Marathon

Lorraine

and the greatest guitar solo Alex laid down since probably Moving Pictures (yeah, I went there).

The Analog Kid has an issue with your hyperbole.

ah, okay I missed one. Best guitar solo he laid down since Moving Pictures except for TAK

...these posts made Kid Gloves cry... :(

:P

• Like 1

I remember hearing Marathon live for the first time on the Time Machine tour. Because Power Windows wasn't one of my more listened to albums, I was caught off guard when I realized how powerful Marathon is live and in studio! Since then, that song has become a part of my regular Rush playlist.
  • Like 4

I should also mention that when RUSH played in Vancouver on June 30th, 2011 on the Time Machine Tour; this date was near the 30th anniversary of the passing of Terry Fox, which was June 28, 1981.

Even though I was sitting up in the stands near Geddy's side of the stage, I created a mini homemade tribute poster for Terry Fox.

I was holding it while the band played 'Marathon' and reflecting on things.

• Like 1

I remember hearing Marathon live for the first time on the Time Machine tour. Because Power Windows wasn't one of my more listened to albums, I was caught off guard when I realized how powerful Marathon is live and in studio! Since then, that song has become a part of my regular Rush playlist.

Same with me. Power Windows is one of my least favorite Rush albums, so Marathon caught me off guard as well.

and the greatest guitar solo Alex laid down since probably Moving Pictures (yeah, I went there).

The Analog Kid has an issue with your hyperbole.

ah, okay I missed one. Best guitar solo he laid down since Moving Pictures except for TAK

...these posts made Kid Gloves cry... :(

:P

I like Kid Gloves, but that solo doesn't beat out TAK or Marathon to my ears.

I fell in love with this song when I heard it on the Time Machine Tour CD. The synthesizer solo gives me chills, it floats and shimmers and if I close my eyes I feel as if I am there in the audience. Never get tired of listening to it... :heart:
  • Like 4

I fell in love with this song when I heard it on the Time Machine Tour CD. The synthesizer solo gives me chills, it floats and shimmers and if I close my eyes I feel as if I am there in the audience. Never get tired of listening to it... :heart:

I love the quote in your tag..about life being unfair. If we think about it we are so much more blessed than we deserve to be...I have had many great blessings in my life and I try to remember that when things don't go my way.

• Like 1

I took a stab at Marathon on bass guitar for the first time last week, great song. I haven’t figured out how to merge a video track with a direct recording audio track, but here is my humble submission, enjoy.

• Like 1

Synth solo?

Edited by bootruss

I've always liked it as well. The live ASOH version blows away the studio one. Its all in the ending. The album one fades out WAY too soon

And on the Time Machine tour they just got rid of it --- WTF.

The TM version is meh. Nothing like their prime with this material in 1988 on the HYF tour. To this day that tour still rings so true with me. Their playing on that tour was out of control spot on and the technology not nearly what they have today. All the triggering and timing (by all three of them) needed to pull off those songs in 1988 was awesome to watch.

I felt the TM tour was not an inspired tour playing wise IMO. They sizzled on the CA tour though with all the synth era tunes. Marathon was a let down for me on TM. The precision playing from Neil and Alex was missing big time on this version.

ASOH is the definitive live version.

And it is my favorite tune from Power Windows which is a top 5 album for me. Love it.

Edited by Todem

The Chorus from this one is my favorite from PoW, Couldn't get it out of my head when I first heard it. This one, for me, is a close 2nd from PoW just under The Big Money.
  • Like 2

The song probably has a universal message of anyone's circumstances to overcome.

In "Marathon" for instance, which is about the triumph of time and a kind of message to myself (because I think life is too short for all the things that I want to do), there's a self- admonition saying that life is long enough. You can do a lot -- just don't burn yourself out too fast trying to do everything at once.

"Marathon" is a song about individual goals and trying to achieve them. And it's also about the old Chinese proverb: 'The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.'

http://www.2112.net/...iancomposer.htm

• Like 1

Great tune that I sadly wasn't aware of until the Time Machine tour (saw the show in Ottawa, which was an excellent show btw).

Bought the Power Windows cd a couple of years later for a long road trip, and it was highly enjoyable.

• Like 2