memorial.

Edited by Sun & Moon

Which one to choose, is there a 13 song ejector seat choice?

Nope. Much like the album, this set of polls will seem interminable.

You could always skip voting for this album, like I did with most of the Vapor Trails one. I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm for having to remember what some of those songs went like, so I didn't bother

I thought you were the biggest Vapor Trails fan on the forum. A Vapor Boy! In fact my RUSH nickname for you is Peaceable Lion Kingdom!

:o Take that back!

:no: :lol:

• Like 1

I choose to eliminate Hope ... cos it's hopeless. But then again so are most of the songs on S&A. Edited by zepphead

Wait, two people voted to eliminate the instrumental Hope before Good News First, Bravest Face, Larger Bowl...?

The instrumentals, Working Them Angels, and Far Cry are about it for me here. In that order.

• Like 2

Wait, two people voted to eliminate the instrumental Hope before Good News First, Bravest Face, Larger Bowl...?

The instrumentals, Working Them Angels, and Far Cry are about it for me here. In that order.

The instrumentals saved this album.

• Like 2

Listening to the album right now and I'm having flashbacks to the tour...where the audience stood glassy-eyed and confused while the band played dirge after dirge to start the second set. Never has Subdivisions gotten a more enthusiastic crowd reaction then when its opening chords rang out after the band finished The Way The Wind Blows to close the 5-song S&A mini-set.
  • Like 1

The Main Monkey Business is on right now. :haz:

I love Alex's tone in the solo at 2:50. One of my favorites of his.

• Like 3

Now it's time to do the most hated album on TRF.

I don't hate S&A at all. It has a few good songs on the album.

On first hearing the album, I hated it. Then Rugens shamed me into giving it another listen. And the Rush gods did the rest. It became an album I grew fond of.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I will be sad to see Bravest Face go. It is probably top 5 on this album for me.

I definitely understand why people dislike it, but I've always thought it was a nice song, even on first listen, probably because I had heard such wretched tales of it before, and I finally heard it and it wasn't bad at all, then again, that's probably the case with a lot of Rush songs haha.

I think The Main Monkey Business is one of 2 of their worst instrumentals.

I like this album when I'm in the mood for it. Hope, Far Cry, and Workin Them Angels. are some of my favorite Rush songs. But yeah, what Entre Perpetuo said on the first page- on repeated listening, you realize it could have been better. Anyway, I saved Far Cry and dumped Faithless; it's a real downer.
  • Like 1

I like this album when I'm in the mood for it. Hope, Far Cry, and Workin Them Angels. are some of my favorite Rush songs. But yeah, what Entre Perpetuo said on the first page- on repeated listening, you realize it could have been better. Anyway, I saved Far Cry and dumped Faithless; it's a real downer.

Yep, those choices exactly!

• Like 1

Taxi for Hope!! :LMAO: Edited by zepphead

A defibrillator wouldn't even save this album
  • Like 1

A defibrillator wouldn't even save this album

Yeah, but it might be able to revive one of us after listening to it...
  • Like 2