Jeff Buckley - Grace vs. Radiohead - The Bends

Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

16 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Grace - Jeff Buckley
    • The Bends - Radiohead

Grace is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I don't really think his dying young has anything to do with how lauded he is. He was already highly praised while he lived.

What a shallow, shallow thing to say.

It was a sarcastic comment about how people tend to over praise an artists work when they die young. I don't think I knew who he was before he died so I really can't say how highly praised he was when he was alive. So, anything complimentary about his work has all been things I've heard after he was gone. Thus, the reason for my wise ass comment.

but let's be honest. your comment applies to a lot of dead artists. now i don't think it applies to Jeff but there's truth in there for sure.

Mick

• Like 2

Grace is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I don't really think his dying young has anything to do with how lauded he is. He was already highly praised while he lived.

What a shallow, shallow thing to say.

It was a sarcastic comment about how people tend to over praise an artists work when they die young. I don't think I knew who he was before he died so I really can't say how highly praised he was when he was alive. So, anything complimentary about his work has all been things I've heard after he was gone. Thus, the reason for my wise ass comment.

but let's be honest. your comment applies to a lot of dead artists. now i don't think it applies to Jeff but there's truth in there for sure.

Mick

I'll give Grace a listen to see if what I said actually holds any weight.

• Like 2

Humans have a tough time dealing with loss, mainly because it forces us to come face to face with our own mortality. I took the comment as it was intended, and agree that many artists tend to get overblown if/when they die young. But not all (Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, etc were certainly super talented and legitimate losses). Other artists have a good run like Layne Staley and Chris Cornell, and as much as I'm a huge fan of both, it wasn't as much of a shock or "loss" in the sense they had fairly long careers. These distinctions are often muddied, and true 'tragedy' being much rarer than most acknowledge. Neil dying in his 60s isn't a tragedy, for example. 40+ year musical career as a celebrated musician = mournful recognition. Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

I just gave Grace a listen for the first time and it's a good album. Buckley had a unique voice filled with emotion and passion. This is certainly a case of people loving a musician who died because of what could have been (Buckley seriously had a lot of potential) than it is praising an artist simply because they died young. I honestly don't ever see myself having the desire to listen to this album again but it was a good listen nevertheless.
  • Like 3

I just gave Grace a listen for the first time and it's a good album. Buckley had a unique voice filled with emotion and passion. This is certainly a case of people loving a musician who died because of what could have been (Buckley seriously had a lot of potential) than it is praising an artist simply because they died young. I honestly don't ever see myself having the desire to listen to this album again but it was a good listen nevertheless.

i love it but honestly i can count on one hand the times i've actually played the thing. he had a unique talent but it ain't easy to listen to regularly.

Mick

I honestly don't ever see myself having the desire to listen to this album again but it was a good listen nevertheless.

That's how I feel as well. He was objectively good, just not something I connect with.

• Like 1