The 2021 MLB Season Thread! Tatis Jr. Is A Stud! A's Padres World Series! Place Your Betts! LOL!

RUSHHEAD666

One of my favorite baseball memories was Jane Fonda doing the chop then realizing the cameras were on her changing to slapping her leg instead... Almost as good as Clinton at Ron Brown's funeral.
  • Like 1

One of my favorite baseball memories was Jane Fonda doing the chop then realizing the cameras were on her changing to slapping her leg instead... Almost as good as Clinton at Ron Brown's funeral.

I NEVER SAW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just looked it up...

Jane Fonda Gives Up Tomahawk Chop Following Indian Protest

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) _ Jane Fonda promised Saturday to stop doing the ″tomahawk chop″ after American Indians protested at the World Series that mimicking their sacred customs is racist.

″I don’t believe I’ve betrayed their cause,″ the actress and activist said before the first game of the World Series between the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins. ″I support them very much. But I’m sorry it offends them and I’m not going to do it anymore.″

About 250 Indians gathered outside the Metrodome before the game, emphatically but peacefully protesting the way some Atlanta fans wear headdresses, wave tomahawks and mimic a war whoop - all Indian customs. But what may be the unkindest chop of all is the nationally televised participation of Fonda, long perceived as an ally.

Fonda is a fixture at Atlanta games at the side of fiance and Braves owner Ted Turner. She is well-known for her liberal sensitivities. She was arrested in Seattle in 1970 during an American Indian Movement attempt to occupy Fort Lawton.

″We’re pretty upset with her and surprised,″ Clyde Bellecourt, an AIM leader said during the protest.

Bellecourt said the group is trying to get teams like the Braves, the Cleveland Indians and the National Football League’s Washington Redskins to change their names or at least get their fans to stop acting in ways they say demean Indians.

″It’s not so much the names,″ he said. ″It’s the chanting and the chopping.″

Many wore T-shirts saying ″Stop the Chop″ and carried signs characterizing Fonda, Turner and Braves’ fans as racists.

A banner they hung on an outer wall of the Metrodome said: ″Indians Are a People, Not a Mascot for America’s Fun and Games.″

A non-Indian protester questioned Fonda’s loyalty to Indians rights’ and other causes.

″She was with the Vietnam protesters and with other protests for Indian rights,″ Rose Wojnar of St. Paul said. ″Was that just an act, too?″

Braves president Stan Kasten said the team will address the matter, but only after the Series is over.

″We’ve spent our whole lives - everyone in this organization - trying to get where we are right now,″ he said before the game. ″And that’s all we’re going to think about this week.″

Baseball commissioner Fay Vincent agreed that the timing is wrong.

″I will pay attention to the issues,″ Vincent said. ″We need more education and will discuss it after the World Series.″

• Like 1

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) _ Jane Fonda promised Saturday to stop doing the ″tomahawk chop″ after American Indians protested at the World Series that mimicking their sacred customs is racist.

″I don’t believe I’ve betrayed their cause,″ the actress and activist said before the first game of the World Series between the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins. ″I support them very much. But I’m sorry it offends them and I’m not going to do it anymore.″

It's been a whopping 30 years since all that controversy, and the Braves are still the Braves. And it took until two years ago to get rid on the chop.

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

And it took until two years ago to get rid on the chop.

?? Get rid of it? They still do it, and last night featured everyone doing it with their cell phone lights on. They are not only still doing it, they are doing it more enthusiastically than ever!

Maybe Im not understand you.. lol

Dodgers are out. Sad!

:lol:

Some great at bats by the Astros last night.

As for Dodgers pitching, 1-2 with two on and first base open, how is a pitch anywhere near the zone? They did the same vs the Giants to serve one up to Posey. Lol.

• Like 1

Dodgers are out. Sad!

:lol:

Some great at bats by the Astros last night.

As for Dodgers pitching, 1-2 with two on and first base open, how is a pitch anywhere near the zone? They did the same vs the Giants to serve one up to Posey. Lol.

They lost game one and two by a hair on walkoffs; [played with a major part of their starters gone and no Muncy then no Turner at end, they did ok for a team in that shape despite mistakes, and the Braves are playing over their heads. Something tells me Houston is going to beat them - but one never knows if they are playing well or cheating so hard to tell.

• Like 1

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

?? Get rid of it? They still do it, and last night featured everyone doing it with their cell phone lights on. They are not only still doing it, they are doing it more enthusiastically than ever!

I haven't watched any of the Atlanta games -- haven't seen any in a few years, in fact -- so I didn't know they were still doing it.

• Like 1

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

I haven't watched any of the Atlanta games -- haven't seen any in a few years, in fact -- so I didn't know they were still doing it.

Oh ok. Yeah they're still doing it. I foolishly thought that with the Redskins and Cleveland Indians and other switches this would stop. Wrong I was! I see them often because they're in the Phillies division.

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

Oh ok. Yeah they're still doing it. I foolishly thought that with the Redskins and Cleveland Indians and other switches this would stop. Wrong I was! I see them often because they're in the Phillies division.

Georgia, lol.
  • Like 1

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

Georgia, lol.

Their lack of wokeness cost them the All Star Game despite it being a Hank Aaron celebration year. :(

Just looked it up...

JIMMY GOLEN

October 19, 1991

Georgia, lol.

Their lack of wokeness cost them the All Star Game despite it being a Hank Aaron celebration year. :(

And moved it to Colorado, which has more restrictive voting laws than Georgia, and where relatively more economic benefits accrued to people lacking color.

Manfred is such a fuckup...

• Like 1

Interesting data!

https://www.wikiwand...evision_ratings

I enjoybaseball and like to watch the World Series - but literally cannot stomach this one. The only conceivable worse thing woulda been if the Mets made it in...

For the life of me I cannot remember another year that conditions warranted my total avoidance of watching a WS telecast. Including the days of my youth, when the YankMes were the Tiger's hated rivals.

Interesting data!

https://www.wikiwand...evision_ratings

I enjoybaseball and like to watch the World Series - but literally cannot stomach this one. The only conceivable worse thing woulda been if the Mets made it in...

For the life of me I cannot remember another year that conditions warranted my total avoidance of watching a WS telecast. Including the days of my youth, when the YankMes were the Tiger's hated rivals.

I just looked at a list and you are correct. This has never happened. A matchup of literally 28-29 or 30 in my list. And of this years playoff teams, they are literally the LAST two I wanted to see. Boo.

Devil's Advocate Question Of The Day:

Since the Houston Astros are not cheating this year, shouldn't they be praised for being in the World Series? :16ton:

• Like 1

Since the Houston Astros are not cheating this year, shouldn't they be praised for being in the World Series? :16ton:

Yes. And their manager and many of their players had nothing to do with the cheating also; although the ownership should be ashamed to win another one. But yes they are a good ball team, and they deserve credit for being good.

Now that we're here, I simply cant root for ATL. lol

Yes. And their manager and many of their players had nothing to do with the cheating also; although the ownership should be ashamed to win another one. But yes they are a good ball team, and they deserve credit for being good.

How do we know they're not cheating? ;)

I do like Dusty Baker. He's a class act and I would like to think he wouldn't stand for his team cheating, but I wouldn't put it past a few of those core players (Altuve, Correa, et al) who are still there and were part of the scandal to find a way to cheat quietly.

F**k the Astros. I will be rooting for the Braves, even though they should have changed their name and outlawed that chop DECADES ago.

• Like 3

I do like Dusty Baker. He's a class act and I would like to think he wouldn't stand for his team cheating, but I wouldn't put it past a few of those core players (Altuve, Correa, et al) who are still there and were part of the scandal to find a way to cheat quietly.

F**k the Astros. I will be rooting for the Braves, even though they should have changed their name and outlawed that chop DECADES ago.

I do think that the issue of forgiveness (or lack of it) in Baseball is fascinating. From the Astros to Pete Rose to the Steroid Boys all the way back to the Black Sox, the outrage over "dirty players" seems to be eternal.

• Like 1

I cant bring myself to do it. Even though Atlanta has like one champisonship in 100 yrs.. lol

I do think that the issue of forgiveness (or lack of it) in Baseball is fascinating. From the Astros to Pete Rose to the Steroid Boys all the way back to the Black Sox, the outrage over "dirty players" seems to be eternal.

Use steroids in baseball and you are forever tarnished. Use steroids in football and they'll say "OK, so he'll miss Houston, Indy, New Orleans and Jacksonville. We'll be fine."

• Like 1