Snakes & Arrows (2007): Songs Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

22 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• Far Cry
    • Armor And Sword
    • Workin' Them Angels
    • The Larger Bowl
    • Spindrift
    • The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way The Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• Far Cry
    • Armor And Sword
    • Workin' Them Angels
    • The Larger Bowl
    • Spindrift
    • The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way The Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On

I'm not a huge fan of this album, but it still has a few tracks I enjoy.

I chose to eliminate Good News First because it's one of the few in their whole catalog where I don't like Geddy's vocals.

The best we can agree on

Is it could have been wooooooooorse

• Like 3

I'm going to immunize Faithless until the end!

It's a testament to the density of the shittiness of this album that it might actually make it out of the first round.

Is it a thing to be embarrassed or proud of, that I can`t recall the tune to at least five of these songs?

You should relisten to em then, lol
  • Like 1

Now it's time to do the most hated album on TRF.

I don't think SnA is more hated than, say RTB. If it is then it's not by a lot. I think the thing with SnA is it seems much better on first few listens than it does when you really sink your teeth into it. The production is great, the songs are often more "Rush-like" than they had been doing in years, there are some longer songs which are almost proggy, some really good instrumentals throughout. The problem comes when you realize a lot of the material on the songwriting front just isn't that great. Some kind of annoying choruses, some uninspired verses, some of Neil's more common lyrical pitfalls, and the issue of Geddy's voice not being the most well suited for the melodies he's writing. I don't think it's a bad album. I could put it on about any day and enjoy most of it.

• Like 3

Is it a thing to be embarrassed or proud of, that I can`t recall the tune to at least five of these songs?

You should relisten to em then, lol

But I don`t want to :boohoo: I`ll stick with Armor and Sword :yes:

Excellent:

1. "Faithless"

2. "The Main Monkey Business"

3. "Far Cry"

4. "Malignant Narcissism"

Great:

5. "We Hold On"

6. "Workin' Them Angels"

7. "Armor And Sword"

Good:

8. "The Larger Bowl"

9. "Good News First"

Could Do Without:

10. "Hope"

11. "Bravest Face"

12. "Spindrift"

13. "The Way The Wind Blows"

Only five? Most of them are completely tuneless.

• Like 2

Excellent:

Far Cry

Good:

The instrumentals (well, maybe not The Main Monkey Business)

Could do without:

The rest

While I agree with everyone so far saying that it's not that good... I still think it's waaaay better than Vapor Trails

Which one to choose, is there a 13 song ejector seat choice?

Nope. Much like the album, this set of polls will seem interminable.

• Like 1

You could always skip voting for this album, like I did with most of the Vapor Trails one. I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm for having to remember what some of those songs went like, so I didn't bother Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

You could always skip voting for this album, like I did with most of the Vapor Trails one. I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm for having to remember what some of those songs went like, so I didn't bother

I thought you were the biggest Vapor Trails fan on the forum. A Vapor Boy! In fact my RUSH nickname for you is Peaceable Lion Kingdom!

• Like 1

Ok. S & A has many songs that I want to be played in my memorial. The album has given me consolation, hope and strength when I had it very tough, as have many other Rush albums (especially 2112, Signals & CP + HYF, Hemispheres, MP, AFTK). There's something in S & A that has helped me a lot but it is not easy to explain it. It has controversial energies, bittersweet moments, and again... hope.

I: Armor and Sword

E: Spindrift

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1

Ok. S & A has many songs that I want to be played in my memorial. The album has given me consolation, hope and strength when I had it very tough, as have many other Rush albums (especially 2112, Signals & CP + HYF, Hemispheres, MP, AFTK). There's something in S & A that has helped me a lot but it is not easy to explain it. It has controversial energies, bittersweet moments, and again... hope.

Permanent Waves called and said "Have I not offered you anything? I`m the best of them all" :eh:
  • Like 1

While I agree with everyone so far saying that it's not that good... I still think it's waaaay better than Vapor Trails

Your profile says about no island being a man, but I`m not sure that works with the Isle of Man being only a few miles west of you :smash:
  • Like 1

Permanent Waves called and said "Have I not offered you anything? I`m the best of them all" :eh:

Yes, she called, spoke beautiful words but in the state I was she wasn't able to point at the most painful in my life, apart from Different Strings. Permanent Waves is round and sophisticated, but I needed a sword.

• Like 1

I might want S&A played at my memorial, but only to disperse the attendees.

• Like 4

I'm reminded again that the limit of LP technology was a blessing. All the 21st century albums could be cut by a third and be stronger for it.

I like S&A, and there are four or five here I can't remember at all.

• Like 1