Jeff Buckley - Grace vs. Radiohead - The Bends

Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

16 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Grace - Jeff Buckley
    • The Bends - Radiohead

I'm not a fan of either but this poll strikes me as very strange.

How so?

What is the connection between the two?

Jeff Buckley was a massive influence on Radiohead, especially Thom Yorke, and especially on The Bends, which came out only about a year after Grace.

Also I think both records operate in a similar sound and headspace. Chock full of very artfully written songs in a folk/rock vein but performed with a healthy dose of experimentation which takes them from simple singer/songwriter albums to something a little more unique and layered.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

I vote for Grace. I love this album.

Jeff Buckley's career could have taken him in any direction if he hadn't been taken so early. A tragic loss.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of either but this poll strikes me as very strange.

How so?

What is the connection between the two?

Jeff Buckley was a massive influence on Radiohead, especially Thom Yorke, and especially on The Bends, which came out only about a year after Grace.

Also I think both records operate in a similar sound and headspace. Chock full of very artfully written songs in a folk/rock vein but performed with a healthy dose of experimentation which takes them from simple singer/songwriter albums to something a little more unique and layered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3adFWKE9JE

I can hear the parallels. There's actually a lot of musical similarities between Grace and The Bends/OK Computer era Radiohead.

• Like 1

Jeff Buckley's cover of 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen is considered the poignant piece on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4

In a way, it gets to the heartstrings like Rob Orbison's duet version of 'Crying' with k.d. lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-EiKPrAOHA

Edited by RushFanForever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PC68rEfF-o

I adore his version of Lilac Wine. It was previously a hit in the UK for Elkie Brooks in 1978. But the Jeff Buckley version is something else!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

grace sucks

But Jeff Buckley died young. Aren't you aware that automatically means he is one of the greatest rock gods of all time and his music is among the best to ever be recorded?

you want a really hot take?

randy rhoads and jimi hendrix eventually would have made.... bad music.

• Like 2

Grace is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I don't really think his dying young has anything to do with how lauded he is. He was already highly praised while he lived.

What a shallow, shallow thing to say.

• Like 1

grace sucks

But Jeff Buckley died young. Aren't you aware that automatically means he is one of the greatest rock gods of all time and his music is among the best to ever be recorded?

you want a really hot take?

randy rhoads and jimi hendrix eventually would have made.... bad music.

Was thinking the same about the Beatles recently. You KNOW it would've gotten bad by the 80s.

Grace is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I don't really think his dying young has anything to do with how lauded he is. He was already highly praised while he lived.

What a shallow, shallow thing to say.

It was a sarcastic comment about how people tend to over praise an artists work when they die young. I don't think I knew who he was before he died so I really can't say how highly praised he was when he was alive. So, anything complimentary about his work has all been things I've heard after he was gone. Thus, the reason for my wise ass comment.

• Like 1