Covers you think are better than the original....

Mara

I never thought anyone could do "Sound Of Silence" like Simon and Garfunkel. In fact I thought it would be akin to blasphemy for anyone else to even touch it.

Until I heard Disturbed's cover. Not to take anything away from Paul and Art, but Dave Draiman's powerful voice sends chills up my spine and brings tears to my eyes. I love Disturbed anyway, but when I heard they were planning a cover of SOS I kinda thought, well, yeah, guys, not sure about this. But they have more than done justice to this classic. Paul Simon agrees - he congratulated the band after a live performance on The Late Show.

I also think R.E.M. did a great rendition of Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhattan". (Some prefer the Joe Cocker version). Admittedly I haven't ever understood the appeal of Cohen, but I like what R.E.M. did with his song! (I used to be almost as fond of R.E.M. as I am of Rush, but then they got popular and Stipe cleared his throat and they lost their unique Athens - rock edge. But I digress).

Rush has been covered by quite a few bands; while some of these I think are good and I wouldn't turn them off, they're just not Rush, never mind better than.

So....take it away, TRF.

• Like 1

This is an odd one that comes to mind. For years have heard the song "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes (one hit wonders I believe) and I kept thinking who did that originally? I looked it up last month and it was Dionne Warwick and it was a Bert Bacharach tune :eh:. This version is early New Wave so it is kinda catchy...
  • Like 3

This is an odd one that comes to mind. For years have heard the song "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes (one hit wonders I believe) and I kept thinking who did that originally? I looked it up last month and it was Dionne Warwick and it was a Bert Bacharach tune :eh:. This version is early New Wave so it is kinda catchy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrELhxOFnM

I did not know that! One-hit wonders and damn, it wasn't even their song.

Covers I hate (should be another thread), but Gwen Stefani should be shot at sunrise for covering Roxy Music's "More Than This" and Talk Talk's "It's My Life". Both are sacred ground to me and I mourned Mark Hollis' death.

Even worse, some, er, THING....redid "More Than This" as a goddamn country song. Boiling in oil is too good for that person.

• Like 1

This is an odd one that comes to mind. For years have heard the song "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes (one hit wonders I believe) and I kept thinking who did that originally? I looked it up last month and it was Dionne Warwick and it was a Bert Bacharach tune :eh:. This version is early New Wave so it is kinda catchy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrELhxOFnM

I did not know that! One-hit wonders and damn, it wasn't even their song.

Covers I hate (should be another thread), but Gwen Stefani should be shot at sunrise for covering Roxy Music's "More Than This" and Talk Talk's "It's My Life". Both are sacred ground to me and I mourned Mark Hollis' death.

Even worse, some, er, THING....redid "More Than This" as a goddamn country song. Boiling in oil is too good for that person.

I misspoke, they had a couple of other songs that hit the charts here, but they didn't stay around very long..

Anything done by Van Halen during the Roth era.

Big Ten Inch Record by Aerosmith.

Hair of the Dog by Guns N Roses.

Disagree about "Where Have all the Good Times Gone" and "Pretty Woman". Originals are stone cold classics. Can't be bettered.

The second sentence is true. The last one isn’t because the originals weren’t done by Van Halen. :)

Disagree about "Where Have all the Good Times Gone" and "Pretty Woman". Originals are stone cold classics. Can't be bettered.

The second sentence is true. The last one isn’t because the originals weren’t done by Van Halen. :)

I think Diamond Dave paid Orbison appropriate tribute with the VH cover of "Pretty Woman", even though they left out the "oh". Did Orbison ever comment on it?

Lacuna Coil covered Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode, Stars by Dubstar and Live To Tell by Madonna and I love them all more than the original. They also covered Losing My Religion, but I don't think it surpasses REM.

• Like 1

I think Diamond Dave paid Orbison appropriate tribute with the VH cover of "Pretty Woman", even though they left out the "oh". Did Orbison ever comment on it?

I think the VH cover does have (Oh) at the front end.

This is debatable with my post, because these cover versions are great, but I think both the original and cover are great.

I should note that The Rolling Stones perform '[i Can't Get No] Satisfaction' live in concert close to Redding's arrangement featuring horns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y55qpkmLNfc

Ike & Tina Turner's version won a Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals in 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfT9TWAaMY

Both the Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett covers feature the late Duane Allman on slide guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA3pD33ym-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gObMDbdCRG4

The common ground with all these songs is the great horn sections featured.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1